Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should drinking age be lowered to 18 from 21 ?
YES ,to 18 74 59.20%
NO,to 21 45 36.00%
BETWEEN 18-21 6 4.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:45 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,122 times

Advertisements

The only problem with 0% is that things like cough medicine, mouthwashes etc have alcohol in them and they would register on the breath test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
two beers then drive??

Is that legal there?

Here in Norway that wud be called drunk driving.
LOL! Well these were vintage 1970s Classic American Watery Beers- very weak compared to what you probably drink over there. And we are talking about 2 beers drunk over several hours, so no, that was not in the same universe as drunk driving.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,695,018 times
Enforcing the 21-yo law is useless. Go to any campus. Do you think those under 21 stare at their drunk older friends with a coke in their hand? Once you're old enough to enlist or buy a gun, you should be able to drink too. Oh, BTW, those who want to buy alcohol, they'll do it anyway, either with fake ID's or having an over-21 do it for them

Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,084,323 times
I am new to this discussion so if this has already been said.

We have been down the path of 18-21 drinking age before and states had a good reason to raise it from 18 to 21. The issue is not college students drinking the real issue and concern is high school age students drinking. The number of 15-17 year olds hanging out with 21 years old is minimal yet the number of 18 year olds associating with is considerable. Do you want you 16 year old out in social circles with those who can buy them alcohol?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times
In a word NO. At 18 I served my country, understood responcibility and very seldom drank. Many 18 year olds are like I was at 18. Many more are not. Watch how they drive. Watch how they are at work. No they don't need any help to act even more foolish. The argument that because it is illegal makes them do it more proves my point. Mature rational people don't binge drink to flaunt the law. mature people don't feel the need to slam hard drink to show off.
No let them age and mature a bit longer. It won't kill them to wait. Can the same be said about making it ok at 18?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 PM

133 posts, read 498,682 times
I was under the impression that, when enlisted in the military, you are allowed to consume alcohol ON BASE at 18. If you are found off base, you are subjected to the civilian laws of 21, but on base (meaning a bar or something literally on base) you are allowed to purchase and consume at 18. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I recall reading that somewhere. Also, I know that, as been said here already, in many states it is legal for an 18 year old to drink alcohol as long as they are with a parent - they just can't BUY it.

Regarding the 16 year olds hanging out with 21 year olds argument - 16 y/o may not directly be friends with the 21 y/o, but an 18 y/o is an easy in-between - old enough to be in the same social circle as the 21 y/o, but young enough to hang out with the 16 y/o. That easily brings the 16 and 21 year olds together, and the 16 y/o is exposed to alcohol. The whole "must be 21 to drink" law is just a label.

Just for the record - I am 21. I drank when I was 16 because I felt I could handle the responsibilities. I didn't get my license until I was 18 because I didn't feel ready. I can recognize the things I feel I am ready for vs. those I am not. Once I take even half a shot (or a sip of beer - yes, a SIP), I don't drive. I'm not going to risk it. My friends are the same way. One person stays sober at all times, if only to control the keys and keep an eye on everyone's behavior. We are very responsible regarding alcohol and driving. I understand that not everybody is like that (I know for a fact most are not), but there are many that are. I don't drink to get drunk - never have. I might have a few, relax, have a good time, but I don't do it for the sole purpose of getting trashed. A hangover is not going to be a regular part of my life

As for the drinking age being lowered, I think it should be 16 with parental supervision, 19 at a private residence (w/o parental supervision), and 21 in a commercial establishment (bar, restaurant, etc).

Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,014 times
Default absolutely NOT

There is NO WAy that the drinking age should be lowerd .

As a matter of fact we need to enforce it more..

Alchohol is bad enough in the bodies of mature adults.. but in the bodies of 18 year olds.. well.. lets just say i remember being 18 and seeing what 18 year olds that are drunk do and how really stupid they are..

go to any 18 and over club where 18 yr olds end up drinking.. then go to a bar/club with a more mature 21 and older or even 23 and older crowd.. you'll see a BIG difference.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM

243 posts, read 704,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL! Well these were vintage 1970s Classic American Watery Beers- very weak compared to what you probably drink over there. And we are talking about 2 beers drunk over several hours, so no, that was not in the same universe as drunk driving.
Ah okey.. like the store beer in sweden then.
yeas thats difrent

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,677,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
There is NO WAy that the drinking age should be lowerd .

As a matter of fact we need to enforce it more..

Alchohol is bad enough in the bodies of mature adults.. but in the bodies of 18 year olds.. well.. lets just say i remember being 18 and seeing what 18 year olds that are drunk do and how really stupid they are..

go to any 18 and over club where 18 yr olds end up drinking.. then go to a bar/club with a more mature 21 and older or even 23 and older crowd.. you'll see a BIG difference.
No matter how much you hate alcohol underaged teens are gonna drink beer and other alcoholic drinks. And you need to wake and realize whatever the government bans, it loses control over it. Let's do something very, very right and good by dropping the legal drinking age to 18 so the government can have better control over how teens from 18 to 20 are drinking.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,815,078 times
I was able to legally drink at age 18. There was far less underage drinking at that time. Most people didn't engage in drinking until they were around 18.

Now kids 14 or 15 years old regularly engage in drinking and many underage parties are quite popular among 17 and 18 year olds. Since the opportunities to obtain alcohol are more restricted these kids tend to really let loose at these parties.

If one is legally considered an adult and able to enter into contracts on their own (including marriage) then they should be able to purchase and consume alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies