Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Well 'Power to the People' is obviously empowering the 'average' worker, whereas 'Power to the CEOs' is obviously empowering the 'haves and Have-mores', 'his Base' to quote Bush'.
Actually, conservatives believe in powering those that want to be empowered and work for it, not those that expect others to be empowered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I'm trying to figure out if that's more Marxist than the President and Treasury Secretary colluding with a supposedly independent Federal Reserve system to bail out Bear Stearns through reduced purchasing power of the dollar?
Bear Stearns did not receive a bailout.. jees..

They received a loan guarantee, and while I disagree with the guarantee, its only a bailout if the loan defaults.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
In your convenient little fantasy, the CEO makes about 8 times more than the little worker. That is not remotely close to the "350 times more" figure the OP is talking about.
How exactly does this affect your ability to earn as much as well???

Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Peeons making less than 50K??!!! That works to over 4000 a month!!! Not poor in my book. Struggling to make mortgage payment? I dont get it.
All depends on what part of the country one lives.. $50K in NYC is poor.. $50K in Boise ID is way above luxury.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In view of that and after nearly 8 years of Bush, I'll take that into account and be sure to vote for a Democrat for president in November. After all, the stock market does a lot better when a Democrat is president, instead of a Republican. I don't know how many times the stock market doubled while under Clinton, but while under Bush it hasn't doubled so much as once! Forget the NASDAQ. And under Clinton, it was all done with less disparity between the CEO and the worker underneath.
Actually the stock market does a lot better with a Republican Congress.. whoever is president has little reaction upon the stock market because its the Congress that controls spending and thereby stimulates or harms the stock market.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
Illegal Aliens can come into this land of opportunity, work below minimum wage, send over half of it back "home," and still smile when they ask you if you want fries with that.
I like that and plan to use it..

Old 05-15-2008, 02:40 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually the stock market does a lot better with a Republican Congress.. whoever is president has little reaction upon the stock market because its the Congress that controls spending and thereby stimulates or harms the stock market.
When the president decides to invade another country, war equipments are needed. Defense companies will sell more war equipments. As a result, their profits will increase. The market usually rewards companies with increased profits.

Some patients have died from taking drugs made by companies from overseas. Concerned about the safety of foreign made drugs, congress has drafted a bill prohibiting the import of overseas drugs. All it needs to become law is the president's signature. As expected, the president signs the bill. Sales of US made drugs skyrocket and results in huge profits for US drugs companies. Wall Street cheered by boosting shares of these companies to new heights.

These are just two examples of how a president's decision can have vast influence on the stock market.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-15-2008 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In view of that and after nearly 8 years of Bush, I'll take that into account and be sure to vote for a Democrat for president in November. After all, the stock market does a lot better when a Democrat is president, instead of a Republican. I don't know how many times the stock market doubled while under Clinton, but while under Bush it hasn't doubled so much as once! Forget the NASDAQ. And under Clinton, it was all done with less disparity between the CEO and the worker underneath.
Uh , yeah, Clinton can thank the dot com boom for that , but if I am not mistaken the stock market was breaking records during Bush's term, not that I think its the president's job to provide jobs and keep wall street happy!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Right now US CEOs are making 350 times the company's average worker's pay. In Japan, the CEO makes 55 times. I think the Conservatives are winning.
I'd say...the side with the money is the side with the power...

Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
If you believe(d) Bush when he says that he is a conservative then that's your problem. Neoconservative? Sure. Conservative? Absolutely not.
Bush is a neo-liberal institutionalist, just like his daddy, and just like the Clintoons.

The terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' are generally misapplied in all circumstances. For example, I am a flaming liberal with respect to economics, an ultra-conservative with respect to social and domestic issues and I am neither a liberal, a conservative, a radical, a neo-liberal institutionalist nor a neo-conservative with respect to foreign policy, rather I'm a constructivist.

A radical views foreign policy from a Marxian stand-point, that the history of country, particularly the history of class struggle and conflict within a country dictates the actions of the state.

A constructivist accepts the radical view as generally true, but recognizes that geography and demographics are factors that take precedence and are the greatest influence on how a state will act. For example, as a constructivist, I see no logical reason for Iraq to exist, since it is an artificial construct created by the pig-headed liquour-swilling fat oaf Winston Churchill. It was he who drew the borders of Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, and the states on the Arabian Peninsula, and he had no right, no legal, moral, ethical basis to do so, and he did so without the consent of the peoples (and to and insult to injury, he appointed the Sunni Saudi King Faisal as sovereign and lord over the majority Shi'a peoples in Iraq).

A constructivist recognizes that Iraq is neither a nation nor a nation-state, but rather a large group of nations, organized as tribes, supra-tribes, clans and supra-clans, and consequently, the best course of action would have been to create an independent Kurdistan, an independent Shi'a Iraq, and then merge the Sunnis with Syria and/or Saudi Arabia, or allow them to stand as an independent state, based on a referendum of the people.

A liberal believes that people and states are basically good, and that stability is best induced through cooperative security agreements, like the Warsaw Pact, NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, OAS, etc. Colin Powell and Alexander Haig are liberals.

A neo-liberal institutionalist also believes that people and states are basically good, but they place less emphasis on cooperative security arrangements, and more emphasis on GOs (Government Organizations like the UN and EU), NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations like Amnesty International, Red Cross, Green Peace, Doctors Without Borders etc), and MNCs (Multi-National Corporations like Coca-Cola, Ford, GM, Con-Agra, CremerGruppe, etc). The neo-liberals rely heavily on MNCs, supported by GOs, to maintain peace and stability. Again, examples would be Bush, his daddy, the Clintoons and many others.

A conservative assumes that people and states are basically selfish and will always act out of their own selfish interests, and for that reason, the threat of force or the use of force is necessary. They are willing to work within the framework of cooperative security agreements, but they see no value to them, as they are too bureaucratic to take swift and decisive action to avert a crisis, or intervene in time to lessen the impact of a crisis. There are too many conservatives to name, but Jimmy Carter was a prominent one that comes to mind.

A neo-conservative adopts the same view as a conservative, but adds two additional positions, one being the preemptive use of force, and the other being a fervently pro-Israel stance.

Sorry folks, but it wasn't Bush, it was Carter and his Carter Doctrine who first promogulated the neo-conservative position of the preemptive use of force, that the US could intervene and interfere in the Persian Gulf and Persian Gulf States for any reason or no reason at all to protect vital US national interests.

The Carter Doctrine was written by Zbigniew Brzezinski and Gary Sick, both neo-conservatives.

So, I'm laughing at the superior intellect. Y'all think getting rid of Bush will get rid of the neo-cons? It will not. You should look closely at Neo-Bama-con's foreign policy advisors, who include some of the biggest neo-cons around, namely Brzezinski and his son Mark, Tony Lake, Shapiro and half a dozen others.

And don't forget the 1 Million or so neo-cons in the alphabet agencies and cabinet positions. You can't get rid of them because they are hired as public servants, bureaucrats, civilian employees, not elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies