Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, I don't care what you believe.
Just keep it away from me.
I don't believe what you do, I don't believe in any god thing.
I challenge you to show me any one of my posts where I imply that you shouldn't believe what you believe personally?
I will ask, nay, demand, that you keep your religious beliefs out of my life; just as you don't want my beliefs becoming law over yours.
Unless you do want my beliefs to be forced upon you.
You see you jump at the chance to spew hate, I never said anything religious, I never said I was religious, I said i agree that the religious have their right to speak also, thats it, the facts are I am not a religious person but I believe everyone should be able to speak their opinion without being called intolerant or a Bigot. It doesn't matter to me if you state your beliefs, you have that right, I won't be the one calling you names for it or jumping on to you or trying to tell you I'm right and your wrong because that is not what I do. All I've done is make an observation of a pattern and opined on it.
Thanks for confirming my observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
...but I believe everyone should be able to speak their opinion without being called intolerant or a Bigot.
Where does the last part come in? Everyone has the right to express his or her opinion; where does anyone get immunity from being called ignorant or a bigot, if he or she fits the bill? If you put your opinion out there, that's what you get. This is why now that I'm a grown-up I don't understand people who whine because people were mean to them on the internet--I don't think anyone forced them to post anything.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Where does the last part come in? Everyone has the right to express his or her opinion; where does anyone get immunity from being called ignorant or a bigot, if he or she fits the bill? If you put your opinion out there, that's what you get. This is why now that I'm a grown-up I don't understand people who whine because people were mean to them on the internet--I don't think anyone forced them to post anything.
I've been reading all these posts and seen a lot of people called Bigot when they didn't call the other anything, all they did was give an opinion and it wasn't disrespectfull at all, each one of these topics are very one sided with insults. If people want to claim to be an adult, they should act like one, they should have learned while they were children that calling names does nothing to help their cause and if anything it makes a person look childish and turns people away from their cause. I've been observing the actions of people on these threads and I've came to the conclusion that they serve no purpose at all because one side will not let the other state an opinion without insults and name calling. I'm not insulting anyone I'm just making an observation after watching both sides.
I'm not saying it is everybody who does this and i don't take any of it to heart and mean nothing agians't anyone.

Last edited by Roaddog; 06-25-2008 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 PM

242 posts, read 193,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because it would be pointless to do so.
I post facts and all of the replies are "but what about..."
You didn't post facts. You posted a one-sided opinion, and continue to defend it despite all the information that was given to you by other posters that contradicted and annulled your claims.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
I've been reading all these posts and seen a lot of people called Bigot when they didn't call the other anything, all they did was give an opinion and it wasn't disrespectfull at all, each one of these topics are very one sided with insults. If people want to claim to be an adult, they should act like one, they should have learned while they were children that calling names does nothing to help their cause and if anything it makes a person look childish and turns people away from their cause. I've been observing the actions of people on these threads and I've came to the conclusion that they serve no purpose at all because one side will not let the other state an opinion without insults and name calling. I'm not insulting anyone I'm just making an observation after watching both sides.
I'm not saying it is everybody who does this and i don't take any of it to heart and mean nothing agians't anyone.
Sorry you can't see what is inherently disrespectful. Shall I phrase it so it makes more sense? Lets turn this equation around. My religion says heteros are inherently evil, and I really ought to make your life difficult at every turn. I should get legislative cops in your bedroom and critique your lovemaking, issue tickets, drag you to court, all based on being hetero.

I'm hetero and I'd be offended if anyone were heaping that nonsense on me. I'm perplexed why you can't stretch your mind to see that if what was done to gays were permitted to be imposed on you, you'd be screaming your head off just as loudly.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Quote:
Yes...I have been reading the same posts. I agree with harborlady. If someone chimes in and says that heterosexuality is sinful, against a deity, unnatural, inherently wrong, etc., I would expect someone to then chime in and call that person a bigot. I agree that name-calling for no apparent reason accomplishing nothing and honestly, calling someone a bigot accomplishing nothing also, but that doesn't mean it can't be accurate.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Sorry you can't see what is inherently disrespectful. Shall I phrase it so it makes more sense? Lets turn this equation around. My religion says heteros are inherently evil, and I really ought to make your life difficult at every turn. I should get legislative cops in your bedroom and critique your lovemaking, issue tickets, drag you to court, all based on being hetero.

I'm hetero and I'd be offended if anyone were heaping that nonsense on me. I'm perplexed why you can't stretch your mind to see that if what was done to gays were permitted to be imposed on you, you'd be screaming your head off just as loudly.
I pay little attention to such things, I've been treated poorly many times but I can take it.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Yes...I have been reading the same posts. I agree with harborlady. If someone chimes in and says that heterosexuality is sinful, against a deity, unnatural, inherently wrong, etc., I would expect someone to then chime in and call that person a bigot. I agree that name-calling for no apparent reason accomplishing nothing and honestly, calling someone a bigot accomplishing nothing also, but that doesn't mean it can't be accurate.
The thing is that even if someone just states an opinon with no disrespect they are called Bigots. An example being someone said they had nothing agians't gays but believed marriage was between a man and woman and they were called intolerant and a bigot just for that, I have been called the same and did not even post my opinion just a simple observation of a post.
Name calling only hurts those who are doing it, it inforces the others beliefs, i see it in all threads on all topics and have been the center of some of it, rational discussion serves a better purpose, just because two groups do not agree doesn't mean they can't have a meaningfull debate on the subject.
Hey I'm sorry for being so off topic for this thread, I'll shut up and return to my hole Thanks for listening to my rambleing.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM

242 posts, read 193,413 times
Quote:
Forgive me, but when a heterosexual, bible-thumping blowhard attempts to superciliously, unreservedly, and speciously relegate the existence of gay people to an abomination or aberration, singling them out utilizing an ancient book of desert fairy tales to justify their claims, continually denying common knowledge ranging from sexuality to science that has been all but completely accepted by academic communities the world over, and being historically responsible for suppressing and eradicating the rights and lives of minorities and other entire factions of people across a vast, diverse catalog of religious, social, political, and economic tyranny stretching back to the advent of Judeo-Christian doctrine and persisting to this very day, they are most certainly deserving of the title, "bigot."

I have no misgivings about its applicability and, indeed, it is the minimum terminology that can be used to describe such people.

A kinder, gentler word would be a disservice to humanity and a regression back to an era when their oppressive, sadistic, and utterly insane views went unchallenged by the masses.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
I pay little attention to such things, I've been treated poorly many times but I can take it.
I think if the law were against you, you'd see this as more than being treated poorly by ignorant people who don't rate. This is a whole other level of govt sanctioned stupidity we're talking about in this thread. Your life, livelihood, and everything precious to you hasn't been on the line since the day you found out you were hetero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies