Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved legislation on Tuesday allowing the Justice Department to sue OPEC members for limiting oil supplies and working together to set crude prices, but the White House threatened to veto the measure.
So, what kind of "weed" are our prestigious Members of Congress smoking these days...!

House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Haha.. thats one of the funniest things I've heard in my entire life...

"This bill guarantees that oil prices will reflect supply and demand economic rules, instead of wildly speculative and perhaps illegal activities,"

So they are passing laws on what could perhaps be happening.. Add to this the fact that Congress wont allow our own oil companies to be competitive, by giving domestic oil companies tax hikes, and foreign oil companies tax breaks, and by limiting our oil companies ability to provide more oil, and limiting alternative energy like nuclear.

Oooh, the clowns we elected into Congress

Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
I agree. It is stupid. And anybody that votes for it is pandering.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Haha.. thats one of the funniest things I've heard in my entire life...

"This bill guarantees that oil prices will reflect supply and demand economic rules, instead of wildly speculative and perhaps illegal activities,"

So they are passing laws on what could perhaps be happening.. Add to this the fact that Congress wont allow our own oil companies to be competitive, by giving domestic oil companies tax hikes, and foreign oil companies tax breaks, and by limiting our oil companies ability to provide more oil, and limiting alternative energy like nuclear.

Oooh, the clowns we elected into Congress
Yeah, and there all piling out of the VW Beetle like a bunch of ants fleeing the colony!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree. It is stupid. And anybody that votes for it is pandering.
Hey, this is an election year, the MC will be crawling all over each other to vote "Yes" on this election year turkey!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,148 times
Great.

Now, if they would just pass a bill that lets me sue local governments all across America for subsidizing road construction and utilities expansion that has led to suburban sprawl, which has led to increased demand for gas and thus higher prices.

I would also like the ability to sue manufacturers and drivers of cars that get bad gas mileage.

Give me a while and I'll come up with more potential targets.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Great.

Now, if they would just pass a bill that lets me sue local governments all across America for subsidizing road construction and utilities expansion that has led to suburban sprawl, which has led to increased demand for gas and thus higher prices.

I would also like the ability to sue manufacturers and drivers of cars that get bad gas mileage.

Give me a while and I'll come up with more potential targets.
OK, we'll let you dream on!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Why not sue people who that committed fraud by making false statemnts on loan applicants that have effected your abiltity to get a home loan ad caused the inerest rates to go up. Thye go after the fraudulant claims made on SS that amount to theft of your money.There is alot more you can collect on from the takers in society. Many would get jail time besides.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM

403 posts, read 749,060 times
Quote:

The bill would subject OPEC oil producers, including Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela, to the same antitrust laws that U.S. companies must follow.
The measure passed in a 324-84 vote, a big enough margin to override a presidential veto.

Are you kidding me? What are they smoking?

What the hell do these people think OPEC does? ITS A OIL CARTEL AND ITS FIXES OIL PRICES. dah!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post
Are you kidding me?

What the hell do these people think OPEC does? ITS A OIL CARTEL AND ITS FIXES OIL PRICES. dah!
OPEC influences oil prices, but only slightly.

The dillweeds that Americans elect who pursue weak dollar policies actually have more to do with higher prices now.

But when it comes down to it, it's really the demand of the consumer that sets oil prices. So let's all just sue each other for too much oil usage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies