Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:17 AM

53,213 posts, read 34,974,845 times

Advertisements

it's impossible to find a story on this in english that isnt paywalled.

apparently france is getting fed up with 'diversity.'
Quote:
Twenty retired generals have created a political storm in France with a call for a military takeover if President Macron fails to halt the “disintegration” of the country at the hands of Islamists.

The open letter, published in Valeurs Actuelles, a right-wing news magazine, has gained resonance after a Tunisian Islamist stabbed to death a 49-year-old woman who worked at a police station in Rambouillet, in the western Paris commuter belt, on Friday.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...ance-qlzk9xs29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 11:50 AM

35,420 posts, read 17,334,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunov View Post
I thought french did not have military after napoleon. Didnt germany walk inside france during ww2?
Tell that to the French casualties in the Great War n/k/a WW I. For better or worse the French people were unwilling to have another war fought to the last Frenchman. Also, France was destitute and in chaos after WW I. Through the 1930's just about every day's issue of the N.Y. Times had some article, often front page or headline, about a change of government or riots in France. Their military capabilities degenerated after WW I, not after Napoleon.

I would not be surprised if there is some truth to the OP.France has a lengthy history of turns towards authoritarianism in between periods of liberty. DeGaulle followed closely on the heals of the Third Republic, which was also chaotic. The military was involved in government in the 1890's following the Paris Commune. Napoleon of course followed the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror, eventually installing himself as emperor. France seems to lack the ability to hold to a calm center.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:03 PM

4,392 posts, read 4,262,590 times
The French military authorities appear to be treading very carefully here. One issue is whether or not the retired generals breached the statute limiting their public speech. Apparently a similar case occurred where a retired officer had his military privileges taken away for calling for a demonstration against a migrant camp in Calais. In this case, there is a concern that there are active service members among the hundreds of additional signers of the document.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie...s_4386941.html

Old 04-29-2021, 07:40 AM

10,059 posts, read 4,795,091 times
Macron now wants those generals sanctioned.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/2...-war-in-france

France is also less than 4 years away from the 24 Olympics, has to answer to the EU and already experienced various terror attacks. Even the fuel taxes a couple of years ago seemed to cause daily Portland like protests. I don't know if it will be just the Muslims and am sure Antifa will want to make an appearance. Which means Macron will be incentivized to crackdown but too hard that will cause more issues I think.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:43 AM

21,427 posts, read 7,507,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
... and am sure Antifa will want to make an appearance ...
More fantasy.

People make stuff up as they go ...

Old 04-29-2021, 07:44 AM

17,034 posts, read 12,656,781 times
Quote:

France is also less than 4 years away from the 24 Olympics, has to answer to the EU and already experienced various terror attacks. Even the fuel taxes a couple of years ago seemed to cause daily Portland like protests. I don't know if it will be just the Muslims and am sure Antifa will want to make an appearance. Which means Macron will be incentivized to crackdown but too hard that will cause more issues I think.
Tough road to walk. Left enough to survive in Europe but not so far as to turn into the USA SJW twitter mob and Portland OR.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
More fantasy.

People make stuff up as they go ...
Antifa has it's roots in Europe. Antifa came to the US as a movement.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:10 AM

4,339 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:

The French have always been excellent at civil unrest. This is nothing new. The yellow jackets (or gilet jaunes) have only been curbed by the pandemic, after starting almost daily protests since 2018.

I went there in 1992, and the French truck drivers had blocked the port over some kind of fuel tax issue, so I had to get back on the boat and go to Belgium instead.

The French aren't afraid to go to the streets and make their feelings known.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:12 AM

815 posts, read 741,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's impossible to find a story on this in english that isnt paywalled.

apparently france is getting fed up with 'diversity.'
Maybe there"s a reason for that....

Old 04-29-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
The French have always been excellent at civil unrest. This is nothing new. The yellow jackets (or gilet jaunes) have only been curbed by the pandemic, after starting almost daily protests since 2018.

I went there in 1992, and the French truck drivers had blocked the port over some kind of fuel tax issue, so I had to get back on the boat and go to Belgium instead.

The French aren't afraid to go to the streets and make their feelings known.
It always seems the protests in Europe were much more vigorous compared to the US minus the 1960s and recent elections.

I think the fuel tax is one of many flash points in part because aren't immigrants taking driver jobs as much as anyone else there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies