Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This is not "one health care worker" but the person who would make the final decision on this. The other option is to let the mask mandate expire. Let businesses and or local governments decide what is best in their area.

Wood said he is reviewing all the feedback to see if changes are needed before he makes a final decision by May 4, when the current rules lapse.
Nothing in there suggests it is inevitable. I stand by my statement.

Reviewing -- doesn't mean inevitable.

Instead of renewing the mask mandate -- one person has suggested making the mandate effective as long as we have a pandemic.

I suspect it won't pass.

You fear it will pass.

It's all feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 08:31 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I can tell you in Texas they claimed it would be very bad when they lifted the mask mandate, yet nothing. And I would say still about 80% (at least) wear these bacteria traps on their face. People are so conditioned now they will still wear them even if you drop the mandate, and businesses will still enforce them. Don't worry though cause the states with mask mandates have so much better numbers to back their data up...remember follow the science but don't debate it.

Amazing how we never used a mask before and now people think a piece of cloth saves everyone from supposedly the deadliest virus ever.
If someone chooses to wear a mask I say more power to them. Its funny when you see people alone in their vehicles with a mask on. Too many people just mindlessly comply.

There is no clear link that making people wear masks when they go into businesses or in public overall lowers the overall numbers of covid cases. I think the vast majority of covid cases are spread in private homes. I challenge anyone to prove that is not the case.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:31 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your title and post imply that this permanent mandate is 100% inevitable.

Clearly the article suggests one health care worker is proposing it and there is nothing to suggest it will be accepted.

And it does not say permanently -- it says until the pandemic designation is removed.

It would be cause for concern if it was truly inevitable that this mandate would pass AND that the pandemic designation would never be removed but it isn't clear that these two factors will occur.

I find it faschinating that people fear something that might happen under certain conditions but have no fear of medical guidelines based on science.....but you know -- I'm funny like that.

(For the record, I can't wait to stop wearing a mask and fortunately live in a community where as vaccination rates improve, case loads are plateauing. I'm hoping that trend continues and we can remove our masks soon).
Michael Wood, head of Oregon OSHA said he will make his decision on 5/5 about indefinite mask mandate.
Oregon still has very strict restrictions in place...social gatherings of no more than 6, retail capacity of 25% and all schools are still online only.

https://ktvz.com/news/2021/04/17/as-...arking-uproar/

Old 04-18-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
If someone chooses to wear a mask I say more power to them. Its funny when you see people alone in their vehicles with a mask on. Too many people just mindlessly comply.

There is no clear link that making people wear masks when they go into businesses or in public overall lowers the overall numbers of covid cases. I think the vast majority of covid cases are spread in private homes. I challenge anyone to prove that is not the case.
They have been convinced if they take their mask off they will die of covid.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:33 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I'm so tired of conservatives whining about masks. Just wear them until the virus is conquered. It's not that hard.
Very unscientific to believe government policies will conquer this virus.

Covid-19, and its' siblings will not be conquered. This strain, and type, of virus is not going away.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Very unscientific to believe government policies will conquer this virus.

Covid-19, and its' siblings will not be conquered. This strain, and type, of virus is not going away.
Pfizer CEO has taken to the media to say it's looking like annual boosters for covid.

And Moderna/Pfizer have boosters in trials since mid March. They knew..they knew that this was not a "one and done".

Old 04-18-2021, 08:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
As mask mandates end, Oregon bucks trend with permanent rule

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...30da5a8648af95

I lived in Oregon about 20 years ago. I will never live there again. What kind of nonsense is this?
Per the link:

β€œ A top health official is CONSIDERING indefinitely extending rules requiring masks and social distancing in all businesses in the state. The PROPOSAL would keep rules in place UNTIL no longer necessary. β€œ

Old 04-18-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Per the link:

β€œ A top health official is CONSIDERING indefinitely extending rules requiring masks and social distancing in all businesses in the state. The PROPOSAL would keep rules in place UNTIL no longer necessary. β€œ
He proposed and will make his final decision on 5/5.
With all the other tight restrictions they have I think this will go through.
They are still at "only 6 can gather" restrictions. Their stores are at 25% capacity.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nothing in there suggests it is inevitable. I stand by my statement.

Reviewing -- doesn't mean inevitable.

Instead of renewing the mask mandate -- one person has suggested making the mandate effective as long as we have a pandemic.

I suspect it won't pass.

You fear it will pass.

It's all feelings.

Where are you getting that its something that has to be passed? From what I have read this is the Oregon OSHA. Wood is the head of it. Part of the job of Oregon OSHA is the health and safety of people who work in Oregon. Wood has the authority to decide the safety of people who work in Oregon. He can make them wear masks while working and make the general public wear masks who come on contact with Oregon workers. So if anyone in Oregon goes into a store or office of any kind they are required to wear masks. That is how its been there for a year. Apparently to keep the mask mandate they need to make it permanent. That is what Wood is deciding on. A lot of power for someone.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They have been convinced if they take their mask off they will die of covid.

Perhaps the think their car might be infected with covid and they don't want to catch it from their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies