Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times

Advertisements

Aren't teens who get pregnant less likely to graduate?
And obviously without much education, work is more difficult to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Good parents shouldn't be burdened with anything...
Disagreement solved. You agree that it's wrong to burden good parents (and non-parents, I assume) with the burden of paying for teaching sex ed to the children of scum and the burden of exposing decent kids to sex courses their parents don't approve of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL
Now, why should I have to deal with the results of the bad parents?
Because you love freedom and understand that freedom includes the option to make bad choices and, as a society, we have to pay to maintain freedom rather than usurp a parents right to teach their children as they please and the right of property (by forcing someone to pay for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
All kids deserve basic knowledge in order to make more educated choices.
Yes... if you have a sense of entitlement you believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismsmom
But they are entitled to know that there are other choices to make than screwing everybody you know and getting pregnant b/c that's the way it's done by their parents.
That's silly.

If you truly believe that, our system is structured in such a way that you can form a 503c and collect donations to fund your marketing. Why not take responsibility on your own rather than demanding others, via the government, doing your work as an American? Why is it always someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismsmom
Sorry to be blunt but you seem to refuse to see that not everyone is as perfect as you and we need to make the information more accessible.
Don't be silly. Just because I take responsibility for my actions doesn't mean I haven't made big mistakes. The difference between us, I believe, is that I recognize that the hardship I've endured is my fault and not the fault of the government not giving me something that I misperceive as being owed to me. Believe it or not, a lot of people actually take personal responsibility for what goes on in their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Why does America have trouble reversing teen pregnancy and it's connection to out of wedlock births and child poverty in certain areas of the country?
What are you implying? What does "have trouble" mean? It sounds like a veiled accusation and implication.

Either way, because it's not an "American" problem... It's a problem specific to some areas and some dirtballs.

What I'd like to know is what have you personally done in the last year to reverse teen pregnancy or are you just another person who thinks it's everyone else's responsibility but yours?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Aren't teens who get pregnant less likely to graduate?
And obviously without much education, work is more difficult to find.
I think that entirely depends on the support that the teen gets; I know we're talking about high school but I got pregnant my junior year of college. My mom told me flat out "I will only help you if you finish school. If you drop out, you're on your own."

So many of my other friends who got pregnant just went home. Moved right back into their old bedrooms and some are still there. Others dropped out of school and took crappy little jobs because they're parents refused to help them.

A lot parents look at the pregnancy the same way society does "now you got this kid say goodbye to your future" and so they stop expecting their children to excel or be successful, which is really sad. I'm not saying that these parents have to be responsible for their grandkids but pregnant teens already have to hear from the world that they just screwed up their lives, they shouldn't have to hear it from their parents too.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Recipe for Poverty
1.Drop out of high school
2.Have children out of Wedlock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies