Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Mike I'm ashamed of what people do in the name of jesus christ, their actions are blasphemous. I'm ashamed of what my country does to its own in the name of democracy, the act is seditious. I'm ashamed of what my country does to other countries in the name of democracy, it's grotesque hypocricy.

These collective actions are the true parody of what are noble principles to willingly abide by as individuals. Instead, they twist it into something horrific and force feed everyone around them.
Bless you for saying it so eloquently. Most of what goes on is far removed from the spirit of Jesus as you can get. Supreme beings weep for what is done by the hands of those who claim to represent them here on earth.

Today, with jokers like dobson, robertson, frc, fotf, et al, it's all about greed and money, which they think will get them 'in' with chimpy and rove to the point that THEIR agenda will be put into public law. Isn't going to happen.

Chimpy and Rove refer to main talking head evangelicals as "useful idiots" and for good reason. Dobson, et al, brought money and votes, expected a quid pro quo (reversing roe v wade or a national ban on gay rights and marriage) but got stiffed. Bend over Dobson, et al, the GOP has had you too.

I doubt any of these weenies on here have read David Kuo's book (Tempting Faith) that details all of chimpy's broken promises to the evangelical right wing. Promises like $6B for faith based initiatives. Kuo, for those who don't know, worked in chimpy's white house, in the office for faith based initiatives. Rove and/or others simply lined-out all of the budget requests from Kuo and and his boss in the white house. A grand sum of $68M got allocated, mostly in grants to "faith based" groups who were KNOWN supporters of chimpy. That's all folks, not the $6B that chimpy was heard to offer when he was running for office. For those who care to know more about Kuo, see: David Kuo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've read the book, what a tale of political manipulation and dirty tricks, but it got Bush elected twice. Now, dobson is furious that none of his agenda is in public law, so he is going after Obama and the gays with hitler-like fury, afraid that if a DEM gets elected he will lose what little is left of his aura with the GOP and the "faithful" suckers that send him money.

Gays should be protected by the laws against hate crimes and hate speech. Time to end gay bashing, like it was way past the time to stop lynching of black men, not allowing Jews to enter beaches (from the 1930's, my parents saw the "Gentiles Only" signs at the beaches in MD where we lived), not allowing women or blacks to vote, the list goes on and on. Time to end the bigotry towards gay people, they are hurting no one. They don't deserve to be picked on because they are different. They don't deserve to be picked on any more than blacks, latino's, asians, females, elderly, other religions, other nationalities, etc deserve to be picked on. Time for half of our fellow Americans to grow the hell up, shut up, and get on with their own lives.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-24-2008 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is such a thing as free religion and free speech in this country. If people want to believe the Scripture that says homosexuality is a sin, they have the right to. Just as you have the right to believe it is normal, natural, and nice.
You may believe anything you want. Just keep your flavor of voodoo, myth and superstition out of our government. Whatever set of scripture you prefer is fine, keep it in your personal life and OUT of our government. There are HUNDREDS of flavors of religion. Dobson's version is NOT the only one and neither he nor any other preacher is going to turn this nation into a theocracy like the Taliban did to Afghanistan. If you don't like the idea of homosexuals, then don't associate with them, it's just that easy. (By the same token, if you don't like abortion, DON'T have one. Duh.) Honor your faith all your wish, just keep it OUT of our government. The LAW says that all men are created equal, then that should include the right to marry and hold a job without being discriminated against.

The supreme court of California seems to agree. More states will follow suit.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree it's anybodys right to believe in religion and nobody should have to dismiss their beliefs for someone else.
Cool... but keep these beliefs out of our government, please. Laws should be based on logic, reason, and researched facts - not religion, which is subjective at best.

My religion (not myself personally) discourages inter-faith marriages, and the most religious of them are vehemently opposed... but when was the last time a bunch of Jewish people protested outside an inter-faith wedding? And have you heard of us trying to pass laws against it?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
We can go back and forth about this for the next few days, but it isn't necessary. It is a fact that a child is best raised with a mother (female) and a father (male). The end!
That's no more reason to ban homosexuals from getting married than it is to ban single women and single men from being parents. Don't the majority of America's children today come from homes where there is not a male dad and female mom present?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Cool... but keep these beliefs out of our government, please. Laws should be based on logic, reason, and researched facts - not religion, which is subjective at best.
Amen, and thanks. The U. S. Constitution and the Rule of Law are all that matter in our government. The founding fathers had the incredible wisdom to install a wall between church and state, as neither should rule the other - and I get furious with righteous indignation when anyone thinks THEIR version of faith should be the "model" for public law.

To get juvenile for a moment, for the benefit of our less gifted posters, consider the strangeness out there in the wonderful wacky world of religion, such as these uplifting examples:
- that plural marriage sect of wacko's down in Texas that have been in the news lately;
- the rastafari movement that thinks smoking pot is sacred;
- the christian scientists who don't believe in modern medicine and would rather see their own kids die from appendicitis rather than have them operated upon;
- the sweet tempered Amish who don't believe in motorized gizmo's, and if we'd left our nation to THIER doctrine, then Hitler's tanks would've rolled right over them, us and everyone else;
- the scientologists who are considered a cult by many nations - even Tom Cruise wasn't allowed into Germany for this reason. Hardly a religion by any stretch.

These are the better examples of the insane forms of belief that exist. There are many more. Keeping all forms of religious doctrine / belief OUT of our government is the ONLY way our nation can exist in a state of democracy and equal treatment under the law.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-24-2008 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 07:47 PM

242 posts, read 193,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's no more reason to ban homosexuals from getting married than it is to ban single women and single men from being parents. Don't the majority of America's children today come from homes where there is not a male dad and female mom present?
I brought up the same points, but Fleet refused to acknowledge them.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree it's anybodys right to believe in religion and nobody should have to dismiss their beliefs for someone else.
Nor should they impose their tyranny on others.
Keep your religion out of everyone else's lives.
Keep your religion and religious beliefs out of my government completely.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
I brought up the same points, but Fleet refused to acknowledge them.
Because it would be pointless to do so.
I post facts and all of the replies are "but what about..."

Old 06-25-2008, 02:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Those facts are hotly disputed, and you ignored that in this thread.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nor should they impose their tyranny on others.
Keep your religion out of everyone else's lives.
Keep your religion and religious beliefs out of my government completely.
Another example of intolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies