Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Here is an article I just read....

Drivers already stung by higher gas prices may have a new complaint.

A new mix of fuel may send less pollution through a vehicle's tailpipe, but is E-10 bad for the engine, and does it really have just 10 percent ethanol?

Formula One Tire and Auto Care in Longwood is testing gasoline to diagnose engine problems. They said 10 percent ethanol can cause problems in vehicles six years and older by clogging fuel filters.

"You're talking thousands (of dollars) if it destroys a fuel system," Formula One Tire and Auto Care representative Craig Smith said.

In two of three cars tested, the gasoline had 11 or 12 percent ethanol. That worried customer John Cinke. If his car has too much ethanol, he said he'll want the gas station investigated.

"(I'm) purchasing gas that could potentially damage my engine," Cinke said.

Ethanol can also be a big problem for small engines, like those on Weed Eaters and lawn mowers, because it can eat up rubber fuel lines.

"It actually slowly dry rots or even if it's too high a percentage, I've seen it melt down fuel lines," Kershaw's Mower and Equipment representative Greg Thomas said.

Manufacturers are sending ethanol test kits to repair shops, and if it's above 10 percent, warranties may be voided.

Worried boat owners also are flooding dealers with calls about ethanol. Experts said newer boats with aluminum tanks are OK with ethanol.

If too much ethanol is found in a vehicle, a mechanic will likely drain the gas tank and refill it with new fuel. The fuel filter may also need to be replaced, which can cost $75 to $80.

By mid-summer, mechanics said they expect to see more customers with ethanol problems.

Now, here is just one thing which really goes against my grain...this stuff is made from corn, right? Corn is cheap....yet, gas prices are still on the rise, with no end in sight???????? Sheeesh, ain't this grand? Just like back in the 60's....there isn't any gas shortage/the earth is constantly making oil....and to boot, we've got plenty of our own oil right here in the U.S. that we could be drilling for??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
The overregulation of the financial markets is beginning

Senate Democrats: Close oil speculation loophole - May. 8, 2008

This will be a very bad place to do business in the coming years. People seem to forget that there are many other viable markets in the world that are already or may soon be less regulated than the US.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Now, here is just one thing which really goes against my grain...this stuff is made from corn, right? Corn is cheap....yet, gas prices are still on the rise, with no end in sight???????? Sheeesh, ain't this grand? Just like back in the 60's....there isn't any gas shortage/the earth is constantly making oil....and to boot, we've got plenty of our own oil right here in the U.S. that we could be drilling for??????
What a simplistic way to look at the problem. First corn is not really that "cheap." Also, ethanol has other problems such a storage, transport, etc. I read somewhere that ethanol has problems with bugs because it is essentially made of corn syrup.

Ethanol is essentially a stop gap. It is not a solution. It's simply there for people in this country that have to drive miles and miles each day (without transport options) because of the short-sighted decisions made by millions of Americans.

Face the facts folks. The end of cheap fuel is over. Each year, there are like 10 million new cars coming on the roads in China alone. It's time to come to terms with that reality.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
What a simplistic way to look at the problem. First corn is not really that "cheap." Also, ethanol has other problems such a storage, transport, etc. I read somewhere that ethanol has problems with bugs because it is essentially made of corn syrup.

Ethanol is essentially a stop gap. It is not a solution. It's simply there for people in this country that have to drive miles and miles each day (without transport options) because of the short-sighted decisions made by millions of Americans.

Face the facts folks. The end of cheap fuel is over. Each year, there are like 10 million new cars coming on the roads in China alone. It's time to come to terms with that reality.
Hi Irwin
wull, don't they put Ethanol in all gasolines?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi Irwin
wull, don't they put Ethanol in all gasolines?
Not all but they use it as an additive in some places that have air quality issues.

Again, it is a stop-gap. It is not a solution to the problem. The problem is that Americans simply drive too much! No one wants to say this but that is the problem. And the real solution is for people to drive less. This would reduce our oil dependence, improve our air quality, improve our health, help address climate change, positively affect our foreign policy...the list goes on.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
[quote=irwin;3704659 The problem is that Americans simply drive too much! [/quote]

Define "too much" -

I suggest that Americans drive as much as they need to. Employment. Kids to school and recreation. Vacations. Recreational lifestyles. Shopping.

The way it is in the US

Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Define "too much" -

I suggest that Americans drive as much as they need to. Employment. Kids to school and recreation. Vacations. Recreational lifestyles. Shopping.

The way it is in the US
And that way is going to change. The status quo is not sustainable.

You are very good at pointing out the "way it is." I have no argument with you there. But the "way it is" is exhibit A for the proposition that Americans drive way too much. The fact that millions of Americans (perhaps the majority of Americans) literally cannot do anything without a car points to that fact.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
And that way is going to change. The status quo is not sustainable.

You are very good at pointing out the "way it is." I have no argument with you there. But the "way it is" is exhibit A for the proposition that Americans drive way too much. The fact that millions of Americans (perhaps the majority of Americans) literally cannot do anything without a car points to that fact.
Our lifestyle in the United States - including they "things" that Americans are involved in, more often than not, necessitate an vehicle.

Again - while there may be some reduction in the total miles driven, by and large, and IMO, we drive what we need and have to.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Our lifestyle in the United States - including they "things" that Americans are involved in, more often than not, necessitate an vehicle.

Again - while there may be some reduction in the total miles driven, by and large, and IMO, we drive what we need and have to.
Necessity and reality can be parallel or orthogonal.

I'm thinking more the latter.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:

very good post & point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies