Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
No to all of the above. I enjoy Chris Matthews, but not in a position such as moderator of Meet the Press, Tim Russert never let his personality overpower the interview, and I think that would be very difficult for Chris Matthews to accomplish.

David Gregory and Andrea Mitchell don't have very good presence, they seem better suited for covering stories rather than asking questions and conducting interviews.

And I can't imagine that Keith Olberman would be mentioned, I don't have a problem with his program, but it is obviously very much influenced by his own opinions, that is not what Meet the Press is about.

I like Gwen Ifill, I wonder if she would be willing to switch from PBS
Well, now that you mentioned Gwen Ifill (I don't care for her), it reminded me of Jim Lehrer. He's the same "type" as Russert. Can't think of anyone else of that ilk. Myself, I like Carl Cameron (Fox)...just like his demeanor, smarts and spunk....but he is surely a long shot.

Keith Olberman is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Well, now that you mentioned Gwen Ifill (I don't care for her), it reminded me of Jim Lehrer. He's the same "type" as Russert. Can't think of anyone else of that ilk. Myself, I like Carl Cameron (Fox)...just like his demeanor, smarts and spunk....but he is surely a long shot.

Keith Olberman is a joke.
I like Jim Lehrer also, he's a good interviewer and he seems very objective, which is so rare in today's media age.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,885 times
I have to agree that Joe Scarborough would be a good choice. He's got a solid background in politics and journalism and is very fair in his reporting.

I personally like Brit Hume, but can't see him leaving Fox.

John Stossel ? You might as well put Katie Couric in and be done with it. I could never take him seriously.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Are you kidding me? The President always tersely called him "Gregory" and sure did not seem to have a lot of love between them.

However, I will admit that Gregory has been much more balanced than he was before his new slot at 6:00 that he took over from Tucker (who I liked a lot).
The President was offended that anyone would dare even ask him a question, which is probably the reason for the terse "Gregory".

I was not impressed with any of the press coverage prior to the war and since David Gregory was one of the few that actually had access to be able to ask questions, I find fault with his inability to ask the hard questions.

I've only seen bits of his show on MSNBC, but it seems very sensationalized and haven't seen a lot of substance in terms of his interviews (which is what Meet the Press is about)

Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,611 times
What about Pat Buchanan or Lou Dobbs? I think Chris Matthew is eventually gonna be the replacement.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Buchanan? Dobbs? Stossel? Why not just get Jessica Simpson? If all you want is a Sunday version of a talk show where the guest comes on to pitch his new book or tout her latest movie, the qualifications for host aren't very high. The pols come in, they go through their talking points, they express their practiced expressions, then they go home again. Is there a point? Why not break the mold? Why not a news/interview program where the host is actually conversant on the issues and can force a pol or two to go beyond the talking points. Or is it simply the case these days that people would rather be entertained than informed?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Buchanan? Dobbs? Stossel? Why not just get Jessica Simpson? If all you want is a Sunday version of a talk show where the guest comes on to pitch his new book or tout her latest movie, the qualifications for host aren't very high. The pols come in, they go through their talking points, they express their practiced expressions, then they go home again. Is there a point? Why not break the mold? Why not a news/interview program where the host is actually conversant on the issues and can force a pol or two to go beyond the talking points. Or is it simply the case these days that people would rather be entertained than informed?
I presume by your past post that Al Sharpton is your choice. I don't have a problem with that.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Sharpton, despite his image, is a sharp cookie. Not sure he would take the job, or that he'd be the best one for it. But at least he'd be outside the box. The talk shows today are little more than pointless infomercials that people regularly mistake for actual news programs. Perhaps it's time for a product upgrade...

Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,337 times
I say have the guest come in and surprise them with Chris Hanson waiting to drill them with questions. I mean he can make perverts sweat why not politicians

Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
I think that Chris Matthews would be the logical choice. His style of interview is similar in many ways to that of Russert and, like Russert, Matthews tends to do his homework- which would be even better since he would have a whole week to prepare for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies