Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 07:25 AM

5,999 posts, read 2,810,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Don't smoke, don't drink, exercise,
Sounds like solid advice for surviving Covid! Instead our "experts" advising our government kept the liquor and pot shops open. Then they told us to stay indoors, isolate (leads to drinkin' n druggin') while they closed gyms, hiking trails, beaches, parks, playgrounds.
#science

Those that live a healthy lifestyle were just fine during the pandemic. Those that were sick, obese, didn't take care of their bodies (and old) were likely to have complications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Cigarette/pot smoking and junkfood, a big part of why poor people never get ahead.
This is going to blow the minds of many...but one way to not be poor anymore is to work hard, and yes this might require a second job, which are easy to come by with the gig economy.

The more you work, the less spare time you have to spend it on stupid stuff like bars. Work hard, save money, invest, elevate your financial situation. It's the storyline of rags to riches that is often told by today's successful types.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:39 AM

27,470 posts, read 13,688,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Since I feel certain this will get controversial, I am putting this here. Can't believe tattoos didn't make the list. Maybe Buffett has no idea how expensive they are.

Warren Buffett: 12 things poor people should stop wasting money on to accumulate wealth

https://mintgenie.livemint.com/news/...51691461936865

Frequently visiting bars and pubs
Visiting bars and pubs frequently can add up. For this, Buffett suggests alternatives like home get-togethers that can help one save a significant amount.

Chasing tech
Buffett has a history of sticking to functional rather than flashy tech, says the report. Before buying the latest gadget, one needs to see if the upgrade is really providing added value for the price...
Some good common sense advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo News

Warren Buffett Says Poor People Waste Money On These 12 Things -

* Neglecting Personal Development. ...

* Relying on Credit Cards. ...

* Frequenting Bars and Pubs. ...

* Chasing the Latest Technology. ...

* Overspending on Clothes. ...

* Buying New Cars. ...

* Unused Gym Memberships. ...

* Unnecessary Subscription Services. ...

* Over-Reliance on Skincare Products. ...

* Regular Nights Out. ...

* Gambling. ...

* Smoking. ...

Warren Buffett Says Poor People Waste Money On These 12 Things - Yahoo News (23rd November 2023)

Old 11-26-2023, 07:54 AM

30,320 posts, read 11,952,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Cigarette/pot smoking and junkfood, a big part of why poor people never get ahead.
The poor people I see at the supermarket or people I know of have kids they cannot afford to take care of. So they end up on welfare or low end jobs that don't require a special skill or education because they had to stop going to school to take care of the kids. And they are likely no longer with the guy or guys who knocked them up so those guys are hounded for the next 18 years with child support payments.

My advice would be don't have kids until you have finished college or learned a trade. If you don't have a marketable skill before you start having kids you most likely never will.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:16 AM

22,086 posts, read 9,648,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Any person who has the choice to buy a new high-end car, you're not paying for.
No, I get to pay for their retirement when they haven't saved enough. I get to pay for their healthcare. I get to pay for a host of benefits for them when they don't plan for the future. Are you seriously not able to see this?

Old 11-26-2023, 08:30 AM

14,090 posts, read 5,698,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
This is going to blow the minds of many...but...
Work hard, save money, invest, elevate your financial situation. It's the storyline of rags to riches that is often told by today's successful types.
Any rebuttal to the above common sense will be coming from people attempting to console themselves about their laziness, apathy and degeneracy.

"well not everyone can do blah blah..."

Yes, everyone can, they choose not to.

"well, that would make life no fun at all..."

The topic is accumulating wealth, not having fun.

"ad hominem ad hominem about Warren Buffet, therefore I can dismiss generally sound advice"

Yeah yeah, attack the source speaking common sense, get back to blowing $2k per month on cigarettes, booze and Door Dash delivery fees. Because that will advance your financial status, no problem.

The folks that choose to get ahead financially, do, and the folks who choose not to, don't. It's really that simple, and Buffet just points out a few spots where people light money on fire and suggests that they'd be better off not lighting money on fire. He's right, of course, but people who waste money for no other reason than to simply waste it....they get angry when anyone says anything that makes them speak to their own conscience.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:09 AM

754 posts, read 779,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The government eliminated "assets" for many welfare goodies..medicaid, Obamacare, SNAP, TANF, etc.
It's all based on "taxable income" now.
That was part of the Obamacare bill.
I don't think it's ALL based on taxable income. I just google snap eligibility, it's determine by the state and a lot states still have an asset limit.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Any rebuttal to the above common sense will be coming from people attempting to console themselves about their laziness, apathy and degeneracy.

"well not everyone can do blah blah..."

Yes, everyone can, they choose not to.

"well, that would make life no fun at all..."

The topic is accumulating wealth, not having fun.

"ad hominem ad hominem about Warren Buffet, therefore I can dismiss generally sound advice"

Yeah yeah, attack the source speaking common sense, get back to blowing $2k per month on cigarettes, booze and Door Dash delivery fees. Because that will advance your financial status, no problem.

The folks that choose to get ahead financially, do, and the folks who choose not to, don't. It's really that simple, and Buffet just points out a few spots where people light money on fire and suggests that they'd be better off not lighting money on fire. He's right, of course, but people who waste money for no other reason than to simply waste it....they get angry when anyone says anything that makes them speak to their own conscience.
Great post. 100% agree.

I'll also add that many people love to play the victim card and in today's Clown World, we enable Victimology for political gain.

"The reason I am poor/struggling is because somebody did something to me." Hello, equity.

It might be something that happened to somebody else...centuries ago...and that's why they buy booze, weed, cigs, uber, doordash and can't pay their student loans back today! Or it might be because of the Weather (Climate Alarmists love this one).

Old 11-26-2023, 09:38 AM

14,090 posts, read 5,698,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Great post. 100% agree.

I'll also add that many people love to play the victim card and in today's Clown World, we enable Victimology for political gain.

"The reason I am poor/struggling is because somebody did something to me." Hello, equity.

It might be something that happened to somebody else...centuries ago...and that's why they buy booze, weed, cigs, uber, doordash and can't pay their student loans back today! Or it might be because of the Weather (Climate Alarmists love this one).
My wife was just talking about this. People on social media spend almost all their time complaining about X and blaming Y for it, when virtually all their problems would be solved with a job, some common sense, and at least one person in their life telling them to quit being a knucklehead.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:47 AM

43,533 posts, read 18,601,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
I don't think it's ALL based on taxable income. I just google snap eligibility, it's determine by the state and a lot states still have an asset limit.
Obamacare only covers Federal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies