Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 12:17 PM

79,038 posts, read 61,175,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Valid.

Still, those communities that did defund the police, reduced or eliminated bail bonds and ignored sentencing guidelines have seen an uptick in violent crime. I would say, they voted for it, but I have a feeling, MOST did not!
The mob demanded it and standing up to the mob got you in hot water. It may not have been everyone but if you said you opposed defund and thought it was a bad idea, you were going to catch a wave of grief and accusations of racism.

So yeah, they voted for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 12:19 PM

4,369 posts, read 2,273,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry Phil but no it was not.

It was a Defund the Police movement, to what extent it was implement varied but there were calls to entirely abolish police departments and funding cuts in many cities was indeed done.

There were also cries for Police Reforms ranging from procedures to training, body cameras etc.

Let's not sugar coat and word-smith Defund now that it's been a collossal failure and try to pretend it was something else. I think you're re-writing your memory of 2020 with a more internally acceptable narrative than is reality.
QFT and bookmarked - excellent recounting and refuting the selective amnesia the left uses on this topic.

Old 03-02-2022, 12:24 PM

6,932 posts, read 2,406,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
"Defund the Police" was an antiracism (I think BLM, but not sure) slogan. I admit it was a poor choice of words ("Reform The Police" would be *much* better, but it is what it is). It was meant as shorthand for "divert money from the police budget and into funding community improvement, the bread-and-butter basics like education and training, poverty relief, etc..

Even so, that still does not change the fact that the traditional status quo police is simply inadequate at best and outright counter to community interests at worst.
"A poor choice of words"????

Yeah, they should have stuck with, "What do we want? DEAD COPS!!! When do we want it? NOW!!!!"

Old 03-02-2022, 12:32 PM

663 posts, read 311,935 times
So Pres Biden got a Stranding Ovation for saying once... refund instead of de-fund.

Yes a Standing Ovation from BOTH sides of the chamber.

Old 03-02-2022, 12:33 PM

79,038 posts, read 61,175,189 times
Just to remind folks look back to 2020, not revisionist history after taking things too far.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=calls+...1a766b4bb91396

Here are cities that cut police funding.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=461f51fc29e3

Old 03-02-2022, 12:38 PM

663 posts, read 311,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just to remind folks look back to 2020, not revisionist history after taking things too far.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=calls+...1a766b4bb91396

Here are cities that cut police funding.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=461f51fc29e3
Still did Portland, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh (I think I remember a few) loose a Police dept and has none today?

Our Largest cities did not. It is history now and we moved on.

Old 03-02-2022, 12:51 PM

9,611 posts, read 4,426,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Still did Portland, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh (I think I remember a few) loose a Police dept and has none today?

Our Largest cities did not. It is history now and we moved on.
Jeebus. The old, and very tired, highly illogical, "they still have a police department" argument. Police departments in many cities have incurred severe negative impacts due to the defund the police movement. Massive officer shortages, not to mention progressive prosecutors who have pretty much negated the police department's hard work. Many, including those you cited in your post, are in a full blown crisis, something even advocates of the "defund the police" movement now admit. Wake up, get your head out of the sand, and stop with the outlandishly pedantic nonsense. You were, and continue to be, on the wrong side of this issue.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:05 PM

960 posts, read 751,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Biden gave an amazing speech and it would not hurt you to trust a bit that he meant what he said. He has shown more character and integrity on a given Tuesday than Trump did with his repeated provable whoppers.
Not one word out of Bidens mouth has ever been true. He is a proven liar

Old 03-02-2022, 01:07 PM

640 posts, read 457,263 times
The police are due a refund from all the hate and prosecutions they've been subjected to.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:07 PM

26,692 posts, read 14,633,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
The police are due a refund from all the hate and prosecutions they've been subjected to.
Only democrats should pay for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies