Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 05:43 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,718,437 times

Advertisements

Not a surprise, with its liberal state policies and decent weather that make homelessness worse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...cf3d1281&ei=18

Quote:
Nearly one third of all people who are unhoused in the United States live in the Golden State, according to a new study released Tuesday.

The California Statewide Study of People Experiencing Homelessness also reveals 50% of all unsheltered people in the country – who may or may not have a car to sleep in – live in California. Almost 90% reported that the cost of housing was the main reason they could not escape homelessness.
Evidence Likewise Calls California’s “Housing First” Homelessness Strategy into Question

In addition to the high cost of building housing in a housing supply constrained state, another reported issue inherent to California’s Housing First approach is its strict prohibition of homeless shelters and permanent supportive housing programs that require sobriety. Under state law, a housing program receiving state funding cannot evict a tenant for drug or alcohol use. This is a staple of the Housing First philosophy, but it can negatively affect adults with substance use disorder who are trying to become drug‐​free for various reasons, including so that they can comply with court orders and keep or regain custody of their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 05:46 AM

9,541 posts, read 4,364,397 times
Not surprising. California comprises 12% of the US population and has perfect weather in which to be homeless.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:52 AM

29,568 posts, read 14,714,442 times
Those are rookie numbers, we need to bump those up.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:01 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Not surprising. California comprises 12% of the US population and has perfect weather in which to be homeless.
They also allow you to be homeless. When I was a kid I went to Key West and my idea was to have a care free life and live on the beach. The same day I got there I was told they don't play that game. I wandered up and down Duvall Street for a couple days before I called and asked for a ticket home. The weather is one thing but the tolerance for it is the secret sauce.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:24 AM

116 posts, read 48,489 times
Quote:
Not surprising. California has the second highest unemployment rate and has the second highest cost of housing of all 50 states.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:34 AM

5,992 posts, read 2,249,001 times
What is crazy about homelessness in the US is from every study I have looked at shows about 40% of homeless in the US are working.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:39 AM

1,866 posts, read 936,212 times
Quote:

And city governments that allow people to camp on sidewalks and the sides of streets!

Old 06-22-2023, 06:50 AM

5,992 posts, read 2,249,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanwyck View Post
Not surprising. California has the second highest unemployment rate and has the second highest cost of housing of all 50 states.
The unemployment rate is not the driver considering its 4.5% in California. You are right about the housing cost and unfortunately, we are seeing housing costs go up and up across the US. I use to think this was just an issue in California and NY but now based on what I see in reports across the US, they were just leading the way in what is happening across the US.

It is really expensive out here in markets across the US, almost feels like 2007 in the housing market. Food, rental prices, and transportation are all up and we don't have a subprime mortgage problem to blame it on. If you did not buy a home before 2020 then you are paying a lot for housing right now.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:50 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,648,489 times
Per title - well yeah?

If you are going to live outside 365 days a year, living where the weather is tolerable 365 days a year would make sense. California generally has nice weather all year 'round.

Sure, they have friendly government policies where the homeless lifestyle is concerned, but weather is a HUGE factor in why homeless people flock to CA.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:57 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Per title - well yeah?

If you are going to live outside 365 days a year, living where the weather is tolerable 365 days a year would make sense. California generally has nice weather all year 'round.

Sure, they have friendly government policies where the homeless lifestyle is concerned, but weather is a HUGE factor in why homeless people flock to CA.
You must not have ever been to a place like San Francisco. To say that city has perfect weather 365 days a year would be a lie at best. There are many places with good weather that doesn't have that scale of problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies