Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 05:20 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

Ron DeSantis was in SC pushing for the state to join Florida in calling for a Constitional Convention.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...l-term-limits/

The amendment topics are:

-Congressional term limits

-Balanced budget amendment

-Line item veto of spending bills for Presidents

-Lawmakers being exempted from laws they pass (like Obamacare)

It's nice to know States are still pressing for this long overdue Convention.

I see this gaining steam as our federal debt interest payments swell beyond control. We now spend more on interest than on national defense. Soon, interest payments will threaten entitlements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 05:56 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
It will never work unless the left gets something like an abortion amendment and 2nd amendment modification.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 02-26-2024, 06:14 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It will never work unless the left gets something like an abortion amendment and 2nd amendment modification.
They said Trump could never become President too...but he did.

I think the Republican states could get to the magic number of 34, during this Conservative/Populist wave.

19 States voted yes, & if you look at the list of States considering it, if they joined in, it would be 39. Back out the Blue states from the 39, & it's tight:

https://conventionofstates.com/state...-v-application

Americans have not felt the repercussions of the interest on the debt exploding yet...wait until that tidal wave reaches shore. We now spend more in interest than on national defense. Soon, it will hit entitlements. When it hits seniors pocketbooks, this could happen.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:30 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,602,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ron DeSantis was in SC pushing for the state to join Florida in calling for a Constitional Convention.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...l-term-limits/

The amendment topics are:

-Congressional term limits

-Balanced budget amendment

-Line item veto of spending bills for Presidents

-Lawmakers being exempted from laws they pass (like Obamacare)

It's nice to know States are still pressing for this long overdue Convention.

I see this gaining steam as our federal debt interest payments swell beyond control. We now spend more on interest than on national defense. Soon, interest payments will threaten entitlements.
You folks know that a Constitutional Convention cannot change the Constitution, don't you?

Old 02-26-2024, 06:33 PM

7,911 posts, read 3,456,890 times
We would never get out of a convention like that with the 2nd amendment in tact.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:35 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
The 2nd Amendment is non negotiable.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:40 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
I’d support those except the presidential line item veto. I agree with the Clinton vs City of New York Supreme Court ruling that it violates the separation of powers and gives a president too much power.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:47 PM

5,328 posts, read 3,210,678 times
I could get behind everything but the presidential line item veto.

I like it in principle, but think in practice it's a no-go. You lose any chance at negotiating with a divided legislative and executive branch.

Edited to add...it's a shame DeSantis didn't put his weight behind something like this 2 years ago, rather than trying to be the anti-woke crusader. I think we'd have a different person leading the Republican ticket.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:53 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Edited to add...it's a shame DeSantis didn't put his weight behind something like this 2 years ago, rather than trying to be the anti-woke crusader. I think we'd have a different person leading the Republican ticket.
Absolutely. Could even transform the Republican Party into something I could vote for again.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:01 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
You folks know that a Constitutional Convention cannot change the Constitution, don't you?
No, we don't know that. I'd like to see a Constitutional Convention completely toss the current American Constitution, and start from scratch. Replace the presidential system with a parliamentary system. Instead of a president, there would be a prime minister. De-federalize the country, turning it into a unitary republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies