Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 08:10 AM

846 posts, read 686,448 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice they're liberal politically, but conservative on an individual lifestyle? While I believe the government should make reforms (i.e. single-payer health care, anti-trust laws and such), I don't expect it to happen, and people should live as if it'll never happen.

In some ways, I feel very conservative:
* Increasing your income is more important than campaigning or activism.
* Be clean-cut, professional. No hand/neck tattoos. No hard drugs. Not too much casual sex (though I'm not judging). Wake up at 6am; don't go out drinking till 3am.
* I still believe the traditional route of getting a degree/trade/certification and working a 9-5 with benefits is better than side hustles, multiple jobs, instability, etc.
* Most people will blame their economic troubles solely on society. But I believe that 80% of people don't really live up to their potential; they get distracted. If people truly did everything they could to learn new skills, present themselves properly and network, they would likely be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 08:36 AM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
* Increasing your income is more important than campaigning or activism.
you can do both

Quote:
* Be clean-cut, professional. No hand/neck tattoos. No hard drugs. Not too much casual sex (though I'm not judging). Wake up at 6am; don't go out drinking till 3am.

* I still believe the traditional route of getting a degree/trade/certification and working a 9-5 with benefits is better than side hustles, multiple jobs, instability, etc.

* Most people will blame their economic troubles solely on society. But I believe that 80% of people don't really live up to their potential; they get distracted. If people truly did everything they could to learn new skills, present themselves properly and network, they would likely be successful.
Everyone cant be successful, it causes inflation(at least, that is what we have been told by Conservatives)

Old 02-19-2023, 09:09 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,836,067 times
I'm socially liberal, but fiscally conservative.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:11 AM

7,416 posts, read 3,564,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm socially liberal, but fiscally conservative.
Identifying as socially liberal and fiscally conservative tells the world “I care about people but not enough to see them cared for on a systemic level.”

Old 02-19-2023, 09:17 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Identifying as socially liberal and fiscally conservative tells the world “I care about people but not enough to see them cared for on a systemic level.”
Actually, it means "I care about people, so much so that I will use my own money, time and effort to care for them, instead of demanding that others do so in the name of my virtue signaling. I also care enough about people to leave them alone and be free of my interference into their lives."

Demanding a politician write a systemic law that forces others to act in a manner that you prefer, against their will, is not caring in any way. In fact, it's tyrannical and downright hateful. Meddling in other people's lives as a moral busybody is, paraphrasing CS Lewis, the worst of all tyrannies.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:
I don't think that.
I'm fiscally conservative and able to understand that 'helping' can be beneficial and eve help with the bottom line.

Your simplistic view of being fiscally conservative isn't necessarily fact -- it's how you feel.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:21 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,836,067 times
Quote:
I should have clarified. I absolutely want people to be cared for. I just don't like the pork in so many of the bills that's such a waste of resources. I also don't like all the special interest groups that pull funds away from those who are in need. I'm also personally fiscally conservative. I'm not much a consumer and live fairly frugally.

I've never been a fan of blanket bailouts either because it's usually large corporations and those who don't really need it getting bailed out. Am I for safety nets for the hungry, poor, less fortunate? By all means. But I think everyone who is capable should do their part to help others on a local level.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Actually, it means "I care about people, so much so that I will use my own money, time and effort to care for them, instead of demanding that others do so in the name of my virtue signaling. I also care enough about people to leave them alone and be free of my interference into their lives."

Demanding a politician write a systemic law that forces others to act in a manner that you prefer, against their will, is not caring in any way. In fact, it's tyrannical and downright hateful. Meddling in other people's lives as a moral busybody is, paraphrasing CS Lewis, the worst of all tyrannies.
It could mean that.

It could mean too that sometimes to help the bottom line, you have to give a little to help others so everyone can benefit and the bigger picture is better.

There are a million ways to look at it.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:22 AM

7,416 posts, read 3,564,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

excellent post. there is literally nothing stopping the individual from helping the downtrodden unless government is used to redistribute their wealth so that they can not donate to causes important to them. liberals are typical anti small government.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:22 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,355,885 times
We're called Libertarians, now about 3-5 percent of the electorate depending on the measures used.

We live responsibly, but view sexuality, religious belief and nationalism/patriotism as purely-private matters.

And I stopped wearing a necktie for anything but funerals back in the early Seventies

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-19-2023 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies