Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM

564 posts, read 815,637 times

Advertisements

If Obama gets elected and people who make over $250k (or whatever the # is) get taxed at 50% why work hard?

What's the point? We lose our incentive to work hard.

I think this is one of the defining liberal vs. conservative arguments and I'd love to hear the liberal side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
I imagine those that make above $250,000 can afford very good accountants to hide, squirrel, and loop hole their money away from the IRS. Just like any democrat

Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 PM

The guy or gal making for $250K probably either owns a business, is a doctor or a lawyer. Not necessarily those 3.. but more than likely.

The poor people out their better be careful what they wish for. I want business owners who push our economy forward to be rich.. I want my surgeon who is doing surgery on me to be rich and happy and I want the lawsuit filed against me overturned by my lawyer. People forget that the people being taxed the most are many of the people who make our economy move forward and keep us alive.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
For the record, if someone is rich, then they probably got there by a lot of hard work, sweat, blood, and tears..or at least someone in their family did.

I'm all for not having to work any more. Although, I do get great benefits with the company I work with (97% healthcare coverage, free cell phone service, 25% discounts on pretty much anything I buy)..Anyways, my point is that not all companies are the big and bad tyrants that so many rule them out to be. There are quite a few (although, still minority) that do actually care for their employees.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008

Obama's tax increases start at $604k and up.

227k-603k will get an avg. $12 increase
Everyone below that gets a decrease.

Quote:
McCain: The average taxpayer in every income group would see a lower tax bill, but high-income taxpayers would benefit more than everyone else.

Obama: High-income taxpayers would pay more in taxes, while everyone else's tax bill would be reduced. Those who benefit the most - in terms of reducing their taxes as a percentage of after-tax income - are in the lowest income groups.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
this is not my opinion but I will tell you what some think about this based on haven debated them,and namely from outside countries,

They will say that these people wouldn't have made to where they are without the people who worked under them and from society in general promoting them. like customers.

They will say that there is nothing wrong with being rich but why does anybody need to own billions of dollars and 10 or 20 factories when there are many who have nothing........

They will say that a guy who lays bricks works harder than alot of pencil pushers but recieves wages barely enough to sustain themselves.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
If Obama gets elected and people who make over $250k (or whatever the # is) get taxed at 50% why work hard?

What's the point? We lose our incentive to work hard.

I think this is one of the defining liberal vs. conservative arguments and I'd love to hear the liberal side.
Pride in one's work is the ONLY rational incentive to work hard. You work hard because you SHOULD, not because you're going to get any kind of extrinsic reward.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008

Obama's tax increases start at $604k and up.

227k-603k will get an avg. $12 increase
Everyone below that gets a decrease.
You help out my point even more..

So the people making $600k and more will lose their incentive to work. So no more huge companies keeping prices low for consumers.. no more brain surgeons.. no more physicists and scientists.. no more brilliant CEOs.

But wait... my car mechanic will earn more.. the janitor who cleans my office will earn more.

Wow.. America is going to be great!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Pride in one's work is the ONLY rational incentive to work hard. You work hard because you SHOULD, not because you're going to get any kind of extrinsic reward.
I haven't been a member of this site long but this one takes the cake.

Let's poll America...

Your boss walks in your office and says "I just reduced your pay by %50" how many of you would keep working there?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
There should be no limit to the amount one can earn -

If one works hard, and has the ability to earn more - more power to them.

250,000 is not, repeat NOT rich -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies