Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer View Post
I never said I was not a minority nor did I say that I was either. Funny when someone has nothing productive to say, they always attack grammer. Wrap your brains around that. Coded words are just that coded. When someone is called upon it, then it is easy to say "well I meant everyone, not just the one that me and my friends were winking and nodding about" We all know that "Ghetto" is a code word for black. Here are some other translations that are being use to describe areas. Crime=Black, Up and coming=Lots of white yuppies moving into a majority minority area, changing=Too many minorities moving in, Safe=white neighbohood regardless of crime statistics, Scary=Black neighborhood regardless of crime statistics, Mix="Area about to face white flight, so lets tell interracial couples and blacks its ok to move there now, while we look for another place," Nice="majority white neighborhood regardless of services, transportation etc" Ghetto=Black and Hispanic areas that are not so appealling to whites, blacks and any other race regardless of crime statistics, services, transportation etc and if someone call us on using the term then we can just say that 'I call everywhere a ghetto"
Plenty of towns in Arkansas that are run-down ghettos in my opinion. They're also completely white.

Just like the N word, I guess ghetto can mean whatever you want it to since the original meaning has been lost.

As for grammar, I wasn't referencing that. What I was desperately trying to point the flashlight at was your statement about me saying you were a minority. I never said you were a minority. Just like you never actually said I was a racist either. Either way, your views and opinions have rendered you irrelevant to me.

Cheers

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 PM

48 posts, read 461,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Well thanks for clearing that up. You're not a minority, and obviously not an English major either. Please re-read my post.

-TT

You said I'm not a minority, I never said that I was not, nor did I say that I was.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
Quote:
Plenty of towns in Arkansas that are run-down ghettos in my opinion. They're also completely white.
We call those areas 'trailer parks'...

Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 AM

40 posts, read 147,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I agree with this post, however, the comment was not made by Bush. It was made by Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE), in an interview with the NY Observer, after he announced he was running for President.

This is what Biden said: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

The phrase, "first mainstream African American", makes me wonder what Biden thinks of the others that came before Obama.
The man is speaking his mind

Old 02-17-2007, 07:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
We definitely need a PC dictionary, with today's land mine of ambiguous terms. Wonder if there is now a college degree offered in PC Culture in America.

One of my favorite expressions of all time found in the movie, A Few Good Men: "You can't handle the Truth".

Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
If enough people from a particular group say that a word is derogatory and offensive to them, then the rest of us should have the courtesy and decency to hear their request and adjust. I know some people can be overly sensitive, but in most cases it's not hard to figure out which words are acceptable and which are truly offensive...and when we know that some words are hurtful and hateful, how bout we just use our manners and good upbringing and strike those words from our vocabulary? Harmony sounds pretty simple to me.

I conducted an informal survey about the word 'ghetto', and NOT ONE person I surveyed considered it offensive - not even a little bit.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
And what is the truth, Lilypad? Your truth, my truth? His truth?

Who is afraid of what and which truth?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
If enough people from a particular group say that a word is derogatory and offensive to them, then the rest of us should have the courtesy and decency to hear their request and adjust. I know some people can be overly sensitive, but in most cases it's not hard to figure out which words are acceptable and which are truly offensive...and when we know that some words are hurtful and hateful, how bout we just use our manners and good upbringing and strike those words from our vocabulary? Harmony sounds pretty simple to me.

I conducted an informal survey about the word 'ghetto', and NOT ONE person I surveyed considered it offensive - not even a little bit.
That's exactly what I always say... what's wrong with being considerate of other's feelings, and simply refraining from using offensive language?? As you said, some people are obviously overly-sensitive, but common sense can tell us what's unacceptable. If somebody feels SO strongly about using an offensive term, it makes me wonder what their motivations are.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's exactly what I always say... what's wrong with being considerate of other's feelings, and simply refraining from using offensive language?? As you said, some people are obviously overly-sensitive, but common sense can tell us what's unacceptable. If somebody feels SO strongly about using an offensive term, it makes me wonder what their motivations are.
The motivation is simple. People are tired of being told what they can, and cannot say. So when something comes along that is questionable, like this, they're perfectly content telling the complainant to go pound sand.

I feel the same way. I'm sick to death of being told what term to use, when to use it, how to use it, blah blah blah. It was cute in the 90's, but now it's just old. Sure, people are offended at some words. I guess what THOSE people are going to have to come to terms with is people like me are offended by those who tell them what words to use. Somebody has to be offended, it might as well be THEM. Somebody has to be happy, and it might as well be ME.

-TT

Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
The motivation is simple. People are tired of being told what they can, and cannot say. So when something comes along that is questionable, like this, they're perfectly content telling the complainant to go pound sand.

I feel the same way. I'm sick to death of being told what term to use, when to use it, how to use it, blah blah blah. It was cute in the 90's, but now it's just old. Sure, people are offended at some words. I guess what THOSE people are going to have to come to terms with is people like me are offended by those who tell them what words to use. Somebody has to be offended, it might as well be THEM. Somebody has to be happy, and it might as well be ME.

-TT

I concur. No true progress will be made if people are not allowed to have honest discussions without being labelled, sound bited, or filtered by the PC patrol. I'm sick of it. We have a great country and we need to be able to promote honest and open dialog. I don't want to have to "run away" from my community because its not popular to address known problems such as increasing poverty and associate problems such as children being born without identified fathers into bad situations and having the PC say that its "okay" we just need more social programs to support these new "family structures."

People make mistakes, are misperceived, misquoted, or taken out of context. This is exactly why a large number of caring people in this country just won't step up.

I've been trying to encourage honest and open dialog in my hometown of Bristol, CT. I have been by politically-savy people of both parties that if my message threatens their success they will "take me down."

I've already experienced being quoted out of context in the newspaper and had to reiterate my statement and position.

Check out unitebristol.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies