Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 17,760 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For those who have moved to a red area that are moderate politically (actually depends on the issues) and not religious in the stuctured sense of going to church, how hard has it been for you to make friends? Did you have to keep your beliefs to yourself to be accepted?

Old 04-07-2024, 01:54 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
It's funny the preconceptions people have.

Los Angeles native living in the heart of the Bible Belt. Just be yourself and don't assume that you're better than anyone else. People are people. Doesn't matter where they live. Honesty and humility are the key to forming strong social bonds.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:59 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I am in a deeply "red" area politically but fit the more moderate profile politically myself. Although in the US a "moderate" by world standards would be center-right in the US. I consider myself to be a moderate by world standards but center-left by US standards for the most part.

I don't go espousing my political views everywhere I go, but I personally haven't found it hard to make friends because I believe that I treat people with respect, and for the most part am treated accordingly.

But I really don't agree with people in my area and their prevailing political beliefs, and that also makes me feel underrepresented with elected state leadership not representing what I believe is the best interests of all the people in their district (who are taxed just like their bases), not just those they agree with.

So I find there's somewhat of a disconnect between how people generally act and the mystery of why did they vote for someone who stands for what I believe are such awful things. That's not always as apparent online though, where people tend to be pretty nasty if you have a different opinion and only seeing someone's username and text tends to cause people to view others with only one dimension.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-07-2024 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2024, 02:00 PM

4,846 posts, read 2,665,246 times
we don't want you here..get out of here..you're not one of us..you and your family are a bunch of sickos and are gonna burn in hell..

lol..just kidding..peeps are peeps no matter what 'color' you live in..

Old 04-07-2024, 02:03 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khere View Post
Hi,

For those who have moved to a red area that are moderate politically (actually depends on the issues) and not religious in the stuctured sense of going to church, how hard has it been for you to make friends? Did you have to keep your beliefs to yourself to be accepted?
FWIW --

I moved to what I thought was a 50/50 mix, but it turned out to be about 95% blue in the northern half of the county where I moved, and 95% red in only the southern part. I found out soon after moving here that I did have to keep my mouth shut with my neighbors when it came to expressing my opinions about politics and social issues. Btw, my very liberal neighbors speak very disparagingly of anyone who is not liberal, and at least one of my neighbors scornfully refers to those who live in the southern half as "farmers", which I dislike very much. (Makes me wonder where she thinks her food comes from.)

And, also, because I am an agnostic and don't go to church, it has been VERY difficult for me to make friends, but that's okay because my husband and I are introverts. If that was not the case, I am sure that we would not be nearly as happy here, but it is so gorgeous here that the beauty of it makes up for a lot of what we might be missing in the way of friends. However, all that being said, we are friendly with all of our neighbors, but we are not "close" to any of them.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-07-2024 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-07-2024, 02:07 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I'm red in a red state.
My best friend is Blue. One daughter is; her husband is; son is. The other daughter is Red.
I don't go to church. Usually, don't even vote. I have a gun... somewhere; I don't carry it around.

It's funny the perceptions people have. "ALL of Mississippi must be Red; ALL of Mississippi must be poor".
I don't think the OP has been around much.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:07 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
I don't think most people really care about other peoples' political, religious, social, etc choices. IMO, the problems start when those choices are "peacocked" (broadcast as if it some grand state of being and flaunted at every opportunity) or an attempt is made to force those choices on everyone else. That's when things become problematic.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:16 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't think most people really care about other peoples' political, religious, social, etc choices. IMO, the problems start when those choices are "peacocked" (broadcast as if it some grand state of being and flaunted at every opportunity) or an attempt is made to force those choices on everyone else. That's when things become problematic.
Yep to the bold. It is actually pretty funny here because it is, literally, 95% white and mostly affluent where I live, but during the peak 2020 election cycle and for a year or two afterwards, it was amazing how many BLM and pride flags, Biden banners, and "Hate Has No Home Here" signs were posted in our spread-out rural community of fewer than 500 people. I mean, who were they trying to impress?

Anyway, I knew what virtue signaling was long before it became a common term.

As far as most people not caring what other people think about others' views and choices -- well, when I lived in a middle-class suburb comprised of mostly families with two working parents, I would have agreed with you, but maybe it is different in more affluent communities filled with seniors. I don't know enough to make generalizations about that, though. I do know that I personally didn't care much about politics between the ages of about 20 and 65, as I had too much else going on in my life (even though I certainly had opinions and voted in every election).

Last edited by katharsis; 04-07-2024 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-07-2024, 02:17 PM

1,192 posts, read 615,484 times
What really counts is your vote (as long as it's not mail-in voting but in person) no matter where you live.

If you feel uncomfortable talking to people about your beliefs, then don't. I live in a mostly blue state and overhear people talking about how much they miss Trump so then I get involved in the conversation. I would never push my beliefs on others as I respect what others believe (even if I don't agree with them) and hope they respect mine.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:26 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
I have lived in a red state and a blue state. Red state people don't talk much about politics, but blue state people incorporate it into everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies