Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Recycle and What Political Way Do You Favor?
Democrat leaning, Recycle. 20 38.46%
Democrat leaning, Don't Recycle. 2 3.85%
Republican leaning, Recycle 27 51.92%
Republican leaning, Don't Recycle. 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times

Advertisements

We started recycling when we realized we had more beer cans in the trash than actual trash. That big yellow bin that the county gave us for recycling really changed our lives. We spend much less time emptying the kitchen trash can now.

Kidding aside, back when I really decided to diligently separate my trash (mostly just cans, bottles, and cardboard) for recycling, I had no interest whatsoever in politics. I don't think my political leanings have any bearing on my trash habits (although I am more interested in politics now and I really need a little drama now and then to keep me entertained).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

45,419 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Some do and some don't.

What I've noticed where I live is that most of them have some things in common whether they do or not:
They think everyone should have the same style and color recycling bin paid for by taxpayers.
They all tell you how you're saving the Earth.
They do go around and check people's recycling bins (I caught someone last week going through my bin that had been set out for pick up).
Most use their Town supplied recycling bin for household trash even though the bins are clearly marked "Recyclables Only".
They will berate anyone who they think isn't recycling.
Many seem to have a **** ton of household trash. I mean like three or four cans (sometimes more) every time out for the twice a week pick up.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

50,323 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have been recycling for decades and I have leaned Right my entire life.

What is funny is recently a Liberal friend asked me to take him to our local transfer station to show him how it works. Up to this point he has been using a private trash service and just throwing everything into one barrel. He even throws his aluminum coke cans into the trash that he has already paid 5 cents a piece to the state when he bought them because he can't be bothered to fill a bag and return them to get his money back.

At the town transfer station we have recycling for cardboard/paper, plastic, tin, glass with special bins for appliances. We pay $2 for a big bag to toss everything else in. He is a hard core Dem but he asked if he could just throw everything into the bags and skip the recycling. Yes you can do that but why? I guess he is just lazy but that has been my experience with so many Democrats. They seem to take the easy way out for themselves while demanding that others do more...
They tell us that WE need to save the planet but when it comes right down to it they want other people to do it.
In summary my sister. Drives a Tesla can't be bothered saving CRV cans. Gives me crap about driving a F350.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

1,144 posts, read 403,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some do and some don't.

What I've noticed where I live is that most of them have some things in common whether they do or not:
They think everyone should have the same style and color recycling bin paid for by taxpayers.
They do go around and check people's recycling bins (I caught someone last week going through my bin that had been set out for pick up).
Most use their Town supplied recycling bin for household trash even though the bins are clearly marked "Recyclables Only".
Many seem to have a **** ton of household trash. I mean like three or four cans (sometimes more) every time out for the twice a week pick up.
City doesn't get to tell me how to live my life. They can berate me all they want, it will go in one ear and out of the other. Depending how i am feeling that day, I might let them know what i think about their opinion.

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

25,747 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Some do and some don't.

Those people are very likely running businesses out of their home's, or work from home in a job that creates a lot of waste. My best friend was in medical sales, & he repped 12 lines, & they were all constantly sending him sales materials, demo units, samples, & more samples. Most of it wound up in his dumpster at his condo complex. He generated lots of trash. His complex didn't recycle (Palm Beach County FLA..mostly Dems..used to be Wasserman-Schultz's District).

Recycling in condo's and apartments is problematic.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

50,323 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Some do and some don't.

We have people going through ours each week, they are called tweekers. The left coast homeless problem.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

4,393 posts, read 1,702,448 times
I’m kind of surprised that no one here seems to recycle for the money.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have people going through ours each week, they are called tweekers. The left coast homeless problem.
Not tweakers here, the very, very upper strata of local society. At least that's what they say.

You know, the type who moved here from the close in suburbs and who almost all immediately say, "We love this little town but this has to change so we can be happy here". Then start complaining that the "wrong people" use the (paid to get on) beach and that long time residents "don't deserve to live here".

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

1,144 posts, read 403,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I’m kind of surprised that no one here seems to recycle for the money.
If you're talking about rcv, it's not worth it.

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
If you're talking about rcv, it's not worth it.
That's true. Scrap prices had the bottom fall out and even used oil is a loser.

My County, which is the lead agent for recycling, has always paid to have it taken away. Part of that is because they really screwed up the rollout a couple decades ago and has never recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies