Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 11:20 AM

53,364 posts, read 35,054,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From your own article:

The Federal Reserve is not part of the Biden administration.
why was the fed forced to do that?

yup. your favorite vegetable caused the worst inflation in the past 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 11:23 AM

76,968 posts, read 47,836,308 times
Quote:
Average real wealth for middle-class households has dropped MORE THAN $33,000 in the past year
I find that hard to believe considering how much the value if real estate has increased recently, although the more recent increase in mortgage rates has cooled it down some. IN the other hand the stock market has also made

So I guess it depends on what "value of assets held by the middle class" mean?

As for 2024 elections, - its all about economy in any election. Other issues are a sideshow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The bottom line is that Biden, like most national politicians, do not care at all about the middle class. I am not even going to add "in my opinion" to that.
Of course they care. They HAVE TO care, if they want to stay in office. Biden might be an exception, because I don't think he is serious about running again, but why would any politician not want to look good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
St Louis Fed (FRED) has a wealth of information and charts.
The middle class is getting poorer, not richer in wealth.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WFRBSN40188
That shows a steady decline for the past 20 yrs. I dont think it includes housing.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-06-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-06-2023, 11:37 AM

35,842 posts, read 21,236,046 times
Housing is the culprit for most of our woes. But, that it’s not just the USA, so can’t blame greed on Biden. Blackstone and Blackrock and a few more are sinking the middle class. Affordable housing is high because of supply and demand. Yea? So rich folks are not happy with one home they want 10, facts. So where did all these people come from the last 2 yrs that now need housing that they didn’t have before ?? Were they living under a rock? Outer space?
I see more young and the elderly sharing the homes. Whose eating up all the property ?? Aliens? Nah, those that came the last 2 yrs live with others. This is world wide, yet pop growth is down. Where did all the houses go? I do know Fl has a million empty homes right now. Snow birds cause that phenomenon. But it’s world wide. Someone explain to me where the houses went.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:40 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,698,646 times
Neither the Democrats nor Republicans have done very much for the middle class so keep voting for them to your hearts content. In the meantime, I'll try my best to get out of the middle class by making more money.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:40 AM

76,968 posts, read 47,836,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
I work in tech and TONS of companies are laying off. I can't remember a time that it was this bad.
I can remember. Years 2002-2008 was the worst because lot of companies set up shop in India and laid off workers in US

Quote:
Also, buying a house is very difficult nowadays. I used to see for sale signs all over the place in my area. I see very few now.
That means there aren't many houses for sale in your area. We have plenty here in Florida, and prices went through the roof, until now that things have cooled down,

Quote:
The economy is NOT good. Inflation and gas have whittled salaries down, and interest rates are crushing the home buying and capital expenditure markets.
Inflation drives salaries up, not down, but of course price of goods have also gone up, so it it what it is. Fortunately inflation was reduced to 4% after being over 9%

Old 07-06-2023, 11:43 AM

8,125 posts, read 3,991,648 times
Average real wealth for middle-class households has dropped MORE THAN $33,000 in the past year

And Joe's ventriloquists think running on "Bidenomics" is a good idea.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:43 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,698,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Democrats don't seem to understand how punishing this time period has been for our nation's retirees. Or maybe they do. They are always talking about how when the boomers pass, the USA will become a one party nation with the democrats running literally everything... All because republicans aren't willing to "forgive" student loans and hand out reparations for slavery to people who never personally experienced or suffered through slavery.

Why do you want to harm our nation's retirees democrats? Cannot you let people fade into history with dignity? There's no need to hasten the process by making life more difficult than it has to be.
Retirees are not the future. Right now because they have nothing better to do than vote for a future they won't see, they are holding the nation hostage by keeping the government dysfunctional with their votes.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:45 AM

1,774 posts, read 652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Housing is the culprit for most of our woes. But, that it’s not just the USA, so can’t blame greed on Biden. Blackstone and Blackrock and a few more are sinking the middle class. Affordable housing is high because of supply and demand. Yea? So rich folks are not happy with one home they want 10, facts. So where did all these people come from the last 2 yrs that now need housing that they didn’t have before ?? Were they living under a rock? Outer space?
I see more young and the elderly sharing the homes. Whose eating up all the property ?? Aliens? Nah, those that came the last 2 yrs live with others. This is world wide, yet pop growth is down. Where did all the houses go? I do know Fl has a million empty homes right now. Snow birds cause that phenomenon. But it’s world wide. Someone explain to me where the houses went.
Has very little to do with Blackstone or Blackrock. What has driven the price of homes up is the massive migration from the large cities to medium size cities and rural areas. All those from the north, east and west coast could sell their homes and have enough to pay cash for it in places like Florida, Texas, Carolinas, Idaho etc. They have driven up prices for everyone. Even if they way overpaid in those places it was still far cheaper than where they came from, so they didn’t care. So they did it and now everyone else is screwed. Governments should have done something to stop the runaway house prices, but what could they have done? Maybe increase caps? These prices may or may not fall for some time. The exodus out of those areas still sounds like it is happening.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:47 AM

29,974 posts, read 25,104,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Retirees are not the future. Right now because they have nothing better to do than vote for a future they won't see, they are holding the nation hostage by keeping the government dysfunctional with their votes.

What is this supposed to mean? Forget about the retirees? The young have strength and capability to take care of themselves, and their whole lives ahead of them to build wealth. Some choose not to. No one should feel sorry for the younger cohort.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:50 AM

4,921 posts, read 3,385,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
What constitutes "affordable"? Another question- why, in your mind, should homes automatically be "affordable" ?
If the reports are true, working-age men used to be able to buy a home and support a family on one income.

Now it takes a two-income family just to afford the 20% downpayment for a house.

Housing affordability has gone completely backwards.

Homes should be considered shelter, not investments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies