Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 06:48 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Yup. while the press loves to focus on whether or not one is "armed", the bottom line is, does the person pulling the trigger have a reasonable belief that theirs (or another's) life is at risk and therefore deadly force is necessary. That could mean that they are about to deliver a coup de grace stomp to someone's head or about to shove someone off a bridge.
That's not the question in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
That's great,...so this must be false reporting

The two don't jive.
Well, I posted an article shortly upthread, with the police report stating there is video of him shooting the thief as the thief was running out the store.

However, prior to that, the thief was in a struggle with two of the employees when Jackson entered the store.

I can't imagine that otherwise, Jackson would be charged with anything if he shot at the thief while he was engaged in combat with the Dollar General employee.

573 posts, read 260,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
' as he was fleeing'.

Enough said.

Guilty .
Who said he was fleeing?
Are you Jean Dixon speaking from the Grave?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
90% chance Jackson will received a Grand Jury, "No-Bill" and walk away free and clear. -----Betts the, "shoplifter" as some of you are trying to spin it had in fact been a serial shoplifter who had just committed assault and battery for sure and robbery* resulting in injuries to at least one woman and likely two. He was actively fighting the women when he was shot.

*Dallas police applied the term robbery to Betts not me.
Perp committed assault against employee (from the story).
  • How bad was the assault...was the clerk bleeding?
  • did clerk need medical attention....?
  • was clerk 'Screaming for help'---?
  • how big was perp...?
  • was he 6ft, 200lbs with a Prior Record for Violence?
  • an Ex-con already on parole for Violence ???

Old 12-02-2022, 06:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Maybe not. But how is a business owner supposed to protect his inventory, and thus his livelihood, if he is not allowed to defend his property against those who would steal it? Kind of a rhetorical question in this case, in that the shooter was a customer, not the store owner. But even so, it's something that needs to be fleshed out. It's easy enough to say that a few one-dollar items aren't worth a life; but what if those one-dollar items are one's means of sustenance?
Insurance?!

Old 12-02-2022, 06:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Maybe not. But how is a business owner supposed to protect his inventory, and thus his livelihood, if he is not allowed to defend his property against those who would steal it? Kind of a rhetorical question in this case, in that the shooter was a customer, not the store owner. But even so, it's something that needs to be fleshed out. It's easy enough to say that a few one-dollar items aren't worth a life; but what if those one-dollar items are one's means of sustenance?
An aside, but Dollar General isn't Dollar Tree. Dollar General is like a low budget Walmart (did I just say that?) and Dollar Tree has items for $1.25.

Dollar General is one of the VERY few retail outlets that is thriving - springing up everywhere, in a time where brick and mortar stores are shrinking. They are generally in areas that can't support a Walmart, and they're popping up like mushrooms.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:56 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have mixed feelings about this.

Yes, if you nitpick this incident you can go on and on about how there was no weapon therefore no deadly force was necessary, etc.

However, in light of how criminals have run amok recently, and that this criminal may in the future have committed theft that leads to death of innocent civilians, this was a good outcome.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...269397627.html

Its not nitpicking. Killing unarmed people who are not posing a danger is not ok. Its not ok when the police do it nor and its not ok when a customer does this.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Insurance?!
How many claims will be paid before the policy is cancelled?

Old 12-02-2022, 09:53 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its not nitpicking. Killing unarmed people who are not posing a danger is not ok. Its not ok when the police do it nor and its not ok when a customer does this.
I agree with your view. I didn't read the entire story, only the highlights. Based on the facts, the guy with the gun should not have shot anyone. His life wasn't being threatened. The armed man is in some serious trouble. You can't play vigilante just because you have a gun in your hand. smh

Old 12-03-2022, 12:47 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
90% chance Jackson will received a Grand Jury, "No-Bill" and walk away free and clear.

Betts the, "shoplifter" as some of you are trying to spin it had in fact been a serial shoplifter who had just committed assault and battery for sure and robbery* resulting in injuries to at least one woman and likely two. He was actively fighting the women when he was shot.

*Dallas police applied the term robbery to Betts not me.
Based on the limited information available so far, a "no bill" is unlikely. If it was a strong-arm robbery (as in no weapon or implied threat of weapon was involved), then the use of deadly force could only be justified if he was literally in the act of beating the complete and utter tar out of someone.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:50 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
This is why store employees are told not to fight or get in the way of someone stealing. It does not work out in anyone's favor not involved in the theft including bystanders.
Exactly. Rule #1 you don’t fight people who have nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies