Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 07:49 PM

506 posts, read 482,691 times

Advertisements

Debating skills are strengthened by debating. The problem is that so many progressives nowadays refuse to debate. Arguing against them is violence.

You reap what you sow.

People on the elite left tend to live in bubbles and echo chambers, whether they be in white collar offices, cities, academia, social media, Whole Foods, whatever.

Many never come into equal contact with someone from the working class ever. What I mean by "equal contact" is when they meet a person from the working class that isn't performing a service for them. If you chat up the HVAC guy at your condo, that isn't engaging with the working class because the guy is there to serve you. If he's smart, he'll be keeping his views to himself, unless it's related to your AC.

People on the right, on the other hand, will never live in as extreme of a bubble because progressive arguments are nearly impossible to avoid. People on the right, whether they like it or not, learn about leftist ideas if they watch pro sports, go to the movies, or watch TV.

So if the elite left continues to block their ears of everything they disagree with, they'll never learn to effectively debate counter arguments. Meanwhile, people on the right will get better at making their arguments. They're basically constantly in the defense now anyways.

Because of this, I think when the next generation of politicians starts running for elections, we're going to see much better arguments being made by people on the right than on the left. The right will especially better understand working class issues, which they kind of do now. But even if the left in the future has better policies in certain areas, they won't know how to effectively communicate those policies, except to fellow college grads (which will probably never make up a majority of voters). We're seeing a lot of this now, but it should only get more noticeable in the future. Unless progressives open their ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 02:49 PM

5,123 posts, read 2,181,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Debating skills are strengthened by debating. The problem is that so many progressives nowadays refuse to debate. Arguing against them is violence.

You reap what you sow.

People on the elite left tend to live in bubbles and echo chambers, whether they be in white collar offices, cities, academia, social media, Whole Foods, whatever.

Many never come into equal contact with someone from the working class ever. What I mean by "equal contact" is when they meet a person from the working class that isn't performing a service for them. If you chat up the HVAC guy at your condo, that isn't engaging with the working class because the guy is there to serve you. If he's smart, he'll be keeping his views to himself, unless it's related to your AC.

People on the right, on the other hand, will never live in as extreme of a bubble because progressive arguments are nearly impossible to avoid. People on the right, whether they like it or not, learn about leftist ideas if they watch pro sports, go to the movies, or watch TV.

So if the elite left continues to block their ears of everything they disagree with, they'll never learn to effectively debate counter arguments. Meanwhile, people on the right will get better at making their arguments. They're basically constantly in the defense now anyways.

Because of this, I think when the next generation of politicians starts running for elections, we're going to see much better arguments being made by people on the right than on the left. The right will especially better understand working class issues, which they kind of do now. But even if the left in the future has better policies in certain areas, they won't know how to effectively communicate those policies, except to fellow college grads (which will probably never make up a majority of voters). We're seeing a lot of this now, but it should only get more noticeable in the future. Unless progressives open their ears.
Everyone seems this….but them.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:17 PM

43,512 posts, read 18,592,810 times
They don't debate. They call you names.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:30 PM

24,683 posts, read 17,422,027 times
The most Liberal Lunatic Lefty I have ever known is like this. She is the type that lays down on the street in NYC to protest the latest outrage. She still has a BLM sign on her lawn. She donates to NPR. She is the only one I know that made good on her promise to leave the country if Trump was elected. She was gone for 2 years. I don't think she was missed by many.. Not by me. Today she is probably somewhere marching and waving a sign for Abortion Rights since Standing with the Ukraine is so 2 months ago...

She was never one for debate but boy would she give you a piece of her mind. She once said to me I do not care about facts. We don't talk anymore.
She didn't debate because her point of view is based on Lefty sound bites.

Crazy.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:33 PM

29,915 posts, read 25,040,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They don't debate. They call you names.

Yup. At least conservatives lay down some truth, logic and rationality first. The left doesn't have any of that to offer, so they move right to the name calling.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:41 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,530,217 times
While everything the OP said is true, many of the left’s ideas are causing the issues. Most people don’t agree with radical trans issue stances. They don’t agree that white people are innately evil. They don’t want to be heckled about Americans needing to get rid of their SUVs, while the elite gallivant around in private jets and China/India are full-bore on coal consumption.

Many leftist positions are factually incorrect. Of the subjective ones, many are just so weird that typical people, most of whom are just trying to provide for their families, pay the bills, and maybe save a bit, feel bewildered.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:03 PM

7,516 posts, read 3,647,045 times
very interesting thread. i too have experienced exactly what others have mentioned. i used to work with very opinionated left wingers. i knew to never disagree with them because it was better to keep the peace in the office because they would bash and personally insult anyone who had a center or right opinion.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:31 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,387,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post

You reap what you sow.

Well, they're not interested in debate. They're right, everybody is wrong. End of story.

Again... biggest difference between the lefty and righty is the lefty's absolute refusal to accept the rightie's right to a different opinion.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,329,480 times
I've argued with left-wing people countless times. I can't remember one ever beating me in an argument. If you let them talk long enough they'll often contradict themselves, and I'll just point that out. Of course many (most?) left-wing opinions are race-based, and I'll often point out that the people voicing these opinions live in very white areas, likely always have, and don't even know what they're talking aobut. Their responses to this are usually ridiculous.

Also, I like to ask people questions, to find out why they think the things that they do. I rarely see a left-wing person ask a person whom they disagree with any questions. I guess you don't need to when you already know everything.

Last edited by fat lou; 07-17-2022 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-17-2022, 04:56 PM

9,577 posts, read 4,400,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I've argued with left-wing people countless times. I can't remember one ever beating me in an argument. If you let them talk long enough they'll often contradict themselves, and I'll just point that out. Of course many (most?) left-wing opinions are race-based, and I'll often point out that the people voicing these opinions live in very white areas. Their responses to this are usually ridiculous.

Also, I like to ask people questions, to find out why they think the things that they do. I rarely see a left-wing person ask a person whom they disagree with any questions. I guess you don't need to when you already know everything.
Yep. And when they know they've lost, they resort to pretending certain events never happened, the George Floyd riots of 2020 being a recent example. Another is the "defund the police" movement, which they claim never happened now that the foreseeable outcome of defunding the police has come to fruition. My current favorite is "the economy is doing great", when its obvious to everyone but a complete imbecile that we're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies