Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:14 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Saturday night in Indianapolis. 7 wounded, all between 12 and 17. The mall actually closes at 7pm, and the shootings took place as approx 11:30 pm. This is newsworthy because of the ages of the wounded. Other than that, it's just another day in America.

Do you know where your 12 year old is at that hour?

https://www.aol.com/news/least-7-sho...140953309.html
Shouldn't surprise anyone.

"In the last Presidential election, Marion county remained overwhelmingly Democratic, 63.3% to 34.3%.
Marion county voted Democratic in the last five Presidential elections"

You get what you vote for!

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2024 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 06:34 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
If it's a red state what color is the city in the red state raising the murder stats?
Tough question because finding a real city that is GOP lead is a tough one, they seem to prefer leading upscale suburbs that have incorporated as a city. But as I already posted OK City is always a good one for crime as was Jacksonville who was GOP lead prior to this year.

Murders don't just happen in cities as the statistics show and most of the top 10 states are all red ones.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Crying ? Hardly. Just getting sick of seeing these incidents happening, with the same excuses and finger pointing from the left, while they continue to ignore where the real issues are.
The real issue is poverty something those on the right don't want to acknowledge or address to try and reduce it. Just as we've seen in recent months where one red states have turned down Federal Money to provide summer meals for those in need along with other money to improve roadways.

So who's ignoring the real issues those that are trying to work with what's available or those that just want to paint it as a racial thing and wash their hands of it?

Old 04-02-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"Blue!"

"No, Red!"

"No, Blue!"

"No, Red!"

That gets really old, really fast.

Policy has something to do with crime but poverty is the strongest indicator, by far.

Go find the list of "states with the highest murder rates" and then find the list of states with the lowest per-capita income and compare them.
You get no argument from me on that....

Old 04-02-2024, 06:51 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Deflect all I want? Its those on the right crying its not us at the drop of a hat even though the few city examples you can find where they are the Mayor has the same issues. And yet the states with the highest murder rates are all red ones, go figure.....
Quote:
"Blue!"

"No, Red!"

"No, Blue!"

"No, Red!"

Policy has something to do with crime but poverty is the strongest indicator, by far.

Go find the list of "states with the highest murder rates" and then find the list of states with the lowest per-capita income and compare them.
Some examples. I live in blue state MI. Looking through these maps, you can see if the area is "blue or red", the amount of crime, and how impoverished they are. For the most part, it's clear to see where the majority, not all, crime is concentrated...and they just happen to be in blue areas. Not saying there isn't crime in other parts of the state, just the highest amount, and while they are low income, they aren't the lowest.

voting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_U...on_in_Michigan

crime:
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-michigan/

income level:
https://bestneighborhood.org/household-income-michigan/

Policy, politics, and poverty level all are factors it seems.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:59 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Crime/poverty? Chicken/egg. Which comes first?

Correlation is not causation. Stats 101, day 1, page 1.

Moving on.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:03 AM

35,067 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
"Blue!"

"No, Red!"

"No, Blue!"

"No, Red!"

The downtown area of Indy is quite wealthy.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:06 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Deflect all I want? Its those on the right crying its not us at the drop of a hat even though the few city examples you can find where they are the Mayor has the same issues. And yet the states with the highest murder rates are all red ones, go figure.....
The red vs. blue state stuff is abused by both parties and is statistically invalid.

I've explained it many times on this forum, but people are set in their ways.

For the purposes of this thread, I have provided the policy changes and initiatives Indy is using and we don't need to compare Indy to anyone other than Indy.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:11 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
The real issue is poverty something those on the right don't want to acknowledge or address to try and reduce it. Just as we've seen in recent months where one red states have turned down Federal Money to provide summer meals for those in need along with other money to improve roadways.

So who's ignoring the real issues those that are trying to work with what's available or those that just want to paint it as a racial thing and wash their hands of it?
That is quite the wide brush you're using. Education and poverty are definitely drivers, I won't argue that. The problem I have, is throwing good money after bad. Again, i'll use my state as an example, because I live here. I've brought it up before, I've seen 100's of millions of dollars being throw into the city of Detroit, by our Federal and State governments, along with private entities for decades, and yet we still see these issues. The Detroit public school system spends more money per student, than is spent in the most affluent school district in the state, and has the worst results.

So, maybe I'm the only one that thinks we should be seeing results for all the moneys spent in this city, so I have a hard time just wanting to throw more money at it. Also, since you brought up race. If we truly wanted to lift people out of poverty, why is most of the attention and money spent in the minority areas, especially since they aren't even the areas with the lowest poverty ? Many of those areas in the rural red areas ? I don't expect you to answer those, since your not in this state. I just brought them up because those things are how I base my opinions. The way I see it, is many of these programs that are intended to help the impoverished, from the Democratic party, seem to focus on minorities, and not all the impoverished. If they want to help the poor then do so, lift everyone up, not just minorities. If it wasn't for race to focus on, the democrats wouldn't have anything.

And yeah, for the most part, the GOP is great at calling out issues, and while they do offer solutions, they infight about other issues that shouldn't even matter, and never get anything done.

The uni party definitely needs to be broken, or we will just keeping having more of the same.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:28 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

The problem is that we have general agreement that poverty plays a big role.

We realize that Covid related economic issues exacerbated some of this.

Most people realize that social justice criminal reforms were a mixed bag of success as we have seen some of the policies reversed around the country (But lets acknowledge that some were good at the same time.)

So when this happens most places, what get's blamed? Guns

Since we know the issue is largely poverty and can clearly see the nice areas have far fewer shootings it kinda exposes that as a cheap convenient scapegoat.

A lot of areas with serious problems like this really don't want to tackle the problem because it largely impacts people with no real economic or political power. They can just blame guns, hold a march or two and pay off a civil rights leader to give them absolution. (This is what Mayor Daley did when I lived in Chicago).

IMO that's the crux of the situation, nobody is being too serious about addressing root causes.

P.S. I'd like to see laws passed so that we can federally charge gang members recruiting kids as young as 11 or 12 to commit shootings etc. under something like child trafficking laws and give them life in prison. Combine that with some diversion programs where the kids can learn skills and earn a little money and engage with grass root groups.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-02-2024 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies