Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 11:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

Makes sense because California, Colorado and Washington economically had a massive surge over the last decade.

The nation's king of debt out of the 50 states is Colorado with per-capita Consumer debt of $147,465

Washington is #2 at $144,138 and California is #3 at 143,909 per-consumer

Oklahoma at just over $70,000 and West Virginia at just over $61,000 are the lowest.

Colorado and California are the world leaders where materialism is supreme and a vast majority loves to have a no concessions celebrity lifestyle.

Not a surprise at all, Colorado is a state of massive McMansions, luxury cars and many restaurants charge $20 or more for soup and salad.

Californians have massive household sizes on average, lots of lavish luxury and many of the newer suburbs have absolutely massive houses also.

California's Inland Empire is the most materialistic region in the United States of America I have ever seen.

The Inland Empire is not even that wealthy and yet the vast majority of residents like to emulate celebrity lifestyles with their off-the charts flashiness lifestyle.

I have not been to Oklahoma but it obviously less than half as materialistic as Colorado and California

I have been to West Virginia and it seemed very non-materialistic. Weirton and Wheeling seemed to have mainly well-built 3 bedroom mid-century homes and some older rowhomes and the cars people were driving were good enough to go from one place to another.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...er-debt-study/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 02:08 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Oklahoma at just over $70,000 and West Virginia at just over $61,000 are the lowest.
Yes, they're doing so well. West Virginia is losing population and is #2 in % of population receiving welfare, Oklahoma is 5th. People in those states also have very little to no equity in their homes. It's sad what's happening there but let's not pretend it's something it isn't.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:58 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Because many people. mostly younger people from what I've seen, are living at the limit of their income and inflation has come in and socked us all, to maintain the lifestyle, they have opted to run up debt. You can live on borrowed money for awhile.

I read through the data, and this is not a red state versus blue state thing as much as people having to deal with inflation, which to some degree has been caused by our government and especially Democrats.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:05 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Makes sense because California, Colorado and Washington economically had a massive surge over the last decade.

The nation's king of debt out of the 50 states is Colorado with per-capita Consumer debt of $147,465

Colorado and California are the world leaders where materialism is supreme and a vast majority loves to have a no concessions celebrity lifestyle.

Not a surprise at all, Colorado is a state of massive McMansions, luxury cars and many restaurants charge $20 or more for soup and salad.

Californians have massive household sizes on average, lots of lavish luxury and many of the newer suburbs have absolutely massive houses also.

California's Inland Empire is the most materialistic region in the United States of America I have ever seen.

The Inland Empire is not even that wealthy and yet the vast majority of residents like to emulate celebrity lifestyles with their off-the charts flashiness lifestyle.

I have not been to Oklahoma but it obviously less than half as materialistic as Colorado and California

I have been to West Virginia and it seemed very non-materialistic. Weirton and Wheeling seemed to have mainly well-built 3 bedroom mid-century homes and some older rowhomes and the cars people were driving were good enough to go from one place to another.

Any post that beats up on California gets rep from me. Just an awful place to live thanks to leftist politicians and sky high cost of living.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:04 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:

You keep posting these silly threads. Where homes are more expensive there is more consumer debt. That is all this means. Nothing to do with being materialistic. I live in Oklahoma and grew up in California. The wealthy neighborhoods in OKC and Tulsa have the McMansions and people there are just as materialistic as those in California. They just get a bigger house for the same money. In fact some of them are from California.

Look at net worth per family and the states at the top of consumer debt are at the top of net worth also. And those with the lowest debt how the lowest net worth:

https://www.empower.com/the-currency...worth-by-state

Richest and poorest states. Note that at the top are all blue states and at the bottom all red states.

California
$884,003
Connecticut
$873,746
Washington
$865,309
New Jersey
$810,106
Massachusetts
$787,154
New Hampshire
$735,968
Vermont
$730,730
Virginia
$716,643
Colorado
$711,968
Oklahoma
$448,494
Arkansas
$439,790
Mississippi
$407,691
West Virginia
$376,690
North Dakota
$339,955

Old 03-08-2023, 05:27 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I could buy a home in Oklahoma or West Virginia for what a downpayment on an average home in Colorado, California, or my home state of Massachusetts costs. The cost of living is a problem - I say that as someone who has been trying to position myself to be a first time homebuyer for 5 years - but it's not like mortgages are credit card debt.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:50 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Since the data includes mortgages, it's pretty meaningless. I'd be more interested in the stats on unsecured debt (credit cards), secured debts with depreciating assets as collateral (cars), and secured debt with appreciating collateral (houses).
A mortgage, especially if it carries a low interest rate, is a good thing. Also, spreading mortgage debt across household that rent skews the numbers wildly. It seems like the crafters of the article have an agenda.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Because many people. mostly younger people from what I've seen, are living at the limit of their income and inflation has come in and socked us all, to maintain the lifestyle, they have opted to run up debt. You can live on borrowed money for awhile.

I read through the data, and this is not a red state versus blue state thing
as much as people having to deal with inflation, which to some degree has been caused by our government and especially Democrats.
Agreed. NY state has relatively low consumer debt, while Utah is on the higher end.

There are many factors more important than politics as to why people carry debt. Housing prices are a huge factor.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:06 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
An interesting observation but it's meaningless without knowing incomes. I would expect the blue states (as you call them) with higher incomes would have higher debt. People bought houses that they could afford to make payments on, based on their income.

From your linked article, the average credit scores are listed. California, Colorado and Washington are at 24, 13, and 3 on the list of highest credit scores, so apparently they are able to pay their debts. Compare that to the bottom 5 which are Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi, all with a statewide average credit score in the 600's. Ouch.

Personally, I try to avoid debt, but if I were I would want to be in a state where I can make the most money to pay back the debt. Would not want to be surrounded by people who can't pay their debt.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:23 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yes, they're doing so well. West Virginia is losing population and is #2 in % of population receiving welfare, Oklahoma is 5th. People in those states also have very little to no equity in their homes. It's sad what's happening there but let's not pretend it's something it isn't.
The Feds shut down the coal industry, which is why West Virginia is in tough shape financially...not their fault.

The Feds decided to harm Americans in West Virginia, while China mines & burns more coal than we ever did. So, they are hurting Americans, & helping the Chinese by allowing Americans to buy all the goods the Chinese produce with coal...so, DC says Chinese coal good....West Virginia coal bad.

If you look at public debt, there are 13 Lib states with more state debt-per-capita than West Virginia:

https://www.zippia.com/advice/states-most-least-debt/

So far as Cali, Washington & Colorado residents being deep in debt, I'm glad its them and not me. I've been debt free for years, & will never pay for loan interest again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies