Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 07:20 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times

Advertisements

Florida used to be a swing state and now it looks like a red state.

Is this because the massive baby boomer retiree cohort is moving there en masse?

Or is it because Caribbean Latinos (def Cubans, less so Puerto Ricans) are more likely to vote Republican than in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 07:27 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Before the Baby Boomers started moving to Florida en masse, the Greatest Generation retirees did. And they were more conservative than the Boomers. As for the Hispanics, they've been coming to Florida at least since the Mariel boat lift of 1980, and well before then. I think what's different now is that Florida positioned itself as a refuge from COVID restrictions, and people who chafed under those restrictions in Northern states (such people being more likely to be conservative than the people who supported the restrictions) started flooding into the state.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:28 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Before the Baby Boomers started moving to Florida en masse, the Greatest Generation retirees did. And they were more conservative than the Boomers. As for the Hispanics, they've been coming to Florida at least since the Mariel boat lift of 1980, and well before then. I think what's different now is that Florida positioned itself as a refuge from COVID restrictions, and people who chafed under those restrictions in Northern states (such people being more likely to be conservative than the people who supported the restrictions) started flooding into the state.
I agree with this. Also, DeSantis did a good job of reopening schools.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That's not right. The GI/Greatest generation were the classic New Deal types and they were more politically Democratic, even into old age, than the baby boomers.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...-have-changed/

Quote:
The Greatest generation is dwindling in numbers, but at least until recently their Democratic tendencies were still evident. Voters who turned 18 during the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt consistently voted more Democratic than average.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:57 PM

900 posts, read 376,066 times
Florida is a doomed state... it's only a matter of time before some natural disaster of epic proportions happens in the state... my parents lost their home twice, we finally managed to convince them to return to their old home in San Diego California.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:02 PM

35,715 posts, read 21,081,460 times
It was noted that more repubs move to Fl in the last 3 yrs. The religious right put their voices out there through DeSantis and that attracted many parents. The fear of trans and LBGTQ running amuck in schools scared them. The blaming little white kids of being responsible for slavery scared them. Twisting the mask mandates as parents freedom attracted them, regardless of how many died. He made everything about parents rights, but in fact- his bills take away rights of some people.
Presentation was key. Nobody researches anything. The Latinos were in agreement of him shipping those folks to MV, not sure how he twisted that one in SFL. And of course in our state 15 weeks abortion is fair to most.
He had the money and good PR. I did not like Crist, he stayed quiet and bland, he did not rise to the occasion. Dems need some folks with fire for the national election.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
Florida is a doomed state... it's only a matter of time before some natural disaster of epic proportions happens in the state... my parents lost their home twice, we finally managed to convince them to return to their old home in San Diego California.
Been hearing this all my life. Always cracks me up.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:13 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It was noted that more repubs move to Fl in the last 3 yrs. The religious right put their voices out there through DeSantis and that attracted many parents. The fear of trans and LBGTQ running amuck in schools scared them. The blaming little white kids of being responsible for slavery scared them. Twisting the mask mandates as parents freedom attracted them, regardless of how many died. He made everything about parents rights, but in fact- his bills take away rights of some people.
Presentation was key. Nobody researches anything. The Latinos were in agreement of him shipping those folks to MV, not sure how he twisted that one in SFL. And of course in our state 15 weeks abortion is fair to most.
He had the money and good PR. I did not like Crist, he stayed quiet and bland, he did not rise to the occasion. Dems need some folks with fire for the national election.
Nah, folks simply had enough of living in fear and shutting it down Dem Governors handling the situation so poorly so they left for greener pastures…and the mask mandates and trying to mandate folks to take an experimental shot was even more ridiculous…and it’s really funny how my body my choice changes depending on what one’s narrative it is. And nothing wrong with spreading the wealth of illegals. After all, the Dems want them in the country by the millions, even during the pandemic. Funny how they had no problem with them being exempt from the shot, untested, unvaxxed, etc…

Old 11-12-2022, 08:16 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You need to stop watching CNN.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:17 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nah, folks simply had enough of living in fear and shutting it down Dem Governors handling the situation so poorly so they left for greener pastures…and the mask mandates and trying to mandate folks to take an experimental shot was even more ridiculous…and it’s really funny how my body my choice changes depending on what one’s narrative it is. And nothing wrong with spreading the wealth of illegals. After all, the Dems want them in the country by the millions, even during the pandemic. Funny how they had no problem with them being exempt from the shot, untested, unvaxxed, etc…
You're asking a democrat to think rationally.....I think we know by now that's too much to ask.

Parents also don't appreciate being told that what schools teach their children in public schools THAT THEY PAY FOR is none of their business.

DeSantis won because he had balls, stood for something and did a generally good job as Governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies