Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 PM

433 posts, read 1,770,783 times

Advertisements

You need to read this. If you want to keep control of your own healthcare you must act now. Our senior citizens are in danger.

Ruin Your Health With the Obama Stimulus Plan: Betsy McCaughey
Email | Print | A A A

Commentary by Betsy McCaughey

Feb. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Republican Senators are questioning whether President Barack Obama’s stimulus bill contains the right mix of tax breaks and cash infusions to jump-start the economy.
Tragically, no one from either party is objecting to the health provisions slipped in without discussion. These provisions reflect the handiwork of Tom Daschle, until recently the nominee to head the Health and Human Services Department.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Next time only post 1-2 paragraphs and a link to the original source.

Last edited by Yac; 02-11-2009 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,300,637 times
Thanks for posting this but these people here Love Obama and are thinking this is a good idea.They just don't get it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,852,151 times
The sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
My Congressman in Chaka Fattah, and my Senator is Bob Casey.

I think I'll pass.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,006,167 times
Bloomberg has a financial interest in seeing that Obama fails.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM

433 posts, read 1,770,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Bloomberg has a financial interest in seeing that Obama fails.

Are you kidding? It's time to come back to earth. This is fact. It is in the stimulus. Read Tom Daschle's book...it's all there in black and white.

I hope you won't be one of those people who complains when your elderly parents need some sort of treatment but the "formula" says they just aren't worth it.

This is going to cause many doctors to give up medicine. When that happen good luck getting treatment. Just ask those in the U.K. and other parts of Europe what they think of their health care system. They will tell Americans to stop whining and appreciate what they have.

Be very careful what you wish for.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
I guess I am not understanding something about this. In the UK and in Canada as well you can go to any doctor and get any treatment that you want so long as you paying for it yourself. The rules and regulations only come in if you are using subsidized (federal - government) medical care. Therefore, if you do not want to play by the rules then you have the option of paying for your own medical treatment.

That sounds about right to me. If you don't like how the government runs things (medical care included), unless I am misunderstanding this, you still have the option of making your own medical choices if you are doing it on a private pay basis.

Is this not correct? Somebody clue me in if I am wrong here.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
We are going to have to go to some degree of medical rationing in the country. That is just a fact. We spend lots of money trying to keep dying people alive when we should be spending money trying to keep alive people who should not be dying. The doctors and the government through Medical Boards should decide who gets what treatments. For example a 17 year old with stage 1 cancer would get the best treatment. An 84 year old with stage 3 cancer would get comfort treatment to ease his transition to death. As sad as death is, it is a fact of life. Most of us will one day face it. Americans need to learn to accept death as a consequence of life and make medical choices based upon quality of life issues- how much we spend on people vs the likely outcome and quality of life they will lead. I am of the view that people should not be allowed to lie around in comas for 20 and 30 years. After 2 years, if there is no sign of improvement, the plug should be pulled- whether or not the family approves. Also certain kind of people should be deemed more worthy than others when it comes to spending medical resources. People in prison that are violent or habitual criminals should not be given things like heart and lung transplants. There is only so much money and we need to spend it more wisely.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Is this not correct? Somebody clue me in if I am wrong here.

20yrsinBranson
You aren't.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am of the view that people should not be allowed to lie around in comas for 20 and 30 years. After 2 years, if there is no sign of improvement, the plug should be pulled- whether or not the family approves. .
I bet these people would disagree with you....

Polish Man Awakens From Nineteen Year Coma - Liberal Values - Defending Liberty and Enlightened Thought
THE ASTUTE BLOGGERS: MAN WAKES UP FROM 10 YEAR "COMA" - Terry Schiavo might've too...
Not quite dead yet; Man awakes from 19 year coma « The Final Taxi
To him, it was still 1988: the 'coma cop' awakens.(Gary Dockery) | Article from Newsweek | HighBeam Research

And so would you, if you were in a coma, I'll betcha.

20yrsinBranson
leave me plugged in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies