Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 02:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,174,185 times

Advertisements

OK. So I have to ask. What is it with the new quarters that are coming out with George Washington's turn to the left and not looking to the right.
Is it the leftist in the White House trying to make some kind of political statement with their love of Identity Politics?

Old 07-16-2022, 02:23 PM

27,743 posts, read 16,253,742 times
New quarter facing right. No big , except look at the hair. What is going on there. Some design cooked in? Or just bad engraving

Old 07-16-2022, 02:32 PM

15,937 posts, read 6,640,528 times
Ask yourself why are we printing faces on coins when Washington and the first Congress specifically didn't want that? It was too similar to British coins that featured the faces of kings and queens.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Ask yourself why are we printing faces on coins when Washington and the first Congress specifically didn't want that? It was too similar to British coins that featured the faces of kings and queens.
Dang, now that I didn't know about. But it is a valid reason for not wanting faces on them. But, I have to admit that I would rather see Harriet Tubmen face replace Jackson's. Especially knowing the Jackson was the cause of a lot of death and pain in the native American population in his day. And Moses saved lives and helped to free people.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:54 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,952,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
OK. So I have to ask. What is it with the new quarters that are coming out with George Washington's turn to the left and not looking to the right.
Is it the leftist in the White House trying to make some kind of political statement with their love of Identity Politics?
United States Mint Announces Designs for 2022 American Women Quarters™ Program Coins

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-re...-program-coins

The Maya Angelou one is very pretty & reflects, it’s my favorite one so far.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
United States Mint Announces Designs for 2022 American Women Quarters™ Program Coins

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-re...-program-coins

The Maya Angelou one is very pretty & reflects, it’s my favorite one so far.
I always did enjoy Maya Angelou works, she was well ahead of her time.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Dang, now that I didn't know about. But it is a valid reason for not wanting faces on them. But, I have to admit that I would rather see Harriet Tubmen face replace Jackson's. Especially knowing the Jackson was the cause of a lot of death and pain in the native American population in his day. And Moses saved lives and helped to free people.
I’ve seen the Maya Angelou & Sally Ride quarter in circulation, so far have not seen the Wilma Mankiller quarter.

From Maya Angelou to Anna May Wong, these pioneering women will appear on US quarters next year
Wilma Mankiller was the first woman to serve as principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, according to the National Women's History Museum. During her 10-year tenure in the role, beginning in 1985, the population of the Cherokee Nation more than doubled, and the relationships she bridged between the US government and the Cherokee Nation allowed it to expand its self-governance.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/us...cec/index.html

Old 07-16-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I always did enjoy Maya Angelou works, she was well ahead of her time.
Agree! I like her quarter because it immediately made me think of "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings”.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I’ve seen the Maya Angelou & Sally Ride quarter in circulation, so far have not seen the Wilma Mankiller quarter.

From Maya Angelou to Anna May Wong, these pioneering women will appear on US quarters next year
Wilma Mankiller was the first woman to serve as principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, according to the National Women's History Museum. During her 10-year tenure in the role, beginning in 1985, the population of the Cherokee Nation more than doubled, and the relationships she bridged between the US government and the Cherokee Nation allowed it to expand its self-governance.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/us...cec/index.html
I got two of them today, I admit I didn't know who she was. But now I do.
Another person who gave a lot to our great country was George Washington Carver.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I got two of them today, I admit I didn't know who she was. But now I do.
Another person who gave a lot to our great country was George Washington Carver.
You got two of the Wilma Mankiller quarters? I haven’t seen a one, I see more of the Maya Angelou one, & less of the Sally Ride one. I’ve been sortof collecting them & giving them to family, friends & coworkers when I get them as change. I also liked the state quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies