Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
But to drill into white kids heads that their culture is bland, boring and oppressive whereas Jamaica is so freakin awesome is wrong.

Sorry, but my culture is anything but boring.
I'm sorry but I believe you may be paranoid. I've never heard anyone call European culture 'boring.' In fact, white children everywhere in American high schools and introductory college history courses are SLAMMED with European History to 1877 and European 1877 to Present followed by its U.S. history counterpart. When a history major completes his degree, he typically may only take 9 hours of foreign historical and culture studies to achieve his degree meanwhile they receive 23 hours in Western historical studies and culture.

As well the student must tackle 14 hours of a foreign language: topping the list is always French, Spanish, and German.

The lesser of the languages: Arabic, Japanese, and Chinese are far less taken.

I can't agree. We're not losing our culture or our past and no one is claiming it's boring, UNLESS, it's in response to it being JAMMED down our throats.

If you ask me, children in this country know far less about other cultures than is necessary. I think you're extremely paranoid.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
No, I'm saying that your posts make me think that you're an out and out racist.
Do not put words into my mouth, I can speak quite well for myself.
I choose not to live in a world of hatred and fear. So sad that you choose to live in one.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 AM

208 posts, read 412,241 times
To Puddy4LyF,

I see you live in Ohio.

Not nearly as diverse as my area.

White kids are a minority here where I live.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM

To Chielgirl,

So you're saying any white person who has white kids and wants their kids to feel good about themselves is racist? That's what my argument boils down to.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
To Chielgirl,

So you're saying any white person who has white kids and wants their kids to feel good about themselves is racist? That's what my argument boils down to.

I would hope feeling good about yourself has nothing to do with your colour/race/ethnicity but how loved you are ,healthy,happy, what stake you have in society and whether you give and receive respect.
I want ALL kids ( and adults ) to feel good about themselves and though I agree that one's own culture is paramount for a sense of belonging, I'm afraid I also believe that without an appreciation of other cultures, arts, literature etc.. we are nothing but diminished human beings. Left in the dark.

I see nothing wrong with teaching kids the glory of the Renaissance or the age of enlightenment AND the glory of other civilisations whether they be Islamic, Hindu, African, Meso-American, Pre Columbian etc... Why does it have to be an "or" rather than an "and ?

We should celebrate our differences and embrace them, not rejecting our shared humanity as if one was "better" .

Humans have evolved over millions of years and we have all learnt to deal with our own environment and particular challenges in our own idiosyncratic ways. We should be proud to be humans perhaps but I never got the proud of your race thing.

Race is nothing more than a cultural diversion to allow us legitimacy for our own stupid prejudices. We fear what we do not understand and do not understand what we never try to .

I believe being a human being is about acquiring and seeking knowledge and self realisation of our potential.

How this can be achieved by divisive dogma is beyond me ?

I am not "proud" of being white . I am proud of some of my race's achievements but as a human being my prime consideration is to accept that ALL races/ethnicities/colours have contributed to the evolution of our species in ways most people never seem to truly appreciate.

I was born white because my parents were white. I do not believe my value as a human being or cultural supremacy would be different had my parents been black or orange with purple spots.

Until we learn to deal with each other with true respect and a true wish for genuine understanding of the "other" we will be nothing more than warring tribes.

And that to me is nothing short of idiotic as well as dangerous and self destructive.

Multiculturalism does not mean the annihilation of a particular race or culture, it means a general an exposure to and respect for ALL and an understanding that ALL human beings belong to the same specie. Putting labels on people is really not helpful.

We all have prejudices and all have our intolerant ways, that is just human nature, but being part of humanity is to me far more important than trying to decide whose history is richer or whose achievements are the "best".

I look at the immense contributions by immigrants/people from various races and I see something greater than my own little "islander" mentality. We all contribute. We all have something to offer. To reject most of mankind on race grounds is just silly.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
All parents should want their kids to feel good about themselves. This transcends color. White, black, brown, saffron or any other color has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I could not disagree with you more. This is not a racist thread. The white race could be extinct in the not too distant future. Whites make up approximatly 12 percent of the total world population now. Because whites are more likely to have have smaller familys whites are expected to be approximatly 3 percent of the worlds population in 100 years.

You do not see whites immigrating to non white countrys like non whites immigrate to white countrys. I don't think it racist to want to see the white race avoid extinction.

I'm white, and I could care less if there are no white people on this planet in 100 years or whatever. What difference does it make? Actually, I wish I had more pigment in my skin to protect me from sun damage. Maybe there's an evolutionary reason why white people are becoming extinct.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 AM

To Mooseketer,

I see that you live in Witney England.

I live in an area where white kids are the minority and will become an even smaller number. While you and I may like to think we could all be color blind and see each other as humans, it doesn't play out that way in the real world. For example:

In the US, every ethnic group minus whites has literally hundreds of political, business legal and social action groups fighting for their interests. Those white American corporations donate millions to these people and build cultural centers for them. White politicians earmark millions in special grants and loans for them.

Joe White in America doesn't get any of that.

I live near one of the absolute most diverse cities in the US and is it a happy utopia? No it's full of cop killers, thugs, rapists, murders, gang bangers, members of third world paramilitary units, etc. Very dangerous. You feel like you're in a foreign country and being one of the few white people around you get lots of hateful glares and "I'm going to fight you" looks.

People who live in some quaint English village or the country side or in some mostly white area have no idea what this is like.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 AM

To Denverian,

That sounds like you have white guilt.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM

To Mooseketeer:

You said:

Race is nothing more than a cultural diversion to allow us legitimacy for our own stupid prejudices. We fear what we do not understand and do not understand what we never try to .

Do you realize that we are all biologically different?

Various ethnic groups react differently to diseases.
Our facial features and builds have some differences.
Our IQ's have some differences.

Did you know that there are actually weapons built by Israel and China that can target people of only a certain race? They are DNA based weapons systems. Look it up.

If we're all the same then why doesn't the whole world have the same culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies