Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times

Advertisements

It was a nation founded on Judeo-Christian principles and remained so for much of its history following Plymouth Rock. However, in the past 20 or so years things have changed and America is now post-Christian, trailing Europe. We are moving closer and closer to a secular progressive, majority atheist nation with each passing year.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Finn, judhing by your OP, I think it's reasonable to conclude that the original intent of the Founding Fathers was a religiously impartial federal government, but states can choose to recognize religion. Why else would the US Constitution not include God directly, but every other state constitution does?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
And the US constitution prohibits the establishment of religion and has a supremacy clause so no its not.
Prohibits estanlishment of religion? The 1st Amendment talks only about what the Federal Government, the Congress, can and cannot do in regards to religion. They wanted to leave it up to the States to be in charge of such things, and as you can see from the State Constitutions they ALL mention God.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Prohibits estanlishment of religion? The 1st Amendment talks only about what the Federal Government, the Congress, can and cannot do in regards to religion. They wanted to leave it up to the States to be in charge of such things, and as you can see from the State Constitutions they ALL mention God.
The first amendment has been incorporated via the 14th amendment. So no you are wrong.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Not really. We have a bunch of devil's angels pretending to be Christians and the government is run by the devil's army (also disguised as Christians).
Speak for yourself brother.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
That is a can of worms I would be careful about opening. While that interpretation of the First Amendment may open up some states to allow more open displays of religion, it could allow other states to further restrict it.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It was a nation founded on Judeo-Christian principles and remained so for much of its history following Plymouth Rock. However, in the past 20 or so years things have changed and America is now post-Christian, trailing Europe. We are moving closer and closer to a secular progressive, majority atheist nation with each passing year.
See, this is what cracks me up. Religious folks talking about "Christian-Judaic" principles and bemoaning the fact that the country is moving beyond it ... I can remember when the same people claimed the US was founded on Christian values and absolutely loathed Jews. Guess what, kids -- YOU have moved, too. That's just how it works. Get over it.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
See, this is what cracks me up. Religious folks talking about "Christian-Judaic" principles and bemoaning the fact that the country is moving beyond it ... I can remember when the same people claimed the US was founded on Christian values and absolutely loathed Jews. Guess what, kids -- YOU have moved, too. That's just how it works. Get over it.
Judeo-Christian is a relatively new term with the intent of being more politically correct. You are right, the nation was founded on Christian values and is now moving away from them.

I don't think Jews were very well respected in early America except maybe in areas with high Jewish populations like New York City.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
...based on your argument you could just as easily say its a Jewish or Islamic country, since there is no mention of Christ specifically.
Like I said, the early Constitutions singles out Christianity, and many mentioned the word "protestant Christian".

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
The State Constitutions were drafted by American people, and they all mention God, and if you read the original Constitutions of the 13 original colonies, their Constitutions promoted Christianity directly, and in many cases the very same men who drafted the State Constitutions also drafted the US Constitution, and they do NOT contradict each other. Some of those early Constitutions demanded that any person who ran for State Congress had to be a Christian person. That's how seriously they took their faith.
Yet, they did not include any mention of the Christian god in the US Constitution, so I'd say that it is pretty clear that it IS NOT a Christian nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies