Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 07:41 PM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

The way I look at global warming and climate change is the way I look at most things. The far left who is certain climate change is real and only massive taxes and regulations are needed to save us and we need to get rid of cows. And on the far right its a scam and not real part of that being a push back to crazy ideas like banning cows. I think both sides are missing the mark.

I think the climate is getting hotter and I think humans are at least partially to blame. But I don't want all the stuff the left thinks has to be done. If we can do some things that don't cost that much and don't change our lives much. I can deal with that. If it turns out climate change is not really happening and things start cooling of. Little harm done. So perhaps the left is giving up on all the draconian ideas they have. This idea is white paint. Very white. How it works is explained below. I would like this white paint for some of my properties. Sounds very useful.

Turns out all we may need to stop climate change is 139 billion gallons of super-duper white paint
  • According to one professor, we can stop global warming if we used a new super white paint.
  • The problem though, is we would need to cover at least 1% of the earth's surface with the paint.
  • That won't be easy, especially with all that water everywhere.
Chris Reed: The whitest paint ever made can help respond to the climate emergency. Really.

You bet there is. A program pursuing what scientists call “ground-based albedo modification” (GBAM) — sharply enhancing an area’s ability to reflect the sun’s solar radiation away from its surface — is now completely plausible, according to a July 12 report in The New York Times that didn’t get one-millionth the attention it deserves. It detailed how, after years of research, Xiulin Ruan, a professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue University, had developed the whitest paint in history, capable of safely bouncing 98 percent of the sun’s rays “away from the Earth’s surface, up through the atmosphere and into deep space.” The paint, which is cool to the touch, can reduce the temperature of structural exteriors by as much as 8 degrees at midday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 07:50 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Sounds like just the ticket for roof paint. Or for any surfaces one wants to keep cool in the hot sun. I wonder how long before it gets dirty and doesn't work anymore?

Old 07-24-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Sounds like just the ticket for roof paint. Or for any surfaces one wants to keep cool in the hot sun. I wonder how long before it gets dirty and doesn't work anymore?

I am thinking in places like Phoenix where the sun beats down all the time. An 8 degree decrease would at the very least cut power bills in the summer. And with enough of it could really cool down that entire area.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:58 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Professor obvious got paid to tell us white paint reflects sunlight better than other colors

Old 07-24-2023, 07:59 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
It's only a matter of time before one of the bitter racist harpies (the Obamas, Joy "Can't" Reid, Maxine "Shallow" Waters, AOC, Trans Sec Pete Buttplug, etc) weighs in and says that white paint is racist.

Certainly anyone who has ever touched a black car in the Florida summer knows that color does matter.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
It's only a matter of time before one of the bitter racist harpies (the Obamas, Joy "Can't" Reid, Maxine "Shallow" Waters, AOC, Trans Sec Pete Buttplug, etc) weighs in and says that white paint is racist.

Certainly anyone who has ever touched a black car in the Florida summer knows that color does matter.
Careful! Black cars matter!!!

Old 07-24-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Professor obvious got paid to tell us white paint reflects sunlight better than other colors
You are saying that is not true?

Old 07-24-2023, 08:37 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times
I bought 1 million barrels of black paint because of this. I keep sticking it to the low info libs.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:40 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Hmm. Here's a five-gallon plastic can of outdoor white paint, designed to paint a barn or fence or other outdoor surface.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-5-g...3505/100161821

It's one of the less expensive examples. $108 for 5 gallons. Wonder what further discount Home Depot would give us on 139 billion gallons?

Without any further discount, price for that much paint from our good buddies at Home Depot is slightly more than $3 trillion. I'm sure they can have it ready on the loading dock pretty quickly.

BTW, how long would it take a painter to paint a surface with a gallon of paint? At a standard wage for a painter (union member, of course), how much would you have to pay him per gallon? From other HD ads, it seems that one gallon of paint can cover 350 square feet, give or take. Say, a little less than a 20ft x 20ft surface. Might a pretty good painter take maybe 15 minutes to paint a surface that size? I'm just guessing here. And at what wage? Maybe $30/hr (after several years of Bidenflation) at union scale? Divide A by B, that's $7.50 for applying one gallon of paint?

So, sounds like the paint could cost around $22/gal for the paint, plus $7.50/gal to apply it, total of about $30/gal for materials and labor. Times $139 billion gallons, gives a grand total of $4.1 trillion dollars.

Per coat. Most paint jobs need more then one coat, of course. Especially if they are going to be outdoors in the hot sun and/or freezing snow for, say, the next 20 years. Or 200 years. Double that $4.1T for two coats, triple it for 3 coats, etc.

If it takes (let's be skimpy) 2 coats, that's $8.2 trillion.

Plus, of course, the money we pay the painter for paid breaks, time off, sick leave, vacation etc., during which no painting gets done. He's union, you know.

Call it (in round figures) $10 trillion for a complete two-coat job.

That's nearly double the amount to be spent by the entire Federal government in 2023.
https://about.bgov.com/presidents-bu...lion%20deficit.

BTW, the people who wrote that report, definitely proved that painting that much of the country's surface, would definitely stop global warming, right? Right? So we've got nothing to worry about.

Sounds good to me, eh. What could go wrong?

When do we start?

Old 07-24-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Hmm. Here's a five-gallon plastic can of outdoor white paint, designed to paint a barn or fence or other outdoor surface.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-5-g...3505/100161821

It's one of the less expensive examples. $108 for 5 gallons. Wonder what further discount Home Depot would give us on 139 billion gallons?

Without any further discount, price for that much paint from our good buddies at Home Depot is slightly more than $3 trillion. I'm sure they can have it ready on the loading dock pretty quickly.

BTW, how long would it take a painter to paint a surface with a gallon of paint? At a standard wage for a painter (union member, of course), how much would you have to pay him per gallon? From other HD ads, it seems that one gallon of paint can cover 350 square feet, give or take. Say, a little less than a 20ft x 20ft surface. Might a pretty good painter take maybe 15 minutes to paint a surface that size? I'm just guessing here. And at what wage? Maybe $30/hr (after several years of Bidenflation) at union scale? Divide A by B, that's $7.50 for applying one gallon of paint?

So, sounds like the paint could cost around $22/gal for the paint, plus $7.50/gal to apply it, total of about $30/gal for materials and labor. Times $139 billion gallons, gives a grand total of $4.1 trillion dollars.

Per coat. Most paint jobs need more then one coat, of course. Especially if they are going to be outdoors in the hot sun and/or freezing snow for, say, the next 20 years. Or 200 years. Double that $4.1T for two coats, triple it for 3 coats, etc.

If it takes (let's be skimpy) 2 coats, that's $8.2 trillion.

Plus, of course, the money we pay the painter for paid breaks, time off, sick leave, vacation etc., during which no painting gets done. He's union, you know.

Call it (in round figures) $10 trillion for a complete two-coat job.

That's nearly double the amount to be spent by the entire Federal government in 2023.
https://about.bgov.com/presidents-bu...lion%20deficit.

BTW, the people who wrote that report, definitely proved that painting that much of the country's surface, would definitely stop global warming, right? Right? So we've got nothing to worry about.

Sounds good to me, eh. What could go wrong?

When do we start?

We are talking world not USA. Worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies