Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by chielgirl:
Wow, another self-proclaimed christian bashing gays thread.
Isn't this your second negative topic against others thread today?
Who would your god of love hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The OP didn't mention God or religion period while you immediately start bashing Christians. That proves what I've known all along, you hate Christians.
bchris,
I don’t hate xians. How many times do I have to state it.
I only know he’s an xian because he proclaims himself to be in other theads. A statement does not equal hatred. It might be different for you, but not for me.
I find it ironic that self-proclaimed xians bring up topics that will bash others; especially since this right after this he started Many illegals racist towards black Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
My point is other then what you do with and who you do with your genitalia is the only thing that separates gays from straights.
Not true... being gay (GLBTQ etc) is much more than "what you do with your genitalia," especially considering there are gay virgins/celibates. It's a huge part of their identity, from where they hang out, who they are friends with, experiences they've had, and so forth. Just like being a part of any other oppressed or "outside of the norm" group, it defines them as a person - and doesn't just describe their sex lives.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Like I said, what two people do in their own homes is none of my business. And it should remain none of my business. Just like I don't tell people who aren't my friends about my private life, I don't want to hear about theirs.
With friends it's a different story though. But then your friends are going to be people who have similar views and interests anyway, so there is no issue there.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have friends with a wide variety of beliefs and interests... we usually have something in common, or it's unlikely we'd be friends, but we aren't clones of each other. About half of my friends are gay/bi, and I do occasionally hear about their private lives - I don't mind that in moderation, which is exactly how I feel about hearing my straight friend's stories. Do you have any gay friends, fp?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Although this issue is important to people who are gay it is not the top issue facing our nation. I resent the fact that my Connecticut legislators spent nearly an entire session continuously arguing about gay marriage, trying to attach it to important bills, and making it a prominent issue.

Meanwhile, we have other issues such as rising food and energy costs, raising the minimum wage (for or against), balancing the budget, making Connecticut more attractive for job growth, reducing the tax burden on our residents, serious problems of poverty and crime in our larger cities, mass losses of our younger people, educational problems, some of the highest gas and electric rates in the country, crumbling infrastructure, etc., that need to be addressed now.

All people should be treated decently. That does not require a change in our laws it requires a change in attitude. However, that does not mean that Americans want any one group's culture pushed down their throats. I don't want a politically-motivated correctness forced into the schools and attached to public policy.

There is an equally annoying intolerance for the opinion of others who strongly disapprove of people having children out of wedlock, are against abortion, believe that marriage is sacred bond, feel that religious people's rights are being eroded, etc.

If we don't address structural and economic issues it will hurt all Americans.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:18 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

bchris,
I only know he’s an xian because he proclaims himself to be in other theads. A statement does not equal hatred. It might be different for you, but not for me.
I find it ironic that self-proclaimed xians bring up topics that will bash others; especially since this right after this he started Many illegals racist towards black Americans.
WTF is an Xian?
Whats ironic is most of you guys that champion one group over another dont hesitate to degrade or insult a group you dont care about. You may not hate Christians but you blame them every chance you get & certainly bash them as a whole because you disagree with individuals.
Kinda the pot calling the kettle black no?

Old 06-08-2008, 07:06 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
I believe where everyone is hung up is that most of you tend to see homosexuality as a life-choice. Our discussion isn't likely to continue based on that.

Exercise #1: Change the word 'homosexual' to 'African American' Would you be proud of the same statements if you believed it to be along the same biological/genetic lines?

Now re-read all of your posts. Many rational beings contend that homosexuality is genetic -- and we can deem it a flaw, that's fine -- however, it is what it is.

The real question is, do we believe there are varying degrees of homosexuality (which I think qualitatively answers the question of bisexuality) -- many of you probably need to ask yourself very important questions because many are coming off in a manner which sounds very uneducated to the educated.

Not trying to bash you guys, but open your minds.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:18 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

bchris,
I don't worship Malcolm X, Christ is my Lord and Savior. Can you even write Christ? It's really creepy that you can't even type his name. Gizmo, Read my op. When you write things like, "they" you label and stereotype. Again, there are gays who like sports, gays who hate sports, conservative gays, liberal gays, masculine gay men, feminine gay men. There is no "they". That's like calling all guys named Fred, "they" and calling them Fred-Americans. Other then all being Fred they're just like us. Conversely, other then doing things with their genitalia that are different then most of society, gays are exactly like everyone else. Puddy, norms is short for normative behavior. Being black isn't a behavior it's a master status. Personally, I think the term black American, or AA is just as dumb as Gay American. We're all just Americans.

PS. Chiel, I didn't write the other thread, it's a forward. Stop being so angry all of the time.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:56 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Sex and orientation are also master statuses. And along with race, they're also biological/genetic. So, go back to my original question and tell me how it's any different?

P.S. I know plenty of very exuberant homosexuals and NEVER heard anyone say Gay-American (though I'm sure some have/do). So I don't concede a whole lot credibility to these posts to begin with. I think you guys may be arguing with yourself.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 06-08-2008 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
What is a Gay-American ? Thats a tough one, an American thats Gay, I would think that covers it pretty well, their definatly not a seperate race.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not true... being gay (GLBTQ etc) is much more than "what you do with your genitalia," especially considering there are gay virgins/celibates. It's a huge part of their identity, from where they hang out, who they are friends with, experiences they've had, and so forth. Just like being a part of any other oppressed or "outside of the norm" group, it defines them as a person - and doesn't just describe their sex lives.
This is rediculous. The clique you belong to and who your friends are doesn't warrant a separate status as is given to race. Bikers are defined by their passion for motorcycles, have a rough appearance, and are friends with other bikers, are they their own race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies