Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Despite Hillary Clinton's success, U.S. women remain held back by glass ceilings, lower pay, child-bearing responsibilities and sexism, a female lawmaker says in a new book backed up by survey results.

"We tell girls and young women in this country that if they work hard and play by the rules, they can achieve anything. But guess what -- they can't," Rep. Carolyn Maloney, an eight-term Democratic congresswoman from New York, told Reuters in an interview.

U.S. women far from equality, lawmaker's book says | U.S. | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Just like a woman to say something like that.

Seriously, we live in an age where women are becoming corporate chiefs, becoming congresswomen, and (gasp) running for President. In fact, if Hillary hadn't been such a lazy tool in mapping out her campaign strategy, she would be rolling into Denver the winner, rather than Barack Obama.

An entire spate of surveys has come out recently on the subject of comparable pay. Really, the disparity comes when women drop out to become SAHMs during a considerable portion of their career. Women who do not have children have comparable pay levels with men, and women who continue to work are pretty close.

Personally, I would love to have the option to drop out of the rat race for ten-twelve years and have my spouse support me while I raise the kids. But not only would I risk penury but, as a man, I would risk absolute contempt from society.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
You're not talking mainstream, you're talking anomalies.
Do you really think that Hillary wouldn't have been swiftboated? Look at the garbage that's been thrown at her for the past 18 years. She has been compared to the devil on more than one occasion. Limbaugh has even called for her daughter to be killed.

The issues you mention are taken into account.
What's the percentage of SAHM or SAHF compared to the women who have kids and continue to work?

Your gender bias is showing.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:37 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Despite Hillary Clinton's success, U.S. women remain held back..., child-bearing responsibilities
Although I am as flaming as the next liberal... it's not the government or society's job to make sure women are indemnified against the consequences of having kids. That's a private thing she should work out with her husband/boyfriend/sperm donor beforehand. Regardless of what Feminists say, there are real biological differences between men and women, and if a woman wants to have kids, she will end up shouldering alot of that responsibility and sacrificing part of her own life to do so. To do anything less is irresponsible as a parent.

Otherwise, this talk is just lame, pointless defeatism. Maybe Conservatives are right, perhaps some of my cohort does like to whine a bit too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies