Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 08:16 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,900,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Would Abraham Lincoln, a president many consider the father of the Republican Party, be considered a RINO today? Lincoln is consistently ranked as the greatest president of all time in multiple polls. Would the Republican Party's current leadership see him as unfit to represent the party that he led into existence?
lol Hardly anyone thinks of him as the father of the republican party. Silly premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Abe Lincoln is the worst president that the US has ever seen by a million miles. It is amazing that people view him positively since he went all Ike Turner on the south and mass murdered a shocking number of Americans and people who no longer wanted to be Americans. I cant believe how dumb people are that they think it is ok to murder so many people to save their precious union as if that matters to them.
if history serves, it was the south that declared war on the north

what do you expect a US president to do, in that case, where about half the nation declares war on the other half?

and the half that declared war, was ABSOLUTELY unsustainable as a separate country?

Old 07-08-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Are we trying to judge Lincoln by today's standards? This is wrong.

If he came back today he would be shocked by both parties but more so the Democrats that appear to be trying to undermine and dismantle this country. He would wonder if the Dems are actually trying to start another Civil War.

Lincoln would also be disappointed in the Black community that so many of them turn to crime, thuggery and their young men fill up the prisons. He might even wonder why they bothered to fight the war to free them.

A RINO or not Lincoln was working to make this country better for all and given what we have now in power we can't say that.
They didn't fight the war to free the slaves. If so why were the northern slaves freed after the war? It was about secession. Lincoln said the states can't leave.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:18 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,252,999 times
Lincoln was a great man who saved this country...that said he had flaws as well...and no I don't think he'd be a Republican or Democrat today...not sure what he'd be considered though.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They didn't fight the war to free the slaves. If so why were the northern slaves freed after the war? It was about secession. Lincoln said the states can't leave.
get out your crystal ball and tell us what would have become of the southern states, had they simply seceded and formed their own country?

Old 07-08-2022, 08:19 AM

2,612 posts, read 932,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

what do you expect a US president to do, in that case, where about half the nation declares war on the other half?

and the half that declared war, was ABSOLUTELY unsustainable as a separate country?
Yeah, if northern revisionist history serves not real history.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
true

Quote:
he can stop saying, "they can't leave peacefully."

Quote:
lol you have no proof of this. As if the South was a 3rd world country compared to the North.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
get out your crystal ball and tell us what would have become of the southern states, had they simply seceded and formed their own country?
sigh..... It's not up to me to disprove your nonsense. It's up to you to prove it.

So why don't you "get out your crystal ball and tell us what would have become of the southern states, had they simply seceded and formed their own country"

"They couldn't do it", is not proof.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Lincoln was a great man who saved this country...that said he had flaws as well...and no I don't think he'd be a Republican or Democrat today...not sure what he'd be considered though.
A democrat. He looked down on blacks and treated them like wards of the state.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:25 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,475,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No, no we don't. We are the party of inclusiveness of ideas and beliefs.... something the democrats despise.
? ?

I find the Republican Party of 2022 to be the most intolerant. I don't know if you have called other Republicans RINOs, but I know many others on this board have. We see it all the time here, Republicans seem game to throw one another out of the party at the drop of a hat.

The big litmus test in the recent past was whether or not one would embrace the "climate change is a hoax" mandate. These days it is whether or not the person embraces the "stolen election" lie.

It's always something ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies