Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 09:16 PM

661 posts, read 834,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Sounds like something the Russians would do. A lot of healthy Russians dropping dead recently. Or walling off a building.
Look closer to home, ever hear of Arkancide or Epsteined. Russia is not our problem. Our problem is in our own backyards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 06:25 AM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Look closer to home, ever hear of Arkancide or Epsteined. Russia is not our problem. Our problem is in our own backyards.
We have problems all over Russia, China, OPEC+ and domestically. We don't have nor have ever had just one problem.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:40 PM

21,870 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Harsh you say? I always hear the left whining that white collar criminals usually get a slap on the wrist compared to ordinary criminals. Now they might be getting that in which they've been calling for for decades now to make up for it.
Bahamas isn't the place to go if you're going to fight extradition. Dunno, he just seems like kind a stupid criminal. I'm sure he's smart in other ways but the Bahamas isn't where you go to try and flee US law. And if you get arrested there why bother fighting it? They're going to send you back. All he's accomplished is he'll spend a few unnecessary weeks in a really nasty environment instead of nicer digs in a US fed pen.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:00 PM

9,902 posts, read 4,663,177 times
Investors could get some money back by forcing FTX to claw back political donations among other things.

https://www.bitcoininsider.org/artic...kruptcy-report

Clawbacks are how some Madoff investors got some money back.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:57 AM

11,146 posts, read 10,720,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Bahamas isn't the place to go if you're going to fight extradition. Dunno, he just seems like kind a stupid criminal. I'm sure he's smart in other ways but the Bahamas isn't where you go to try and flee US law. And if you get arrested there why bother fighting it? They're going to send you back. All he's accomplished is he'll spend a few unnecessary weeks in a really nasty environment instead of nicer digs in a US fed pen.
Give him a week or two in Fox Hill and he’ll be begging to be extradited back to the states. The Bahamians don’t have the same view of prisoner “rights” as we do. San Quentin would be more pleasant than that place.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:20 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, he probably would have been better getting a one way ticket to Russia, if he didn't want to be extradited, maybe buy a house near Snowden!

Old 12-17-2022, 07:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think the celebs like Tom Brady who promoted FTX should be held personally responsible for some of the losses and be sued. There are people who invested in this stuff just because Shaq or Brady said so. That should carry some weight. Real financial institutions have all sorts of regulations before someone can hand over their life savings. With crypto its enough that Tom Brady said to do it?

And maybe running a fraudulent crypto scam should be a capital offense? I am down with that.

Crypto firm BlockFi files for bankruptcy as FTX fallout spreads
  • It’s the latest in a series of crypto bankruptcies, following FTX, Voyager and Celsius.
The celebrities should only be liable if they were money investors into the company. If they were hired, they could have been lied to and deceived by the company with off figures.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:58 AM

78,476 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The celebrities should only be liable if they were money investors into the company. If they were hired, they could have been lied to and deceived by the company with off figures.
The celebs have no skill set nor requirement to do an endorsement of a company and their finances or business practices.

They can rely upon the accountants and govt. oversight (if applicable) for such things.

If they knew the company used child labor or was illegal in some way then sure.

Anyone foolish enough to trust celebrity endorsements, stadium naming deals or commercials of any kind to jump into investing etc. has hopefully learned a lesson.

It's particularly bizarre to be blaming others too because many of us have cautioned about crypto, I recall even having an argument with someone here claiming that they're legit because they have these stadiums named after them to which I pointed out a bunch of other stadiums deals in the past with now bankrupt dotcom or other companies.

People were warned, nobody wanted to listen to the "old folks" that saw people get burned by dotcoms, house flipping and other stuff which comes in cycles of every 10 years or so. Vote with your wallet, be a little cautious...at least you don't have to constantly hear about how crypto is making everybody millionaires from every bro and their podcasts etc. now.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:10 AM

336 posts, read 182,675 times
My Nana's investment group in Del Boca Vista warned me off the crypto craze sometime ago.

Instead they steered me into Madrigal Electromotive GmbH who were investing in a chain of tasty chicken restaurants throughout the Southwest.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:34 AM

57,344 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Wait a minute. Does this mean that when celebrities endorse things they do so out of self interest because they're being paid!? And not doing it as a generous altruistic act to help out the little people!?

I have a hard time coming up with sympathy for people who dumped money they couldn't afford to lose into FTX or any other one of these companies because a celebrity on TV told them to. Hopefully some valuable (if not expensive) lessons will be learned here. Speculation is not investing. Tom Brady or any other celebrity is not looking out for you. FOMO and dreams of hitting it big are not great investment strategies.
If you recall the investment fund run by Bernie Madoff was also a house of cards and there were plenty of celebrities involved. Never a good reason to jump on the train because of a celebrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies