Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 07:57 PM

5,805 posts, read 5,137,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Stranger Things is a great show that, as a Gen Xer, I have enjoyed very much. I have not paid any attention whatsoever to any of the view of the actors who are (a) actors and (b) for the most part, not Gen Xers.

I've lost track of the number of times I've pointed out on this forum that I would not have any idea of a particular actor's view on anything apart from the fact that it has been posted here. If you don't like it, why give it oxygen? Just let it go.

But but but there are those in the right who label the left as snowflakes and yet they are themselves incredibly sensitive to every little perceived, imagined, real or fake leftist “overreach”…….so sensitive.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Stranger Things is a great show that, as a Gen Xer, I have enjoyed very much. I have not paid any attention whatsoever to any of the view of the actors who are (a) actors and (b) for the most part, not Gen Xers.

I've lost track of the number of times I've pointed out on this forum that I would not have any idea of a particular actor's view on anything apart from the fact that it has been posted here. If you don't like it, why give it oxygen? Just let it go.
I'm glad my 20 year old that watches it understands the difference between "entertainment" and "fiction" and real life.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:07 PM

1,811 posts, read 916,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
For those who are not familiar with Stranger Things. Well there is a character, a teen boy named Will, where the story has left his sexuality up to debate. They are leaning on him being gay and that some people speculate that he might be in love with his childhood friend, Mike Wheeler. But Mike has shown no signs of being gay and that he is also in a romantic relationship with the main female character on the show, Eleven "Jane" Hopper. Now this actor, Brett Gelman, has went on twitter and stated he is team Mike/Will, and some fans have stated that they just don't feel that. Now he's calling anyone who is not for the pairing homophobic. And this is what is so wrong with the left. If your favorite character is a male, then you are against women. If your favorite ship is a hetero pairing, then you are a homophobe.
Never heard of him or his show.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:26 PM

13,783 posts, read 5,017,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It’s just another extension of the Left’s belief that if you don’t agree with everything they say, they can then label you ____-ist.
Why do you say “the left”? And why did the OP mention the Left in the thread title?

I haven’t seen anything indicating the political leaning of any of the actors. How do you know what party Gellman belongs to? For all we know he’s a conservative Republican who happens to be gay. Why must everything be a political issue with you people?

Old 07-18-2022, 05:06 AM

27,460 posts, read 13,680,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
For those who are not familiar with Stranger Things. Well there is a character, a teen boy named Will, where the story has left his sexuality up to debate. They are leaning on him being gay and that some people speculate that he might be in love with his childhood friend, Mike Wheeler. But Mike has shown no signs of being gay and that he is also in a romantic relationship with the main female character on the show, Eleven "Jane" Hopper. Now this actor, Brett Gelman, has went on twitter and stated he is team Mike/Will, and some fans have stated that they just don't feel that. Now he's calling anyone who is not for the pairing homophobic. And this is what is so wrong with the left. If your favorite character is a male, then you are against women. If your favorite ship is a hetero pairing, then you are a homophobe.
Stranger Things is supposed to be a bit of 80's escapism, and draws heavily on a more simpler time before this current woke agenda.

I suggest they leave it as fun escapism rather than try to re-work some kind of woke agenda in to it.

The great directors of the 70's and 80's, such as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, John Hughes etc never tried to over complicate plots and were simply about escapism, and it is from these directors that the Duffer Brothers seem to have taken inspiration, so why spoil a good thing.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-18-2022 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-18-2022, 05:41 AM

7,093 posts, read 2,781,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think about 95% of what's on TV is dumb. So guess what? I don't watch it. And I sure don't try to extrapolate meaning about society from it. Nor do I pay particular attention to anything actors have to say. You should give it a try. I bet you'll be happier for it.
I only watch classic TV shows from the 50's/60's/70's on MeTV, AntennaTV, COZI, getTV, and H&I.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:51 AM

18,474 posts, read 7,132,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This season Robin a Lesbian character was introduced. That bother you too? Why? To show her fearlessness and bravery in going after the monster.

Think if this show took place in the 50's they would have a romantic inter-racial teenage couple (Matt and Lucas) as well? Do you also think there is something "kinky" about the love between a grown man (Hopper) and a teen girl (Eleven)? Why are they showing DRUG DEALERS?

What is the point in all these out of the "mainstream characters? To show that even in small town, rural America gays, inter-racial couples, etc., exist, and that LOVE will conquer.

I grew up in NYC but spent my summers as a kid in rural Indiana in the 50's and 60's.
. What surprised me was that it was not really very different between the Big City, except it was all hushed up and went on behind closed doors In Indiana. Maybe that changed by the 80's when Stranger Things takes place.

I don't know about where you lived, but where I grew up and went to school in the 80's, openly gay kids were as rare as hen's teeth.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:23 AM

78,801 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Couple of points since there appears to be a lot of commenting from people that may not have watched the show.

1. There is one Lesbian character and she very much keeps it on the down-low only sharing this with friends and then subtly. The town this is set is a medium\smallish town, they are portraying it pretty acurately for the 80's.

2. The male character <possible spoilers>

Yeah, he's likely gay and confused but he imo he is still infected from the upside down and fears he's going to turn into something like Vecna himself. There is a whole lot of small tells like him rubbing his neck as the camera briefly focuses there etc.

That's it. Then there are a bunch of straight relationships, tons of them. It's done well, it's not gratuitious like in some shows where they just feel they need to insert some diversity from out of nowhere and it comes off as grossly contrived.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:34 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Couple of points since there appears to be a lot of commenting from people that may not have watched the show.

1. There is one Lesbian character and she very much keeps it on the down-low only sharing this with friends and then subtly. The town this is set is a medium\smallish town, they are portraying it pretty acurately for the 80's.

2. The male character <possible spoilers>

Yeah, he's likely gay and confused but he imo he is still infected from the upside down and fears he's going to turn into something like Vecna himself. There is a whole lot of small tells like him rubbing his neck as the camera briefly focuses there etc.

That's it. Then there are a bunch of straight relationships, tons of them. It's done well, it's not gratuitious like in some shows where they just feel they need to insert some diversity from out of nowhere and it comes off as grossly contrived.
Good summary.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:36 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Because media is the way our societal norms are defined.

Either through TV, music, news and most currently social media.

But you knew that didn't you?
Or does art imitate/represent life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies