Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
... If the Palestinians miraculously disappeared and Lebanon were quiet, there'd be little violence in the Middle East ( I realize Iraq is currently in chaos). It's focused on the Palestinians and for now, Lebanese.
I frankly don't give a damn about either one of them.
If it were only that easy! There is still a tremendous amount of animosity towards the Jews in that region. There are even passages of the Qu'ran that say Jews are apes and pigs, and basically less than human (moderates don't preach this, but we know the moderates aren't the ones in power over there). The palestinians are really just a convenient scapegoat by the middle eastern countries to have a legitimate reason to desire the death of Isreal. They (the palestinians) are actually the ones being exploited and they don't realize it. Even if the palestinians were gone, I garauntee that Iran would still be calling for the destruction of Isreal, etc. There will never be true peace in that region until Isreal is gone and we must wake up and realize that. This is not our fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:24 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Maybe the IDEA.... isn't such a bad thing after all....

....if they stop to think about the horrors and ruin it will bring them, maybe just the thought of it will make them sit down and resolve to work things out before it gets to the hot war stage... then again, it seems most days that those people are so hell bent for blood, any blood, that they'll do this anyway no matter how hard we try to stop it... but I still think when those countries really have to invest THEIR money and lives (not OURS) that it might bring cooler heads to the table and hopefully they'll come up with regional solutions of THEIR making, not something the west imposes on them... Then again, maybe I'm dreaming...

Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
MSNBC is running an article about a possible regional war in the Middle East involving Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Saudi Arabia.

What do you think of a possible invasion of Iran and Syria and is the US military as it stands now capable of waging such a war in these countries in addition to current operations Iraq and Afghanistan?

What would you think of Saudia Arabia possibly invading Iraq and Iran?

The possibility is great but they all have the same denominator RELIGION. This is a make or break because they are link by religion.

I have deployed to Saudi and they do have a great arsenal to defend or attack is the need arises. They purchased F-16, bombs, MH-53, and lots of radar stuff from us. Also the have an alliance with England so they get the best of both worlds.

Time will tell and what the USA will offer to break the religious alliance...

Under the table negotiations are on going, this is a normal approach from our government....

Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

I have deployed to Saudi and they do have a great arsenal to defend or attack is the need arises. They purchased F-16, bombs, MH-53, and lots of radar stuff from us. Also the have an alliance with England so they get the best of both worlds.
I've got to wonder what Russia is supplying the other countries with though... Russia would never sell their "very best" to other countries but you gotta wonder what they would sell.

One thing that concerns me about the current USA leadership is that our relationships with other countries seem to have become more strained. Bush has pretty much ruled out talking to countries he doesn't like (North Korea, Iran, Syria, probably more). What good can come out of that? I know, initially, people thought that put him in a position of strength -- but now I see it as a sign of weakness.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm bumping this back up because it should be getting more consideration than it is getting.

Our government appears to be leading us into a larger middle east war, not a smaller one... This should concern us all.

Also, I grew up thinking that the USA had the best of everything and the brightest and the newest -- until a few years ago I became privy to some private papers that belonged to a person who was "at the top" of the aerospace industry for most of the years in the 20th century. The USA is good, but the USSR is equally good. We can never let our guard down and think we are the best, because we aren't.

After the Cold War ended and Russian scientists came out and showed what was in their bag of tricks, American scientists were astounded. Their military aircraft was far advanced compared to ours. There were a lot of technological things that the Russians figured out that our guys were never able to figure out. Also, because Russia didn't have a lot of money, their ideas had to work out on paper a gazillion times before anyone was allowed to actually create the product.

Anyway, for anyone who has ideas that the USA is the supreme power and we'll just knock whoever back to the stone age -- you really need to get a grip. We are NOT the bottom line. Other countries have equal, if not more than equal, talent designing weapons and weapon systems. Don't ever look down your nose at the Germans or the Russians who are working on weapon systems because, chances are, they are more brilliant than we are. The USA throws money at these projects. Russia and Germany work within tight budget constraints. And, I'll mention this again, THEY ARE BRILLIANT!!

Our government doesn't pay nearly enough to keep top designers on projects like this. Under GWB, I doubt they cared enough to keep them. GWB seemed to think that threatening was as good as the real thing.

So, while everyone is all snug as a bug in a rug, I'll mention again -- I doubt we are the top weapon designers.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,518 times
Quote:
MSNBC is running an article about a possible regional war in the Middle East involving Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Saudi Arabia.

What do you think of a possible invasion of Iran and Syria and is the US military as it stands now capable of waging such a war in these countries in addition to current operations Iraq and Afghanistan?

It is America's responsibility to destroy all of Israel's enemies. Anybody who disagrees is obviously an anti-Semite. And please, I don't want to hear complaints about Israel getting $3.6 billion a year in aid from the U.S., which is more than all other nations get from the U.S. combined, or any complaints about Israel selling our technology secrets to China. It's all for a good cause, and don't be an anti-Semite.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
It is America's responsibility to destroy all of Israel's enemies. Anybody who disagrees is obviously an anti-Semite. And please, I don't want to hear complaints about Israel getting $3.6 billion a year in aid from the U.S., which is more than all other nations get from the U.S. combined, or any complaints about Israel selling our technology secrets to China. It's all for a good cause, and don't be an anti-Semite.
The sooner the US gets back to having leadership that tells Israel the way it is going to be, the better it is going to be. Israel doesn't run things. The US does. Israel is either with us, or it's a terrorist state and it's against us (per George Bush).

If Hillary wins, Israel better sit in its seat and pay attention -- and do what it is told. I don't think Hillary plays games.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
The sooner the US gets back to having leadership that tells Israel the way it is going to be, the better it is going to be. Israel doesn't run things. The US does. Israel is either with us, or it's a terrorist state and it's against us (per George Bush).

If Hillary wins, Israel better sit in its seat and pay attention -- and do what it is told. I don't think Hillary plays games.
While we shouldn't be openly applauding Isreal when it does things to increase tensions in the region, we should still be on their side in the middle east. In this country we've always taken to heart the saying, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Let's face it, Isreal is definitely the enemy in the Islamic world, which consequently makes them our friend. We also need to be clear in our boundaries and let Isreal know that we don't sanction everything they do, because this only inflames tensions in the region. We should be quiet partners. If the US stop supporting Isreal, the world would be in deep, deep trouble. There would be a WWIII...

Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:

That would be the most likely scenario if we left Iraq right now, or before Iraq is stabilized. It would be all out Sunni vs. Shiite in Iraq and Saudia Arabia (predominatly Sunni) would be forced to get involved on one side to keep it from becoming a Iranian sattelite (Shiite), they have already hinted as much. Iran would then intervene with land forces, and it's ally Syria would follow. Turkey and Jordan would perhaps get involved as well.

The U.S. would be out at that point but, ironically, would be forced back in into a wider, bloodier, regional war.

Strangely enough I don't see israel factoring into this war. They get to sit this one out for once.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-28-2007 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: caught Kdizzles correction SA-Sunni

Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That would be the most likely scenario if we left Iraq right now, or before Iraq is stabilized. It would be all out Sunni vs. Shiite in Iraq and Saudia Arabia (predominatly Shiite) would be forced to get involved on one side to keep it from becoming a Iranian sattelite (Sunni state), they have already hinted as much. Iran would then intervene with land forces, and it's ally Syria would follow. Turkey and Jordan would perhaps get involved as well.

The U.S. would be out at that point but, ironically, would be forced back in into a wider, bloodier, regional war.
I just had a slight correction. SA is a Sunni state and Iran is a Shiite state, and Iraq was controlled by the Sunni (the minority), while there is a predominantly Shiite population living there. Aside from the mixup of the religions, you are quite accurate in your assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies