Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 08:58 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times

Advertisements

Is it okay if I still drink a pumpkin spice latte every morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We lived in a school system that was mainly upper middle class.

They had to cut class trips.

Class trips were usually not funded by the schools. So families would pay for their child to participate. Kids were often 'left behind' because Mom & Dad never sent in the funds.

Eventually the PTSA took over and funded most if not all the class trips. But it got costly.

Talk to the teachers -- it wasn't the poor kids whose parents didn't pay. It was the wealthy ones. They felt they didn't have to pay extra for their kid to go to the Science museum -- so they didn't. In that community that wealthy parent was most definitely a conservative.

So the school stopped field trips -- too hard to fund.

The woke parents often would send in their kids trip fee plus extra for some kid who didn't send it in. I did that for years. Until my son's teacher told me that while she appreciated it -- the kids that didn't pay were rarely the lower income families but the well to do group that just didn't bother.

I was roped into being a room mom many times. The parents who didn't send in valentine's or supplies for the holiday parents were were most likely just forgetful or 'I pay enough taxes'. The woke parents were the ones who sent in extra valentines for the kids who forgot.

So slam the woke people -- they were the ones trying to make sure all the kids could play.

And this was as woke as I got. I don't boycott or support businesses based on their political statements. If I want something I want it...I'm too lazy to cancel anybody.
Apples and pumpkins. Nobody was asked to pay for the Halloween parade.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is their religion in that school district or what church that would have a majority wanting to ban Halloween activities at the school?

Not saying you are wrong but why would the school blame it on POC?

I live in the bible belt, small rural community, with the majority religion being Baptist/Southern Baptist. I have come across a few evangelicals warning others of the evil of Halloween (satanic worship) but nearly all churches celebrate Halloween and certainly do not pressure the schools to ban any Halloween celebrations although I have noticed a transition moving from traditional Halloween to fall festivals as with Christmas to winter festivals. One of our Baptist churches even hosts a big Halloween event for kids to trick or treat and get candy and they provide games and food. Kids usually hit that after their regular trick or treating.
It's about the same here. One of the Methodist churches holds a fall festival on its lawn every year.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:28 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Is it okay if I still drink a pumpkin spice latte every morning?
Only after a sensitivity course.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:15 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
An elementary school in a town in MA is basically canceling it as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...een/%3Famp%3D1

No one seems to get it. I have never known anyone to not celebrate Halloween. I think it’s a holiday people look forward to after the summer. It’s kind of the beginning of the holiday season. I love it and will not ever give it up. I really hope people revolt on this one.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 PM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
They cancelled it because it's "non inclusive" ?? Halloween is probably the most inclusive holiday we have.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
perhaps because of this (from the article):

"In alliance with SPS's unwavering commitment to students of color, specifically African American males, the staff is committed to supplanting the Pumpkin Parade with more inclusive and educational opportunities during the school day," it said.
Once again. liberals are offensive under the guise of being helpful. What kid doesn't want to dress up for Halloween? In essence, they're blaming black boys for canceling the parade.

How hateful.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:44 PM

610 posts, read 264,202 times
I worked as an actor at a local haunted attraction for several years and the clientele was at least 50% African American. They must have missed the memo about ditching Halloween.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:55 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They cancelled it because it's "non inclusive" ?? Halloween is probably the most inclusive holiday we have.
That’s what I am thinking as well. Apparently Muslims and jehovahs witnesses don’t celebrate it. Who cares? The majority enjoys it.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:32 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I wish they would stop using 'POC' for everyone who isn't European white.

It completely removes their identity, their ancestry, ethnicity, etc., and takes away their characteristics.

It's demeaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies