Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Btw, San Francisco Pride is this weekend, and I think the timing couldn't be better! I look forward to seeing all the newly married couples there, and I'm guessing they'll have a special float to celebrate. Anyone else going to their local Prides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We have a children's book at my library called "All Families are Different," and I think some of you could stand to read it.

Gizmo watch out they will be outside your library with pitchforks and torches demanding it be removed!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Btw, San Francisco Pride is this weekend, and I think the timing couldn't be better! I look forward to seeing all the newly married couples there, and I'm guessing they'll have a special float to celebrate. Anyone else going to their local Prides?
We had Pridefest here I think 2 weekends ago but I didn't go, it totally rained the day they were supposed to have the parade, although they probably still had it anyway. I went to Gay Pride in Chicago one year, that was crazy fun. It's usually in June, they may have had it already. Have fun!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Again, it has been shown that both a male and female figure (parents) are best for a child.
I know many single parents have trouble-- men raising daughters seek out females to offer them advice, and vice versa for women raising sons in need of male guidance. I think parenting is the hardest job in the world, and there are few avenues of true experts other than those who have successfully raised healthy children. Most stuff on the bookshelf is pop psychology gobbledy ****. Dr spock can only carry people so far, then they have to put the book down and look their kid in the eye.

I believe any reference to statistics you make are intrinsically flawed considering many gays were banned in many places from being foster parents on the basis that 1. they weren't married and 2. homosexuality was illegal 3. their own safety was not guaranteed in their community due to hate groups. The statistics of gay parents would be equally flawed because they represent such a small pool of examples having been discriminated against for so long. Thing of it is, if you prevent them from being parents, you create self fullfilling prophecy- which is wholly irrational.

I think hetero's need to educate themselves about what being gay really means and there isn't much real information out there other than meeting and getting to know them on one on one basis. More importantly I think heteros need to examine their own attitudes towards sexuality and ask themselves if they think its right that police should dictate how to properly mount your spouse. Pretty ridiculous when you look at it from that perspective, huh? Monty python sketch comes to mind.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
We can go back and forth about this for the next few days, but it isn't necessary. It is a fact that a child is best raised with a mother (female) and a father (male). The end!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM

242 posts, read 193,135 times
Quote:
The end!
For you, that is.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
We can go back and forth about this for the next few days, but it isn't necessary. It is a fact that a child is best raised with a mother (female) and a father (male). The end!
Sorry, but it simply is not a fact... you can say that until you're blue in the face, and it won't change reality. At least provide sources to verify your "fact," or call it what it really is - OPINION.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Gizmo watch out they will be outside your library with pitchforks and torches demanding it be removed!
LOL... "And Tango Makes Three" (about the "gay" penguins) was the #1 challenged book of the year, and it's still sitting on most library shelves! They can protest all they want, but we believe in a pesky thing called intellectual freedom - sorry.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
I will most likely go to the NYC Pride. Should be fun.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
This would be the difference between a dialogue and a monologue. If you don't mean to discuss things rationally, with the possibility of new information, then I question why you exist on blogs at all save for seeking out like minded folks to bolster preconcieved ideas of the world.

This isn't making sense at all to me. You're here to preach or learn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies