Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Perhaps pgh is simply stating the truth by reminding you that the "Bush regime" is under the oversight of a hostile Congress, whose members are complicit with the policies of the government.

He has nothing to "own up to", not having been a member of Congress himself.
I wonder why the Congress is hostile? Could it be they are as tired of all of this as I am? I just get tired of people's inability to look at how this administration has found every loophole possible so as to avoid what is. It just makes me sick and I don't get it. I posted that link about the machinations of Bushco and just what happened so as to get away with torture and murder and no one takes issue with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think thats the funniest thing about the people crying about the actions of Bush.

A Republican president using the laws created by a Democrat and they all start crying, but none of them had an issue when Clinton was writing, or using the laws that Clinton created by executive orders, without Congressional input.
I didn't hear anyone complain about these issues when Clinton was in office. All I heard was Monica this and Whitewater that. Back then very few eyes were open. Now, every action by our government must be scrutinized because the trust has been broken...slowly over the course of many administrations, more recently by Clinton's unimportant sexual liaisons, and then at full-volume by Bush's out-to-lunch logic. Had I known then what I know now, my voice would have been louder regardless of political affiliation.

And yet again with the disparaging comments: "they all start crying"! As proven on these forums time and again, those with conservative viewpoints are extremely rude and show no respect or compassion for others. I can picture the sneers on their faces, the good 'ol boy elbowing and winking like bigots at a small town Alabama barbershop in the 60s. That's how I have grown to picture them. Their tactics are so divisive it makes me run from conservatives like I'm running from the plague, despite my many conservative views. Try as hard as I can, every olive branch I extend to them is burned and thrown back in my face. If this is how Americans treat each other, it's doomed. Who needs enemies when we've got each other?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:50 PM

Well spoken as an INTJ. I am an INFP. Perhaps that is what makes us more sensitive than conservatives. My money is on that, but I don't think a study has ever been done on this.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I didn't hear anyone complain about these issues when Clinton was in office. All I heard was Monica this and Whitewater that. Back then very few eyes were open. Now, every action by our government must be scrutinized because the trust has been broken...slowly over the course of many administrations, more recently by Clinton's unimportant sexual liaisons, and then at full-volume by Bush's out-to-lunch logic. Had I known then what I know now, my voice would have been louder regardless of political affiliation.
While Clinton did not sign a lot of executive orders (compared to other presidents), they were far reaching. They extended from the Gulf War Chemical and Biological Incidents, to Federalism. The executive orders were widely criticized and just because you were to busy trying to hear about the bj's he was getting, doesnt mean people didnt care about the policies that were being passed.

Quote:
And yet again with the disparaging comments: "they all start crying"! As proven on these forums time and again, those with conservative viewpoints are extremely rude and show no respect or compassion for others. I can picture the sneers on their faces, the good 'ol boy elbowing and winking like bigots at a small town Alabama barbershop in the 60s. That's how I have grown to picture them. Their tactics are so divisive it makes me run from conservatives like I'm running from the plague, despite my many conservative views. Try as hard as I can, every olive branch I extend to them is burned and thrown back in my face. If this is how America argues, it's doomed.
Oh please, you first complain about being accused of crying, and your response was that you call me a bigot in an Alabama barbershop from the 60's.

yeah, that wasnt an insult, just dont accuse me of crying...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
While Clinton did not sign a lot of executive orders (compared to other presidents), they were far reaching. They extended from the Gulf War Chemical and Biological Incidents, to Federalism. The executive orders were widely criticized and just because you were to busy trying to hear about the bj's he was getting, doesnt mean people didnt care about the policies that were being passed.
I wasn't as involved in politics then as I am now. A sense of urgency does that to people, they pay more attention. Don't be rude and tell me that I was paying attention to the Clinton shenanigans. I ignored them because they weren't important. I wish that the conservatives back then had raised the issues you describe instead of making sex the subject of everything. These issues were not any many people's radars.

Quote:
Oh please, you first complain about being accused of crying, and your response was that you call me a bigot in an Alabama barbershop from the 60's.

yeah, that wasnt an insult, just dont accuse me of crying...
Exactly the response I'd expect. You missed the point. And no I won't ever accuse you of crying...because I know you can't (cry, that is).

Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I wasn't as involved in politics then as I am now. A sense of urgency does that to people, they pay more attention. Don't be rude and tell me that I was paying attention to the Clinton shenanigans. I ignored them because they weren't important. I wish that the conservatives back then had raised the issues you describe instead of making sex the subject of everything. These issues were not any many people's radars.

Exactly the response I'd expect. You missed the point. And no I won't ever accuse you of crying...because I know you can't (cry, that is).
And exactly the response I expected from you. Clintons potential Whitewater banking fraud allegations, and lying under oath not important to you, followed up by another insult against me personally..

I do note that never did I make a personal attack against you, but you have now insulted ME twice. Ironic that your the one complaining about being attacked dont you think?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM

What happened to the topic of the thread? As a sidenote, Bush supporters, get over Clinton and focus on what is TODAY.

Here's another interesting article...

Quote:
The Real Meaning of the Hamdan Ruling
Supreme Court: Bush Administration Has Committed War Crimes

By DAVE LINDORFF

Largely missed in all the coverage of the Supreme Court's landmark ruling in the Hamdan v. Rumsfeld case was the establishment by the court majority that all Bush administration claims to the contrary, the Geneva Convention rules regarding captured prisoners apply to the captives taken not only in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but in the so-called War on Terror.

What has been largely missed is the clear point that the Supreme Court has now declared that for the past five years, Bush and his gang of war-mongers, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State and former National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, former Attorney General Donald Rumsfeld and current Attorney General and former White House Chief Counsel Alberto Gonzales, and many others in the administration, have been guilty of violating the Third Convention on treatment of prisoners of war. They are also, therefore, in violation of federal law, which back in 1996 adopted that convention as part of the U.S. criminal code.
Dave Lindorff: The Real Meaning of the Hamdan Ruling

Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
What happened to the topic of the thread? As a sidenote, Bush supporters, get over Clinton and focus on what is TODAY.
It wasnt a Bush supporter that brought up Clinton's sex life (it never is).. I brought up policies and laws that Clinton passed that Bush has used..

You cant "get over" policies and laws laws, but I understand why those on the left want to "get over" them.. I wouldnt want to hear about Bush not violating laws that Clinton created either..

Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post

Here's another interesting article...

Dave Lindorff: The Real Meaning of the Hamdan Ruling
Oh great.. another link to sell yet another book (I'm noticing a pattern here)... but AGAIN I ask...

"What has been largely missed is the clear point that the Supreme Court has now declared that for the past five years, Bush and his gang of war-mongers, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State and former National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, former Attorney General Donald Rumsfeld and current Attorney General and former White House Chief Counsel Alberto Gonzales, and many others in the administration, have been guilty of violating the Third Convention on treatment of prisoners of war. They are also, therefore, in violation of federal law, which back in 1996 adopted that convention as part of the U.S. criminal code. "

WHAT section of the Third Convention of the treatments of prisoners did BUSH violated and what were the penalties assigned? THERE WAS NONE!!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Oh great.. another link to sell yet another book (I'm noticing a pattern here)... but AGAIN I ask...

"What has been largely missed is the clear point that the Supreme Court has now declared that for the past five years, Bush and his gang of war-mongers, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State and former National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, former Attorney General Donald Rumsfeld and current Attorney General and former White House Chief Counsel Alberto Gonzales, and many others in the administration, have been guilty of violating the Third Convention on treatment of prisoners of war. They are also, therefore, in violation of federal law, which back in 1996 adopted that convention as part of the U.S. criminal code. "

WHAT section of the Third Convention of the treatments of prisoners did BUSH violated and what were the penalties assigned? THERE WAS NONE!!
I don't know what planet you live on and if you want to debate just what constitutes torture or degradation I ain't going there, as you see nothing wrong with waterboarding...

Quote:
Article 3

In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties, each party to the conflict shall be bound to apply, as a minimum, the following provisions:

1. Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.

To this end the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:

(a) Violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;

(b) Taking of hostages;

(c) Outrages upon personal dignity, in particular, humiliating and degrading treatment;

(d) The passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgment pronounced by a regularly constituted court affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples.
There you go. Now, don't go blowing a vein like O'Really. I have answered your question and that's it. P.S. Don't go telling me Bush didn't know about this. Any CEO is responsible for the actions of those below him. And don't tell me Rumsfeld didn't bother to tip him off. And go back and read where Gonzales told him to rewrite and redefine things in order to minimize the chances for being charged with war crimes. We are done here pgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies