Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 09:38 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times

Advertisements

Jury convicted the company has to pay up to 1.6 million fines. A rather small amount for this company.Still no charges for Trump. ABC TV news that I saw tries to give the impression we've got him now.
The IRS never found anything wrong with the company's returns.
I'm surprised no one else made a thread on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 09:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
I saw this a bit ago. I was going to post it but immediately shot it down. The report was from CNN. I thought better than that. I know how rabid some Trumpsters are, especially when it comes to CNN.

I believe Trump is untouchable. Someone with all that money and support? People will be waiting a long time if and only if he is convicted in any form.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
There were a ton of threads about this earlier today. Not sure what happened to them.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:39 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
There were a ton of threads about this earlier today. Not sure what happened to them.
This is getting to be too much. Seems like more and more threads are disappearing.

Here's the article

Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud

Here's what's salient.

In his testimony Weisselberg said, “It was a benefit to the company but primarily it was due to my greed.” He told the jury that the company saved money by paying less taxes on his off-the-books compensation and acknowledged when asked by prosecutor Susan Hoffinger if, while his primary goal was to avoid taxes, it also created a benefit to the company.

“To some degree, yes,” Weisselberg testified.

Weisselberg said he and McConney knew at the time that the company would pay less payroll taxes through the scheme although he said they never discussed it explicitly.

The Trump attorneys argued, repeatedly, to the jury that “Weisselberg did it for Weisselberg” to emphasize that he was motivated solely by his personal greed.

On cross examination, Weisselberg agreed that the decision to not pay taxes was his and made solely to benefit himself.

“That was my intent,” Weisselberg said when questioned by the Trump attorneys, “to benefit myself.”

Trump had nothing to do with this.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 12-06-2022 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 10:48 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I remember when Spiro Agnew stepped down from his VP position after being convicted of tax fraud. No one should serve in Washington if they're guilty of this. Doesn't matter to me which political party they represent. I think there are more in DC that have done this sort of thing but haven't been exposed yet. It's the main reason I don't support politicians. They're just criminals in suits.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:58 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is getting to be too much. Seems like more and more threads are disappearing.

Here's the article

Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud

Here's what's salient.

In his testimony Weisselberg said, “It was a benefit to the company but primarily it was due to my greed.” He told the jury that the company saved money by paying less taxes on his off-the-books compensation and acknowledged when asked by prosecutor Susan Hoffinger if, while his primary goal was to avoid taxes, it also created a benefit to the company.

“To some degree, yes,” Weisselberg testified.

Weisselberg said he and McConney knew at the time that the company would pay less payroll taxes through the scheme although he said they never discussed it explicitly.

The Trump attorneys argued, repeatedly, to the jury that “Weisselberg did it for Weisselberg” to emphasize that he was motivated solely by his personal greed.

On cross examination, Weisselberg agreed that the decision to not pay taxes was his and made solely to benefit himself.

“That was my intent,” Weisselberg said when questioned by the Trump attorneys, “to benefit myself.”

Trump had nothing to do with this.

Yes, you are quoting the defense argument. However, the jury rejected it. Recall, Mr. Weisselberg plead guilty to 15 counts of fraud, and was sentenced to five months in prison, five years probation. In exchange, he agreed to limited testimony at the trial (he would not testify concerning what Mr. Trump knew). There was other evidence showing that Mr. Trump signed off on certain aspects of the fraud.

I remember how Trump's children said that Mr. Trump knew everything that was going in his businesses. Of course, they may have been lying.

New York has a more significant civil case coming up (the most the two Trump entities can be fined in the criminal trial is 1.6 million), with the trial slated for next October. In that case, if civil fraud against Mr. Trump and his three eldest children is proven, they face fines of up to 250 million.

Plus, this criminal fraud case may interest the IRS.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:05 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Mostly, I figure let it play out.

Some are hoping this is the straw that finally takes Trump down. And some are thinking that the witch hunt just keeps rolling along.

Personally, I wonder how they managed to field a jury that really was unbiased in NYC.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Mostly, I figure let it play out.

Some are hoping this is the straw that finally takes Trump down. And some are thinking that the witch hunt just keeps rolling along.

Personally, I wonder how they managed to field a jury that really was unbiased in NYC.
Are you saying you don't trust the US Court system? Selection of jurors has to be agreed by the lawyers from both sides of the case. There is a process to ensure the jurors selected are capable of focusing on the law and the evidence presented.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:19 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
I was pleased to see the results of this case. Rich people who get "free" apartments, cars and private school tuition paid for by their employer should not also get a break on income taxes. Those perks are considered compensation and require income tax to be paid.

The company failed to report that non-monetary compensation to the IRS and thus failed to send in the proper income tax to the government.

I don't think those perks were given just to Weisselberg. It would be very strange if Donald and his children didn't get similar perks. Where is the lawsuit on that?

Old 12-07-2022, 07:43 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are you saying you don't trust the US Court system? Selection of jurors has to be agreed by the lawyers from both sides of the case. There is a process to ensure the jurors selected are capable of focusing on the law and the evidence presented.
That is NOT what I said.

I am well aware that both attorneys must approve the jurors. I just think the propensity of available jurors in New York probably do not have a favorable opinion of Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies