Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,097,562 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is why people here assume that all servicemen agree with the Bush policy?? They have minds and ideals of their own. They are supposed to keep their mouths shut about politics when they are representing their country. Which is why you do not see soldiers in uniform on CNN bashing the war. It would be the end of their military career.

Just because I have not served does not make my opinion any less relevant or my husband's service here in the states any less valueable to this country.

DD- interesting point. I never knew my uncle served in Nam as a medic until I was much older and still have heard him say maybe 1 or 2 words about it in my 28 years. Guess it depends on what you saw and how you processed it..

Yap- it always seems that the people driving with the ribbons are the first to flip off DH while he is in uniform. Kind of ironic, then again we are in New England so maybe it is just a coincidence lots of people with ribbons and lots of road rage LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 01:28 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,497,935 times
[quote=winnie;292662]What I don't get is why people here assume that all servicemen agree with the Bush policy?? They have minds and ideals of their own. They are supposed to keep their mouths shut about politics when they are representing their country. Which is why you do not see soldiers in uniform on CNN bashing the war. It would be the end of their military career.

You're right their military career would be down the drain real quick. And depending on what they said may be a Court Martial offense. Some will say things in a private conversation that they wouldn't dare speak in public.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,412,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
What I don't get is why people here assume that all servicemen agree with the Bush policy?? They have minds and ideals of their own. They are supposed to keep their mouths shut about politics when they are representing their country. Which is why you do not see soldiers in uniform on CNN bashing the war. It would be the end of their military career.

Just because I have not served does not make my opinion any less relevant or my husband's service here in the states any less valueable to this country.

DD- interesting point. I never knew my uncle served in Nam as a medic until I was much older and still have heard him say maybe 1 or 2 words about it in my 28 years. Guess it depends on what you saw and how you processed it..

Yap- it always seems that the people driving with the ribbons are the first to flip off DH while he is in uniform. Kind of ironic, then again we are in New England so maybe it is just a coincidence lots of people with ribbons and lots of road rage LOL!
agreed that not all of those in the military will support Bush,on another outdoor forum I frequent there are alot of ex military and some current military members and while the active duty tend not to bash as much the some of the vets have stated they feel let down by Bush as so do I.

Clinton was no friend of the military,I had high hopes for Bush and in both foreign and domestic he has let me down.The active duty friends,family and people in general I know in real life do not often comment on the politics,one of the things they give up is free speech while in service.

But this thread is not exclusively about Bush or Iraq,its about being drafted.When I was of the age to be drafted under the Clinton admin,as much as I thought he was a bad president,if I would have been drafted then because of his policies I would have gone.

And while I have stated previously I never served in uniform,I agree also that even being a civilian you can be a patriot,its not about being a summer soldier or sunshine patriot.

What I disagree on what some have said,that they would hide because they would not be drafted because of their disdain for Bush exclusively or their disagreement with being in Iraq.So the question is,say for instance they followed the side politically of someone like Clinton,would they be willing to go if Clinton had blundered in the same regard.If Somalia had esculated to a war,would they have been willing to be drafted for there?Then again being willing is not part of it really, unless you want to loose your citizenship.

Overall as far as vets past service is concerned,its been my experience that they do not flaunt their ribbons or medals ,that they tend to be proud but not speak to much of their experiences in combat.I remember as a kid asking my dad to tell me some of his war stories,he always diverted the story to "funny" moments like his friends or being served unknowingly dogmeat at a village in Korea but I remember hearing him wake up at night sometimes with a scream and that says what it says.He was a grunt in Korea and crewchief in a gunship in Vietnam btw.

Last edited by lionking; 01-21-2007 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,097,562 times
While I joke occasionally about some of the DQ's out there, I believe that if you are drafted you should serve unless you really, truely have an objection to ALL wars in general, not just to the policy of the president in office. America voted this guy (idiot LOL!) in and if our boys and gals in uniform are going to go to the sandbox and serve and die for what the majority voted for...well I think you should stand up in the time of need and go as well if you are called.

If you dislike Bush and hate how he handled his military service how could you look at yourself in the mirror for dodging our military when they need you? Think of it that way. You'd be no better than him. Or Clinton.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,772,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
While I joke occasionally about some of the DQ's out there, I believe that if you are drafted you should serve unless you really, truely have an objection to ALL wars in general, not just to the policy of the president in office. America voted this guy (idiot LOL!) in and if our boys and gals in uniform are going to go to the sandbox and serve and die for what the majority voted for...well I think you should stand up in the time of need and go as well if you are called.

If you dislike Bush and hate how he handled his military service how could you look at yourself in the mirror for dodging our military when they need you? Think of it that way. You'd be no better than him. Or Clinton.
You think these pink panty wearing liberals writing here would do their duty if drafted... NOT!.... Most here are nothing but would be draft dodgers if called to defend this country....Just read what most have written....They want their freedom of speech as long as they are not the ones that have to fight and die for that freedom.....

Old 01-22-2007, 02:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,615,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
You think these pink panty wearing liberals writing here would do their duty if drafted... NOT!.... Most here are nothing but would be draft dodgers if called to defend this country....Just read what most have written....They want their freedom of speech as long as they are not the ones that have to fight and die for that freedom.....
The only freedom America needs is freedom from idiocy.

For that, we only need to be armed with voter registration cards. Unfortunately, it would seem most Americans kind of like it.

As for me, *I* determine who I fight, and why. If someone tries to put me in harms way they're on notice, I'll be putting them in the same position.
Basic law of the jungle.

-TT

Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,772,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
The only freedom America needs is freedom from idiocy.

For that, we only need to be armed with voter registration cards. Unfortunately, it would seem most Americans kind of like it.

As for me, *I* determine who I fight, and why. If someone tries to put me in harms way they're on notice, I'll be putting them in the same position.
Basic law of the jungle.

-TT

^^^^^^
PROVES MY POINT ABOUT WHAT I SAID .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies