Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
At the same time, tax-free pay and re-enlistment bonuses are great.

Mid-career enlistedmen often are looking at $65k/year tax-free income, plus the bonuses.

The highest bonus that I was eligible for was only $60k. But in 2001 it was raised to $90k.

With the tax-free income, we were eventually able to buy apartment buildings. We collected them at most of our duty stations. So with the military pension and rental income.
I could not agree more! I have a Son, and Daughter-in-Law, both are career mililtary. My son, a Master Chief, Daughter-in-Law a Captain. Time in service: He 19 years (has signed to extend to 25), She 17 (has signed to extend to 20).

When I found out what the bonus's were / are, I went to my local recruiter and said, "give me the forms to re-up"!

All in All, not a bad life.

Yes - they have both been deployed - He is on his 5th tour in OIF - she has been deployed twice. They were mutually deployed for 11 months at one time (I became Mr. Mom). So, it is not all fun and games either

Thanks for your service. Your country appreciates it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
It works both ways. Believe me, lots of men and women back there don't agree with the current administration's handling of the situation, nor are they happy about it. Just because they are in the military doesn't mean they agree with what's going on. I know this isn't a pleasant or popular thought but it's the truth. Try doing something you don't agree with because it's your job...and I don't mean knocking heads with your boss. I mean seeing what goes on there from both sides, seeing how a country and its people are affected, seeing the love and the hate on both sides of the pond, being caught in the middle, and still doing your job. It's hard, let me tell you. No different than it was for all those Vietnam soldiers that were labeled as "baby killers" by some snot-nosed, dope smoking hippie. Pawns in a game played out by politicians. You don't have to agree with the policy. Have respect for the troops because more of them think like you than you know.
I thought that's what I was saying?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:49 AM

408 posts, read 695,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What do you think our soldiers do in IRAQ

Just curious what Americans think our soldiers and non-soldiers (volunteer, such as medical etc) do in Iraq....
Saving lives, trying to push for change, trying to stay alive, and all the while taking orders from those above them. I feel that is question is almost trying to see the negative in the war and in our soldiers. I have friends and family that have taken their tours in Iraq and agree that we should be there and that they are making a difference. If you do not support the war then fine but always support our soldiers.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Follow orders, keep friends alive, follow orders, fight as well as you can, follow orders, try to stay alive, follow orders, pray you stay alive, follow orders, go home and be hated. I guess the last was a special for us Vietnam vets.

All honor to our soldiers, airmen and sailors. All shame to our politicians that sent them there on false pretense. More shame on businessmen war profiteering with their monopolies.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thnik we really don't get enough stories in the media about the soldiers and the great job they are doing. I admire them more than any of their younger counterparts.Hopefully they can pass a GI bill that is not all full of spending on demopstic programs;as this is just counter productive and make you wandere what the politican really think about our soldiers. They tend to put the favorite programs ahead of the soldiers needs IMO. It sthe same as adding pork fat to the veterans bill.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
A good GI bill will never pass because it would only benefit relatively poor veterans and not be a direct subsidy to corporate America.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A good GI bill will never pass because it would only benefit relatively poor veterans and not be a direct subsidy to corporate America.
The Vietnam Era GI Bill was a very good version.

They pulled the plug on it in 1977, to bring in a different version, and they have gone through many versions since then. Most of those other versions were horrible.

That one would pay you for 12 months each year for four years, while you were attending college. It did not cost the servicemember anything, you did not have to pay into any 'fund'. And it was good for up to ten years after the vet left Active Duty.

I got out in 1983 and I used the GI bill to pay for my college and to support myself, my Dw and our son; until 1987.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,027 times
They passed a new GI bill last week. It passed the Senate this week with a remarkable 75-22 vote. All we need is the President's signature to make it happen.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
Saving lives, trying to push for change, trying to stay alive, and all the while taking orders from those above them. I feel that is question is almost trying to see the negative in the war and in our soldiers. I have friends and family that have taken their tours in Iraq and agree that we should be there and that they are making a difference. If you do not support the war then fine but always support our soldiers.
Not quite sure where you got a negative from that question? Read my other responses in this thread right before it went off topic for a bit pg 3 I think.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Our soldiers are doing their jobs in a highly professional manner. In spite of the media's love affair of bashing them at every opportunity. In spite of our elected officials calling them names like Nazi storm troopers. In spite of the liberal lefts antagonistic derogatory attitudes towards them. I for one am proud of the conduct of our troops. Given the very few incidents of misconduct as compared to the many millions who have served over there I think their track record is stellar. I laugh where was the righteous indignation of the left when their beloved USSR occupied Afghanistan? Compared to any military in history we have gone to great lengths to prevent collateral damage and at great expense. No I don't agree with the war but we are there. The men and women who wear our countries uniform have earned and deserve our support and our respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies