Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 08:58 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But Alaska has cracked the top 10 in 2014 and 2015.

Alaska doesn't have that many people in general. 733,000. It never has had that many people. However, Alaska has a history of above average homicide rates.

Between 1960 and 1989, the majority of those years saw Alaska's murder rate reach 10 per 100,000 or higher. This includes 1982, when it reached 18.5 murders per 100,000. The 1990s were the first decade where no year finished at 10 per 100,000. The 2000s in Alaska's calmest years and into the early 2010s. The murder rate started going back up from 2015 and after. Alaska started with 4.3 per 100,000 in 2010. In 2019, Alaska had a murder rate of 9.4 per 100,000. Alaska had a murder rate of 10.8 per 100,000, the first time it reached double digits since 1989.

Alaska is around 3 percent Black, or about 22,001 (down from 23,437 in 2010). Alaska's Black population has decreased by 1,436. And the Black homicide increased (as well as Alaska's homicide rate over all).
Places like Alaska will usually have higher murder rates in part because for 4 months there is little or no sunshine. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing. Combine that with alcohol and drugs, you have a recipe for disaster.
In the specific example of Alaska, the climate must be factored in. And given the small population, the ratios are skewed to make it appear Alaska is more violent than it actually is.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't want anything to do with that particular person you're speaking of. Anyone who looks down on Black Americans (I'm Black American by the way) and wants nothing to do with them, I want nothing to do with those individuals. I don't care what race/ethnicity they are. Their attitudes tell me that they would look down on me as well. Yes, I take it personally. Change my mind.
Because you are playing the victim.

Explain why people acknowledging high crime rates by blacks affect you while the sky high rate of black single parenthood doesn't?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:04 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Typical statement from someone playing the victim. As if blacks are talked down to here.

Because you want to deflect from high rate of crime by blacks compared to other groups and the cause of that is the sky high single parenthood rate caused by welfare.

High crime is caused by single parenthood. Lack of jobs is another reason. Walkability of stores in the neighborhood is another. But mainly it's about being raised properly and anything else is just deflection away from the high rates of crime blacks commit compared to other groups.
Do you have any RATIONAL comments to offer?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:04 AM

78,424 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I was hoping that this would be discussed more about places, case by case. Why some places are doing better than others. For instance, why New York and Connecticut are doing better than Indiana and Missouri.
My 2 cents.

Most of the murders are going to be gang\drug related, poorer people in urban areas. There may be some variation but for the most part those are going to have high rates everywhere.

So, I think it is likely to boil down to each states economic and geographical diversity for blacks.

In short, which states have the larger swaths of educated wealthier suburban black families to off-set or water down the bad areas.

Missouri as discussed has the two urban centers but I don't know if there is much black population in other parts of the state\burbs to pull down the high urban murder rate.

Another possible factor following the whole education thing would be where college grad blacks choose to settle and there may be stronger draws to some parts of the country than others due to the types of jobs, desirability of being around concentrations of other black college grads etc.

Obviously going to be a whole bunch of factors but I think there is a segment that is HIGHLY likely to eventually get murdered and a segment that is very unlikely to get murdered and it's the distribution between the two groups by state that drive the totals.

P.S. I'd suggest more granularity but if you do that your data set of 2018 would get really randomly bumpy so you'd need to look at a lot more years to smooth variance. Even looking at say, Alaska, you can see one year is too small to be of use.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:05 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Because you are playing the victim.

Explain why people acknowledging high crime rates by blacks affect you while the sky high rate of black single parenthood doesn't?
The subject is murder rates, not general crime rates or single parenthood.

Again, do you have anything rational to offer?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:09 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Here’s another view of murder rates ( albeit without regard to race)

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rate-by-state

It reports that murder is disproportionately concentrated in densely populated urban areas with NOLA topping the list.

States, not cities, determine minimum sentencing and parole.

Counties, not cities, negotiate consequences and sentencing.

There appears to be somewhat of a disconnect in SOME states between size of black population and black murder rates.
I like that map. Maps are my thing.

I have another map, from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm

New Orleans is definitely a murderous city. Baton Rouge and Shreveport are pretty rough too. Alabama has a very high murder rate too. Birmingham and Montgomery are big players in that. Mi

There is a disconnect. One example is Mississippi, which borders Louisiana. Mississippi is 38% Black. Alot of its murders come from Jackson, MS. Mississippi's Black homicide rate is about 10.7 per 100,000. Mississippi has a high murder rate, but its Black homicide rate is lower than average. I suspect large numbers of Blacks living in rural areas play a big role.

Michigan, on the other hand, is about 13% Black, and has a Black population around 1.3 million (vs Mississippi's 1.1 million, so not all that far off). Michigan has frequently cracked the top 10 for Black homicide rates. Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, alot of Black on Black murders.

Louisiana is an enigma. It's very tough on crime. A high incarceration rate, the use of the death penalty, the state doesn't mess around. On the other hand, in New Orleans, it had its own way. Overburdened prosecutors, sloppy police work, the "no snitch" code, this made it hard to indict suspects within a timely manner.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:10 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In Missouri, Kansas City, St Louis and Springfield all have street gangs and a large number of drug addicts. I know Kansas City better than the other two and most murders are drug-related. They will kill because someone looked at them wrong. Years ago someone shot at my stepfather's car when he was headed to his job downtown. Police said it happened too often to even write up a report.
When you get into rural counties, it all changes. We have had one murder in my county in the last 10 years,other than a home owner shooting two home invaders. The survivor was charged with the murder of his partner.
you need to stop posting about places you've never lived. And i'm specifically talking about black neighborhoods. You've posted this false crap before. Most crimes are interpersonal crimes. People that know each other, domestic crimes. None of this "people look at you wrong" fantasy mess you keep spewing. A lot of these crimes are simply stuff like some male beats a woman and the woman's brother kills the other guy. The news rarely tells you what happened behind black murders. And that is 100% intentional. When white people murder each other you will notice the news will go out of their way to explain it in detail and give a reason WHY it happened. With black murders they just tell you a murder happened in a black area and leave it to people like you to create fan-fiction.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:10 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
The subject is murder rates, not general crime rates or single parenthood.

Again, do you have anything rational to offer?
And this is the thing. Single parenthood, we can discuss that on another thread. I've discussed it myself on other threads. I suspect it was only brought up as a deflection. There was no intention to offer anything rational.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Do you have any RATIONAL comments to offer?
hahahahahaha

What part of - "High crime is caused by single parenthood. Lack of jobs is another reason. Walkability of stores in the neighborhood is another. But mainly it's about being raised properly and anything else is just deflection away from the high rates of crime blacks commit compared to other groups."

don't you understand?

Do YOU have any comments with substance or are you going to deflect from the truth again?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:16 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Typical statement from someone playing the victim. As if blacks are talked down to here.

Because you want to deflect from high rate of crime by blacks compared to other groups and the cause of that is the sky high single parenthood rate caused by welfare.

High crime is caused by single parenthood. Lack of jobs is another reason. Walkability of stores in the neighborhood is another. But mainly it's about being raised properly and anything else is just deflection away from the high rates of crime blacks commit compared to other groups.
Okay, so you think the high crime is primarily single parenthood and lack of jobs? Have you looked at the data of the cities that also high black populations, but lower murder rates, to see if those cities have a higher percentage of two parent households and/or lower unemployment? Or are you just making assumptions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies