Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 11:03 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

So, it's on the cards that at some point in time the government will come to get you for some obscure reason and you in turn will ward them off with a gun? Is that pretty much the way it works? This will all end for you in a potential bloodbath?

Since when does being prepared for an eventuality equate to expecting it to happen? I’m prepared for a lot of things that I hope never happen. I have a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors in case there is a fire. Americans have firearms in case the government gets seriously out of line. Neither is an event expected to happen, but either could. America was founded on some pretty basic principles. Preparedness was one of them. Again, our folk heroes from history are a bit different than those in other countries.

Quote:
Yes, governments need to be held to account but isn't this what the voting system is all about? What would you have in mind that might be a better system of government? No government at all, perhaps? ...anarchy?
What happens when the voting system breaks? And I’m not recommending a different form of government. The entire point of the exercise is to update the system, not change it to something else.

Quote:
People complain about the government all the time - including those in this country, Australia - but no one ever comes up with an idea for a better system. Be that as it may, very few people in other countries actually prepare for the day when they will need to take up arms against the government. Just America it would seem.
Quote:
Again, different history and different cultures. Read The Federalist Papers and the Anti Federalist Papers, it really will help you understand the mindset of the people who founded this country. There were valid reasons for the Constitution being written as a limit upon government powers. Those reasons are still valid in today’s world. I applaud modern European governments for respecting the rights of their citizens, but we don’t have to go very far into history to see when that wasn’t the case and even in the modern world there are countries treating their unarmed citizens atrociously. Our Constitution, and specifically the Bill of Rights, and more specifically the 2nd Amendment ensures that we will not become an unarmed serf class. As long as it is followed, we won’t be.

Quote:

Incidentally, I have never posted anything about banning guns. What I post about is the OBSESSION (SO many) Americans have with their beloved guns to the point of absurdity. What I post about is as to how the second amendment is somehow seen as words that are enshrined in some divine manuscript and used by so many merely to (deceitfully) support their worship of guns.
You are questioning the importance of firearms in American culture. I am explaining my view of the answer. What you view as obsession with guns is nothing of the sort.

What the anti gun crowd fails to realize is that it isn’t about a love of guns. Yes, there are some who even hardcore hobbyists think are overly obsessed, but they are usually collectors who rarely if ever actually fire them and just like to have more than everyone else of whatever they would be collecting if firearms weren’t available. Firearms, for most owners, are tools. However, they are tools which the people who created our country acknowledged that we had a natural right to own and wrote an amendment to specifically protect as well. Our government is bound to adhere to the Constitution, which is the highest law of the land. The sanctity of the Constitution is at the core of the objection to ineffective gun laws that would only infringe on the 2nd Amendment, because the entire purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to ensure that we, the people, can protect ourselves - even from a government which decides to break the Constitution. Firearms are the symbol of the conflict, not the centerpiece. The Constitution is the centerpiece, and the conflict is over whether we will require our government to adhere to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 11:09 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
“I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half.”

jay gould

Old 06-04-2022, 08:29 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
THIS! No one really needs an AR-15. Get a shot gun. Or a rifle.
Unless all those other countries are waiting for the US to join their pack....and then they can really turn the screws.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:17 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is a solution, but its not acceptable today. rape is not about sex or sexual attraction, its about control over another person. For some reason, lots of people want to control others in this way. I dont think its human nature, its a result of how our society is.
Interesting thoughtview. While I believe that rape is about control & is not just sexual in nature, I wonder about the idea of whether a certain element of control is within the bounds of human nature? After all, we raise children & at the very least the first years of a child’s life is beyond their own control; their very survival is dependent upon the other’s attitude, behaviors & actions. I dunno? Every society, & each individual has its own thoughtviews on these things.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:42 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
If I had to get shot, I'd rather it be an AR-15 than a shot gun or a hunting rifle.
Any who would say different has no idea how much damage a 12 gauge shot gun can do.
BTW, what anyone "needs" is irrelevant.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:34 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Um.... an AR-15 IS a rifle.....

You do know that you can buy a semi-automatic hunting rifle that is chambered in .223, correct? The same as an AR-15. The ONLY difference between the two is that one looks like a hunting rifle, the other looks scary to those who don't understand them. Aside from that, both function the exact same way.

This is part of the problem with how the media portrays this rifle. It is NOT an assault rifle.... which btw, ANY firearm can be labeled as an assault weapon if it is used to assault someone. Heck, you could have an assault spatula if one were so inclined. The gun is an inanimate object. It does not go off without someone using it. Again.... focus on the real problem with mental health and not what those people choose to use as a weapon.

Let's say they did ban AR-15s.... what's next? 9mm? 12 gauge? .22, a BB gun, etc..? Do you "really" think it will stop there? Sooner or later mental people will switch to some other readily available caliber and use it to assault others. Then that gun becomes the next assault weapon. So on and so forth... How do you propose you stop assaults that require use of any physical object without dealing with the person using it?

Old 06-06-2022, 01:38 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
An AR-15 is a rifle, and a huge amount of shotguns are semi-automatic that not only shoot shotgun shells but slugs. You’re asking for the same thing as what you’re opposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies