Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 01:54 AM

33,396 posts, read 12,701,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then to show how ridiculous the law is I hope a lot of people get stalked and harassed all to get $10,000. You can't sue someone without evidence.
It is ridiculous.

It almost makes me ashamed to be a resident of Texas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:13 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,732,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It is ridiculous.

Join the club. Oklahoma last month passed a law similar to it.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:08 AM

89,511 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Then to show how ridiculous the law is I hope a lot of people get stalked and harassed all to get $10,000. You can't sue someone without evidence.
That's what discovery is for, to collect evidence, the same process as in medical malpractice suits. It'll be pretty clear who performed the abortion and will also identify several others who were involved. Phone records could be subpoenaed, etc.

Fathers have rights. TX actually recognizes this.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It is like I said, this will not get rid of abortions, it will put it at the state level where it should be.

But you are incorrect, there actually are several Federal abortion laws restricting abortions - including the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 that the U.S. Supreme Court upheld in 2007 - that criminalizes these type of abortions in the second trimester of pregnancy or later. There is also one on funding - the Hyde amendment - that has been in place for over 40 years that bars the use of federal funds to pay for abortion.
You are correct. I was unclear. What I meant was that there is no federal law granting abortion on demand rights to anyone in any state. The Democrats just recently tried to pass one but didn't have enough votes. Fail.

Quote:
The SCOTUS has struck down and upheld many state laws on abortions - on both sides of the matter - why do you think that it is none. There are still some states that still have complete abortion bans on the books from prior to RvW, they were just ignored or not enforced.
The point is that even very restrictive state abortion laws are still on the books and active though they have not yet been enforced.

Quote:
Some states have also gone past the original limits on abortions and will likely get reigned in, including a couple of states that allow abortions of viable babies, including at birth and beyond (see Gov of VA statement on that) - those are not supported by most people and certainly ignore the intent of abortion limits.
That will depend on whether such state laws are challenged in court as being in conflict with federal restrictions on abortion. If no one challenges such laws, they'll remain in effect.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It is ridiculous.

Quote:
Join the club. Oklahoma last month passed a law similar to it.
Simple solution: MOVE. There's a huge exodus out of blue states to red states. You two can do the reverse and be happy.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:43 AM

37,592 posts, read 61,681,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Do most Americans not care about abortion one or the other?
I am an old man, it has no effect on me whatsoever.

Our church doctrine does not care if abortion is legal in this nation, or not.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:24 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,006,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The TX law handles this well. The biological father can sue anyone and everyone involved in killing his child for $10,000 a pop.
I wonder what it would cost to hire a lawyer to bring that law suit. Half of the $10,000 would likely end up going to the lawyer.

I also wonder what kind of evidence is needed for such a lawsuit. Maybe the used pregnancy test kit or ultrasound pics to prove the woman was actually pregnant. Then someone has to stalk her to see if she went to a facility or doctor that provides abortions. Then how to prove she is no longer pregnant. And how to prove it wasn't a miscarriage.

Any lawsuit under this law will require evidence. Evidence costs money to collect. Maybe this law is so impractical as to not matter much.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:26 AM

88,905 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I wonder what it would cost to hire a lawyer to bring that law suit. Half of the $10,000 would likely end up going to the lawyer.

I also wonder what kind of evidence is needed for such a lawsuit. Maybe the used pregnancy test kit or ultrasound pics to prove the woman was actually pregnant. Then someone has to stalk her to see if she went to a facility or doctor that provides abortions. Then how to prove she is no longer pregnant. And how to prove it wasn't a miscarriage.

Any lawsuit under this law will require evidence. Evidence costs money to collect. Maybe this law is so impractical as to not matter much.
That of course, is exactly why the law exists. Politicians are mostly lawyers, and they take care of one another.

A lot of the times it is the man who is pushing for the woman to get an abortion in the first place.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Usually about 1/3 to 40%. 2/3 of something is more than 100% of nothing.

Quote:
No stalking necessary. All that evidence is easily obtained via discovery. Abortion clinics keep records and those can be subpoenaed just as in a medical malpractice case.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:14 AM

36,832 posts, read 31,112,467 times
Quote:

Exactly.
But this law wasnt intended to be used to actually prosecute anyone it was intended to scare medical providers and discourage anyone from performing abortions or helping women in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies