Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:12 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
DFW is an extremely hot and high priced market. We sold our home last year, height of pandemic, over asking, with multiple offers within days of listing. Texas is no longer the “huge house, low price” situation it once was.

Don’t you live in TX?

jcp123 was responding to the OP.

The OP referenced the city of Dallas, not the DFW market overall.

jcp123 didn't say Texas is the huge house, low price situation it once was.

Yes, jcp123 lives in the Tyler area.

The average price of a home in the city of Dallas being 500k of not, and the DFW area being hot (high percentage increases) are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I mean, what feature is it missing ?

1. Mountains (driving to ski in eastern/southeastern New Mexico isn't easy.

2. No quick access to the Gulf/Atlantic/Pacific.

3. Have to experience hot summers (as does Houston), but doesn't normally avoid harsher winter weather to the extent that Houston does.

Etc.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
YES! LOL, like it or not, hordes of people don't require a fabulous view of the mountains and/or a short drive to the beach, in order to move to insanely fast growing big cities, such as Dallas. The same with Austin and San Antonio.

IMO, Austin's 'setting' is better than the DFW area, but I still prefer meandering/driving around the DFW area. Perhaps I just have bad luck/hit the streets at the wrong times but, to me, driving around the Austin metro is ugh/frustrating re the traffic/nature of the traffic.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:08 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
Where I live a single family home can cost as much as 500k. It's ridiculous. I mean even a 75k house would be too much for me considering I'm not trying to stay here but I don't understand why it's like half the price of San Diego.

Then again why is San Diego still so much money as well? I thought everyone was trying to leave there because of fires or whatever and now there's a strict lockdown in CA? I doubt anyone is trying to move there as everyone who discovers that I'm trying to live there looks at me like I have two heads.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:13 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
This needs to stop NOW... anyone owning more than 2 R-1 zoned properties should have to pay triple the property taxes on all of them. We can't have large corporations and wealthy investors buying up entire neighborhoods and renting them out. This puts a squeeze on the middle class.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
No offense but why? Dallas, and most of Texas just doesn't seem all that desirable to me, unless someone is moving there for solely economic reasons. Dallas in particular doesn't really have any notable natural feature or amenity that would draw someone there.

That's the crazy thing about the housing market at this point. Even cheap, so-so places seem overvalued at the moment.
It's all in what you personally find desirable. Plenty of folks love Dallas and the amenities the city can provide and aren't really into the "natural features". Those who care about the "natural features" live in the parts of Texas that has them. I lived in the Texas Hill Country which is breathtakingly beautiful.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Awesome mountain views and a short drive to the beach. But that is why coastal California is so highly expensive. Much of the interior of the country is ruler flat with few trees and then you go to the ridiculously opposite to the extreme how cheap housing can be.
But by that logic, the only cities worth living in are on the coasts, or along the Rockies or Appalachians.

Quote:
Lots of houses in fading small towns where nobody wants to move to for under $100,000.
Honestly, its land that is expensive. You can go to home builder sites all day and fine models that they will build for less than 80,000.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
This needs to stop NOW... anyone owning more than 2 R-1 zoned properties should have to pay triple the property taxes on all of them. We can't have large corporations and wealthy investors buying up entire neighborhoods and renting them out. This puts a squeeze on the middle class.
I'm ok with that but I'm thinking of unintended consequences or loopholes.
corporations setting up more shell corporations to get around it.
municipalities preferring corporations or people who have multiple properties for the extra tax revenue.

as an RE guy myself that has multiple properties each under it's own LLC, this would not impact me.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:58 AM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Well society tells you renting is worse than speeding in a school zone, so it's no wonder everyone thinks get a massive house is the key to all of our problems.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:04 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Supply and demand. Alot of people want to live in Denver, Austin, San Diego, and Dallas. There is a reason it's cheaper to live in Buffalo or Cleveland than in the aforementioned cities. There is a reason for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies