Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 04:20 PM

6,016 posts, read 2,838,772 times

Advertisements

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...ncer-patients/

From the article: "A drug that would prolong the lives of those with advanced breast cancer will not be made available to many patients in England after the country’s socialized healthcare system ruled it to be “too expensive”.

While the medicine known as Trodelvy will be made available publicly in Scotland, which manages its own state healthcare system, England’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has decided it would be best that women south of the border not be able to avail themselves of the drug, claiming that it is not “cost-effective use of [National Health Service] resources”.

According to a report by The Telegraph, around 650 women in England would have benefitted from taking the drug, with one charity describing the decision as a “devastating blow”.

“Evidence shows Trodelvy can increase time before a patient’s disease progresses and, crucially, how long they live compared to being treated with chemotherapy,” said Delyth Morgan, who serves as Chief Executive of the charity Breast Cancer Now.
"

As Nancy Reagan used to say about drugs, "Just Say No" to socialized medicine...

Government ruins everything it touches...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 04:37 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Before we had Obamacare, back in the early 2000s, my physician wanted me to have an ultrasound on my breast as I'm at high risk for breast cancer. The insurance company said no dice. It's not just the government.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:22 PM

4,386 posts, read 1,695,798 times
This happens all the time in the US.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Before we had Obamacare, back in the early 2000s, my physician wanted me to have an ultrasound on my breast as I'm at high risk for breast cancer. The insurance company said no dice. It's not just the government.
I think it shows that the progressive pipe-dream of socialized medicine in the United States is not the end-all, be-all they claim it will be, and would not be much better than what we currently have...

Old 04-10-2022, 07:26 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,898,917 times
But I bet they got MRNAs available out the ying yang.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:37 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,708,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I think it shows that the progressive pipe-dream of socialized medicine in the United States is not the end-all, be-all they claim it will be, and would not be much better than what we currently have...
But at least with socialized medicine you receive the care for free. And yes, under socialized medicine the government can deny certain services, but so can insurance companies in the free market health care. And then you have the deductibles and copays too.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But at least with socialized medicine you receive the care for free. And yes, under socialized medicine the government can deny certain services, but so can insurance companies in the free market health care. And then you have the deductibles and copays too.
You will have a very long wait as illegals get FREE health care which also pushes up all costs including medicine. Thank Biden for the extra wait time and costs. The opened borders guy did that.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But at least with socialized medicine you receive the care for free.
The care is not free, as the expenses are paid for with taxpayer dollars. Nothing in life is free, except the air we breathe.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:05 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Except in the US we condemn the *greedy* insurance companies and run active PR campaigns against them which is sort of the point of this thread.

People, either via premiums or taxes don't want to pay for *experimental* treatments etc. They like to complain that it should be covered, but then balk at the fact that they ultimately pay for it.

I could point you to so many examples of this in the US, like "no fault" car insurance or other price caps like when GA managed to reduce their OBGYN practicioners to 2 (yes, two) for the entire state because they regulate the insurance market and they are the stupidest stupids that ever stooped a stoooopid.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Did you research any of the details on benefit versus cost for this particular drug? The stuidies showed it added an average of 1.5 months of life at an initial cost of $50k a year...the drug company then decided to cut the cost in half...to $25k a year.

I don't know how valuable 6 weeks of life is...and I don't know if that's high quality life or "sicker than a dog" life.

All has to be considered. You can say "every day of life is priceless"...but someone has to pay and someone has to make decisions. I'm pretty sure with similar situations in the U.S. the out of pocket would be outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies