Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times

Advertisements

I totally reject the premise that he was a bad president. Like Obama, he was a "thinking man", and one who lacked the ego, so prominent in recent Republican administrations, that would cause one to "go to war" for no real reason, and then stubornly insist that it was the right thing to do, despite much evidence to the contrary.
Carter was perviceived by the weak minded to be a bad president because he was presented with some very difficult situations that neither he, nor anyone else, could control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I totally reject the premise that he was a bad president. Like Obama, he was a "thinking man", and one who lacked the ego, so prominent in recent Republican administrations, that would cause one to "go to war" for no real reason, and then stubornly insist that it was the right thing to do, despite much evidence to the contrary.
Carter was perviceived by the weak minded to be a bad president because he was presented with some very difficult situations that neither he, nor anyone else, could control.
Yep, weak and the Iranians took advantage of it. Only letting the hostages be released when Carter was out of office. Not sure what would have happened to the hostages if Carter had another term.

Carter may have not have been one to blow his own horn but Obama is in no way like Carter in that category. Obama has the ego but will he handle Iran any better than Carter did? Now they are going nuclear and Obama sits on the fence, just like Carter.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
One example... Iran was holding our people hostage for over 400 days and he didn't have the cajones to do anything about it. As Reagan was being sworn in, they released the hostages, because they KNEW that Reagan would go after them.

I was too young to have followed his presidency at all (I was 9 when Reagan was sworn in), but I remember the Iran hostage crisis and how Carter did virtually nothing to end it.

Google JIMMY CARTER FAILURE and you'll get a lot of stuff to peruse...

In hindsight, what do you think he should have done?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
There was no recession under Carter, much less a "terrible" one.
So the 7.9% contraction followed by another .7% in the second and third quarters of 1980 was not terrible? You do know that the worst contraction in the current recession was only 6.4%, right? 1979 was a dismal year, growth hovered below 1% for most of the year. Someone should call the NBER and tell them there was no recession under Carter..

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Carter came in as Nti wshington and brought alot of his assocaites with him. the trouble really was that he and they did not know how to get things doen.When the 70's recession he bascially did very little in the way of leadership and then he got mired in the middle east peace process that he failed in and then the Iranian hostage crisies hit. He had no answer to the growing economic crsis that came to doubt digit inflation and unemployment. Bascially america losss any confidence in him and his plcioes because of their failure.If you read his book he basically blame things on his advsors but they came right back at him bascially saying he was attempting rewrittinghistory poiting out his decsions. that IMO is why he is pretty much ignored now/n the end history judges presidents by results not intentions or rethoric.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
In 1977, U.S. President Jimmy Carter signed a treaty which agreed to return 60% of the Canal Zone to Panama in 1979. The canal and remaining territory, known as the Canal Area, was returned to Panama at noon (local Panama time) on December 31, 1999.

The canal was under US supervision and maintaince, once it was transfered to Panama the maintaince stopped, the canal fell into disrepair and the Chinese had to come in, repair, replace and maintain the, the only short cut to the Pacfic Ocean. At that time there were 30 Chinese ships thru the canal to every one of the US per day.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 PM

527 posts, read 467,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yep, weak and the Iranians took advantage of it. Only letting the hostages be released when Carter was out of office. Not sure what would have happened to the hostages if Carter had another term.

Carter may have not have been one to blow his own horn but Obama is in no way like Carter in that category. Obama has the ego but will he handle Iran any better than Carter did? Now they are going nuclear and Obama sits on the fence, just like Carter.
I would love to hear what you think Obama should do about Iran- go to war with them, like BushII did in Iraq? Iran is not Iraq, Iraq's army pretty much just threw down their weapons when we invaded, we weren't confronted with a standard war, we were fighting insurgents, and factions of resistance to us, a hard type of war to fight. In Iran I bet we would have an even more bloody war than the war in Iraq,as the Iranians have been told we are the enemy far longer than those in Iraq were prior to us invading (remember it hadn't been that long before that the U.S. was an ally of Iraq back when Reagan and BushI were supplying them with support in their war against Iran?) and we are still fighting in Afghanistan, should we just attack any country that we have problems with? Spread are military thin on multiple fronts? Why do you think BushII picked Iraq? Because he thought it would be an easy fight, and would bring him glory, and because he was trying to do something he felt his father should have done. His father was smart enough to not go into Iraq when some around him wanted to-Iran is not a country that we can threaten lightly like Iraq or Libya- why do you think that BushII did nothing about them or N. Korea?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
One example... Iran was holding our people hostage for over 400 days and he didn't have the cajones to do anything about it. As Reagan was being sworn in, they released the hostages, because they KNEW that Reagan would go after them.

I was too young to have followed his presidency at all (I was 9 when Reagan was sworn in), but I remember the Iran hostage crisis and how Carter did virtually nothing to end it.

Google JIMMY CARTER FAILURE and you'll get a lot of stuff to peruse...

do you know what lead up to the hostage situation, people love yapping their jaws but ignore what americans did in iran, typical american ****ery!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Someone please enlighten me.. I wasn't even thought of when Jimmy Carter was president, but people on here consistently compare Obama to him in a negative way..

What made him such a bad president?
Well let's see. He had an incompetence towards the Soviets in Afghanistan and all their other global desires. He made secret deals with Soviet leaders to try and keep himself in power. He continually talked about the incompetence of America and its malaise. He thought, during his presidency, where high unemployment and inflation were prominent, that it would be a good time to stifle energy and, in many ways, implement a similar enactment to cap and trade. You can see his disdain for Americans in many of the post on this thread.

Should I go on?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Wow, you must have missed the 80's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies