Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2022, 10:07 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

I hate to admit this, but expect more overseas warlike actions due to what effectively is, a vacancy in the position of US POTUS.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:11 PM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Maybe if we were still energy independent, we could be pumping oil to Europe, instead of begging and being at the mercy of OPEC. President Biden's termination of leases for oil drilling and permits for pipelines is a National Security threat!

Old 02-23-2022, 10:23 PM

2,284 posts, read 637,003 times
Something needs to be done. Countries cannot just redraw borders based on might and historical grievances. This kind of crap will lead to a war, if not right away.

I think we should start by ending all diplomatic relations with Russia and extreme sanctions.

Biden needs to go ASAP. No one takes his poopy pants seriously!

Old 02-23-2022, 10:34 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,292,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Something needs to be done. Countries cannot just redraw borders based on might and historical grievances. This kind of crap will lead to a war, if not right away.

I think we should start by ending all diplomatic relations with Russia and extreme sanctions.

and Russia will take their oil and deal with China and then what? You know extreme sanctions means war down the road.

Putin has a red line and he has been saying for 15 years that NATO can't not go to their borders, PERIOD. " NO NATO on our borders with Ukraine". He is willing to use force. You can escalate it or negotiate with that as the center piece of the talking points. Again, what he is asking is not out of this world but you want to escalate this and treat it Hitler WW 2 then go for it.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:37 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Something needs to be done.
Other than sanctions and weapons aid? No.

What part of "Ukraine is non-NATO" don't folks understand?

Quote:
Countries cannot just redraw borders based on might and historical grievances.
The British empire did it for ages. This is Europe's fight.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
and say what? that ordinary people around the world will pay higher fuel to heat themselves and everybody have to sacrifice and we will defend the "democracy" of Ukraine? I can't wait.
WH Press were advised thar Biden will strongly Condemn Putin a issue Severe Sanctions.
None of that Will help of course.

Quote:

First, Biden will not “go” — so we just have to deal with it.

From everything I’m reading and hearing (for days now)— the only thing that might stop this in a fairly short order is to remove Russia from the SWIFT banking system. To be clear — that will also cause pain to anyone who deals with Russia, including the USA. The other thing is to KICK Russia OUT of the United Nations Security Council - where they have Veto power.
Russia now holds the Chsir of the UN Security Council while they are also invading and bombing another Country. They have to be expelled from the Security Council.

You will hear/read about the SWIFT Banking system in the next couple of days, and I doubt that it can be agreed to, but it’s a whole lot better than Dead bodied. SWIFT and removal from the UN Security Council would also be a deterrent to China.

Gasoline will rise in price quickly, we filled up this morning. Biggest fear is probably an attack on our Grid.
Keep in mind what you would do without power of that should happen. I’m always ready for it since I’ve been without power for weeks at a time.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:25 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Default Ukraine: Russia has launched 'full-scale invasion'

Vladimir Putin announced the military operation into Ukraine at 5.55am Moscow time - and minutes later the first shelling and missiles were launched into Ukraine, according to reports.
Russian missiles struck airports, military positions and cities across Ukraine, including the capital of Kyiv, early Thursday as Vladimir Putin launched the most dangerous phase of his eight-year war.
Putin declared: “I have declared a special military operation” for the “demilitarization and de-Nazification of Ukraine.”

Multiple reports are now quoting Ukrainian officials as saying troops in Belarus are joining the Russian attack, meaning the offensive is now also coming from Ukraine's north.
The attack from the north adds to Russia's attacks on Ukraine's east, and Russian troop movement on Odessa in the south.

Putin urges Ukrainian soldiers in eastern Ukraine to lay down weapons and return to their homes.

He also warns that Moscow's response will be "instant" if anyone tries to interfere.
And in a clear message to the United States and its allies, Putin warned foreign powers not to interfere in his operation:
“If you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history. All relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me.”

Live:
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60454795

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status...-S-sfKTWQ&s=19

Last edited by elnina; 02-23-2022 at 11:54 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 11:31 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
son of a bit&ch this but* hole is going to push this.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:41 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
An excerpt from a Wall Street Journal article https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-...d-11645570205:

QUOTE, my italics:

Does Russia want to invade Ukraine?
"Mr. Putin says no. Although he has questioned Ukraine’s right to exist, citing a similar language and shared history and culture, he says Russian forces are being deployed as peacekeepers to prevent Ukrainian efforts to wrest back control of two self-declared republics that broke away from Kyiv’s control in 2014. Ukraine denies any hostile intent toward the breakaway regions in Donetsk and Luhansk."
END QUOTE

So Russian forces are just peacekeepers? Somehow I think that Mr. Putin and I do not agree on what a peacekeeper is and what peacekeepers do.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:31 AM

2,284 posts, read 637,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
and Russia will take their oil and deal with China and then what? You know extreme sanctions means war down the road.

Putin has a red line and he has been saying for 15 years that NATO can't not go to their borders, PERIOD. " NO NATO on our borders with Ukraine". He is willing to use force. You can escalate it or negotiate with that as the center piece of the talking points. Again, what he is asking is not out of this world but you want to escalate this and treat it Hitler WW 2 then go for it.
Ukraine is a sovereign nation, Putin does not have veto power over their alliances.

I’m all for not poking the Russian bear, but invading another country to functionally annex their land needs to stop. Putin did so with Crimea, and he created paralyzed enclaves in northern Georgia and eastern Ukraine. Now he’s adding more. The response has to be swift and fierce or he will continue eating Ukraine.

China is watching carefully, they are anxious to invade Taiwan.

Weakness now means more trouble down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies