Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 01:33 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I would argue Californians don’t have that much fun. They can’t afford to with the high taxes and high cost of living. Only a few wealthy have money to have fun out there. The rest are working day to day just to pay rent and put food on the table. It is NOTHING like Florida.
Maybe. I’ll admit I grew up in what might be considered an upper-middle class household - Pa was pretty much always a director or some sort of senior manager at high tech firms, my Ma was a bit of a do-it-all at the places she worked, though her title was Administrative Assistant. They e never really talked about their salaries, but I’d have to guess $300k/yr combined? It was plenty fun, at least at that level, but even as a high schooler there was plenty of cheap-ish fun to be had camping, sneaking drinks, going to the beach, getting in the car and canyon carving, etc. My Pa doesn’t miss California one bit since his retirement, and I don’t blame him for that at all. My Ma and I do though.

About all that’s fundamentally different for having fun out there vs Florida are gun laws, fireworks, and now the California exhaust law (my high school Mustang would be sssssoooooooo illegal in California now).

That said, wages tend to sort of keep up...maybe not entirely, but partly. When I left California in 2005, for instance, In n Out Burger started new hires at $14/hr, and I did filing after school at my Ma’s company for $15/hr, which was their standard rate for any low-level work such as janitors, cafeteria folks, etc. While expensive, it’s not impossible to be kind of OK in California even outside of what we think of as big-buck jobs.

Florida is cheap and pays cheaply, so not much difference there. Florida does have this kind of cool holdover from pirate days in its culture, so I rather like Florida in a lot of ways. Blue states seem more apt to pass recreational marijuana, which is definitely fun. Florida is interesting because it’s probably the reddest state in the nation with both such a diverse population, and a population which tends to reflect really eclectic and interesting arts, foods, and cultural experiences. I’d more or less say that Florida is a bit of an exception to the normal red state “rule” of usually being a tad bit homogenous/boring, yet quiet, polite, productive and safe.

Oh but back on topic: yeah, I again don’t think the Sheriff is entirely off-base saying what he said, but I still don’t think there’s the straight-up correlation between having fun and politics he seems to assert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 01:37 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,585,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
Lol I'm not. Do you not stand by your comment? If you do, then by extension, you dislike law enforcement and safety.
This isn't about me. Try and stay on topic.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:40 PM

2,828 posts, read 828,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not comfortable with law enforcement taking an antagonistic position with roughly half the citizens, simply for the way they exercise their democratic right to vote. Not good.

That's kinda the start of fascism I mean, when law enforcement can be coerced into fulfilling political as well as public safety roles.
He is not being antagonistic, he's just sayin don't come here and act like an A**HOLE! And the way things are today I don't blame him.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:44 PM

2,828 posts, read 828,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why can't you post a little more information if you're going to start a thread. The point of the photo OP was an appearance for an anti-rioting bill, sure that should be effective. The Florida Sheriffs are the first place to start police reform.

Just pandering to the right wing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/do...cid=uxbndlbing
No he just speaks the truth.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:46 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,439,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
He is not being antagonistic, he's just sayin don't come here and act like an A**HOLE!
Simply voting D does not make someone an *******.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,284,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
He is not being antagonistic, he's just sayin don't come here and act like an A**HOLE! And the way things are today I don't blame him.
Bingo...and his point is obviously getting acrossed as folks are already saying they won’t go into Florida because of it...although I’d wager most will still visit this lovely state.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:49 PM

19,295 posts, read 17,174,435 times
"Florida Sheriff Gives Stern Warning to Those Moving From Blue States"

Florida Sheriff can pack sand if he doesn't like it...

Old 04-21-2021, 01:50 PM

52,856 posts, read 34,721,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Did you type that from your basement in a blue state hellhole while wearing two useless cloth masks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Parents basement
hehe!
yup.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:50 PM

1,503 posts, read 610,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Simply voting D does not make someone an *******.
Voting for a*****es makes that person a*****e.
Quite simple.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:53 PM

1,503 posts, read 610,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Message received loud and clear Sheriff, I'll be sure and keep my investment and tourist dollars out of Florida. Thanks !
If you could keep this promise, we would be thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies